Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WiP] UE4 Forest

Hey dudes, got this environment that I wanted to start getting some feedback on.

A lot of this stuff is placeholder-ish, my goals from here, in no particular order, are:

- New slope rocks
- Cliff rock
- More medium sized plants/trees
- Another species of tree
- Make the LOD 0 for the trees look better
- New grass
- Cloud particles (for between mountains)
- Procedurally placed water streams/lakes (maybe)
- Get a high framerate (optimize!)

Constructive criticism would be appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    That looks incredibly impressive, gtfo of here with your "need crits!" because that's some fantastic work.

Ok, now that I'm over how awesome a job you've already done, the rocks look a bit low poly for Lod 0 and are maybe a bit too shiny, the trees are too uniform so maybe another species and/or scaling them a bit more. I'm having a hard time reading the scale and etc. of the rocky/boulder texture on the near right here:

And the Lod 0 for the trees could definitely use some more polys. Still, wow, wonderful work overall.
  • Stranger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stranger polycounter lvl 5
    Is the foliage hand made? If so good work. reminded me of the south east side of Skyrims map. 
  • rexus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexus polycounter lvl 16
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking awesome for far! One critique would be that you have trees growing in high elevation, snowy places in the mountains which is too common of an occurrence in real life. In addition maybe a river flowing through this valley would look interesting although this point is up to your opinion. I agree with the previously said points about adding different species of trees and the scaling of the texture of the mountain whacking the environment out of scale.
  • Mr Significant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Significant polycounter lvl 11
    Amazing work lad. If I could add anything here, it could be lower the bloom on the snow over distance on terrain. Here:

It brings a little too much distraction onto the screen. Also glossines on rocks is little too high, but its just for me. And I know, glossy and bright things looks awesome on screen, just not on that scale :smile: 

• satanicfudge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I appreciate all the kind words and crits :D

FreneticPonies - I'm glad you think so :smile: Yeah, you're right, it looks really weird between the size and the shiny. The rocks on that mountain are supposed to be more like pebbles in most of my reference images haha (they're actually mesh, with no LODs, which is probably why it only runs at like 35 fps.....), I'll try and get the new rocks in the next couple of days between Christmas stuff, like smaller pebbles mixed with medium rocks, mixed with big cool large sharp stuff pointing out. I was thinking of leaving it with LODs but I'm coming around to having it as a texture.
    Stranger - Yeah all hand made sort of, I used 3DS Max' object paint a lot. I might use SpeedTree towards the end for that sweet sweet wind physics on the LOD 0/1s, and maybe for smaller details, I dunno (thanks btw)
    rexus - :blush:
    Robeomega - Thanks man! Yeah I'll try and set the tree generation slope thing to cap off at like 45 degrees or something, then just tweak from there. I'll try and get water in soonish 
    Mr Significant - The bloom actually hadn't occurred to me before! It's set at its default, I'll tweak it a bit from here. I thought it was ok before I introduced large amounts of pure white into a kind of dark scene, never came back to me to change it haha, thanks dude.

Now I'm hoping I can get the rocks in tomorrow or the day after, and up the performance a bit (a lot).

• Johan26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Johan26 polycounter lvl 8