Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Flipflop's Progress Thread

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Flipflop_Ninjasaur polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys, I'm just starting this thread to get C&C on my work as I progress through it.

Just going to be posting my progress as I go on this.

Right now I'm working on a sci-fi room based on a concept called Hacker's Hideout by Michael Voogt located here.
michel-voogt-hacker-s-room.jpg?1432816216

And my progress on modelling so far:

eylOhX3.jpg

Thanks, hope to see you around. :)

Replies

• Flipflop_Ninjasaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress! All the main modeling is done. Tomorrow I'm gonna hit the cloth and more organic meshes, which should prove to be an entertaining challenge as I haven't done cloth too much.

CByhC3P.jpg
  • Stavaas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Nice job man! Looks like a really fun piece to work on. Looking forward to seeing some lighting and materials :)
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bed feels really short at a glance compare to the concept. Especially when it's near that huge looking desk.

I think you should put some mannequin or human mock-up in there to give you better sense of scale.
  • Flipflop_Ninjasaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DireWolf wrote: »
    The bed feels really short at a glance compare to the concept. Especially when it's near that huge looking desk.

I think you should put some mannequin or human mock-up in there to give you better sense of scale.

I think you're absolutely right. At second glance, it looks like the bed might be too short AND the desk too high. I'll definitely be fixing this. Thanks! :)
  • Flipflop_Ninjasaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas wrote: »
    Nice job man! Looks like a really fun piece to work on. Looking forward to seeing some lighting and materials :)

Thanks! :) I'm looking forward to starting materials so much it hurts.
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    the concept looks interesting piece to work on.
    I also think the bed looks small :)
    Looking forward to this
  • Flipflop_Ninjasaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3622981_orig.jpg

Just more progress. Knocked out the cloth meshes, sculpted the norms and baked them out (not shown here, probably won't be until I compile final materials for them).

I brought in a human model, scaled it to about 5'9" and fixed the bed and desk to fit him appropriately.

Now onto UV's. :D. Probably won't be updates for a day at least while I knock these out, though I may take them into UE4 just to get a lighting mockup done to post here and get feedback on.

Thanks!
  • Flipflop_Ninjasaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AbO4qhe.png

So, I've UV'ed everything, made some basic substances (styrofoam, plastic, metal/grate material which I'll post later). But here's a lighting mockup in UE4. I'd appreciate any critiques or suggestions on this, as lighting is definitely not my forte.

Thanks! :)

Edit: Also, some normals/smoothing groups I need to go fix eventually.
  • remotecrab131
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    remotecrab131 polycounter lvl 9
    I can see this scene's final destination, it's fascinating. And that bed, is dangerous. The amount of detail thou. This will pop if everything is textured nicely.

Hint: Don't make the lighting too bright in the final.
  • Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    Nice, I can't wait for the holographic skinmagazine ;)
  • Flipflop_Ninjasaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can see this scene's final destination, it's fascinating. And that bed, is dangerous. The amount of detail thou. This will pop if everything is textured nicely.

Hint: Don't make the lighting too bright in the final.

Thanks! :) I'll definitely keep that in mind for the final, it does feel super bright atm to me.
    Stinkfoot wrote: »
    Nice, I can't wait for the holographic skinmagazine ;)

Haha, right!? :poly136:
  • Flipflop_Ninjasaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, here's some progress shots. I want to say it's near completion, but I'm just not too happy with it at it stands. I've been mucking about with it for days now, so I'm breaking for the night and coming back to it tomorrow with fresh eyes. Hopefully you guys can give me some good critique on how I can make this better, because I'm not really satisfied with it at all.

R0huSBS.jpg
    5MjcAgp.jpg

On my to do list is whipping up some grime decals, but other than that, I'm all ears.

Edit: So I went back and added some color grading and a bit of post processing and came up with this. It helps a little, but it all still looks amateur to me.

5moj9Ke.jpg
  • Flipflop_Ninjasaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No one interested in critiquing?
  • Flipflop_Ninjasaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fiddling with lighting a bit more. Previously, I had knocked back a lot of the details on the materials but I'm finding they were knocked back way too far to the point of them looking boring, especially the metal on the walls. Also added some grunge here and there and everywhere.

ZlzoY0U.jpg
  • rexus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexus polycounter lvl 16
    hey good work i like the concept but the textures are muddy I can see a lot of cloud or fractal noise in the textures. Your concrete and metals look alike , you should study different types of materials to closely duplicate the material's real world properties. Try adjusting the gloss and roughness maps that would help.You should post your textures.
    here is a like that should help.

http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice

I also like taking the unreal template and working from them
    you can see a lot of faceted edges and in the silhouettes you can get a little more detail in your models by beveling the edges and exaggerating the detail in the normal maps

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/335870084685935964/
    http://www.creativebloq.com/how-make-low-poly-buildings-games-10123111
  • remotecrab131
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    remotecrab131 polycounter lvl 9
    Seems everyone is being busy these days (including me)

To be honest, I would invest more time onto polish all the models with better texture solution. For example, make the texture in PBR standard and give them nicely, nicely done textures.

Though, the lighting is looking really really great. Maybe need some subtle ambient light?
  • Flipflop_Ninjasaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

@rexus: There's actually no concrete in here. Both materials you're looking at are most likely metal. But that just points towards issues with my actual materials.

I'll definitely go back and give them a looking at and reduce the noise amount. I made all my materials in substance designer, so I can just tweak the values a bit and make them look more realistic. I'll come back and post some of my materials here to get some critique on them as well. :).

Thanks for the critiques again! I'm going to go look at the texture issues you guys mentioned and be back with an update! :)
  • Flipflop_Ninjasaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's a few of the materials I'm using:

87vSCkb.png

8ENpI9t.png

8DY87Qc.png

And I'm actually not using this one, it was just a test for a possible replacement metal, but I think it may be too much.

t1S4uTy.png
  • Flipflop_Ninjasaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another progress shot, fixed lighting a bit, tweaked some materials, added a bit of depth of field. Also went and beveled some of the hard edges that were mentioned. Taught myself how to make cubemaps, and added a cubemap of the room for an ambient light.

Is it still too dark?

Nj3qtp9.jpg

Edit:

Got some feedback, kicked up the roughness on the metals a bit more, adjusted more lights.

bk6vYj5.jpg
  • Flipflop_Ninjasaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling this final(ish haha). Time to move on to other things.

xyptsHQ.jpg
  • Doguib7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doguib7 polycounter lvl 6
    Amazing Work!
    Can you teach me how to upload the images that big?

I am trying but i wont upload my image!

Thanks!
  • Flipflop_Ninjasaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, sure. :). First, go to imgur.com and make an account there. Upload your images, and once you upload it'll take you to a screen like this:

You want to copy the direct link url it gives you after you click the image in your library.

KzJmCJb.jpg

Afterwards, come back here, hit this button, paste the url, hit ok, and voila! All done.

gDQ9Hyp.jpg