Home Technical Talk

Texturing for Unity Engine - Any viewer suggestion

Rhythem02
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Rhythem02 polycounter lvl 5
Hello there folks.

I'm currently texturing a character that will be used for Unity.
Can you guys suggest or know any program that I could use to view the texture like Unity does.

Currently I'm using Marmoset 2, but its different from how Unity works. So I can't use that. The result is just different.

If there aren't any programs like that. Just suggest a good tutorial about Unity 5. Just a crash course about how to get around unity quickly and learning materials

Thanks!

Replies

• Teclis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teclis polycounter lvl 15
    Well why don't you just use Unity itself? It's free.
    Maybe the guys you work for are using custom shaders/lighting as well so you might ask for them to produce the best outcome for them.
  • Veezen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    @Tectis:
    Sometimes it's better when you have fast preview for textures you actually making, rather than importing them (or save over existence ones) to preview them in Unity, it takes longer time.

@Rhythem02
    Take a look on this:
    https://github.com/dariomanesku/cmftStudio

It works similar to Marmoset Toolbag 2 and it's free.

There is also Xoliul Shader 2.0 which works only for 3DS Max 2012, you should check this out.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Veezen wrote: »
    @Tectis:
    Sometimes it's better when you have fast preview for textures you actually making, rather than importing them (or save over existence ones) to preview them in Unity, it takes longer time.

@Rhythem02
    Take a look on this:
    https://github.com/dariomanesku/cmftStudio

It works similar to Marmoset Toolbag 2 and it's free.

There is also Xoliul Shader 2.0 which works only for 3DS Max 2012, you should check this out.

The problem with using an external viewer is that it doesn't replicate the lighting conditions you'll see in-game. If you export your texture to the exact scene it's going to be used in you'll get a much more accurate idea of what you're going to have to fix.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm currently texturing a character that will be used for Unity.
    Can you guys suggest or know any program that I could use to view the texture like Unity does.

Unity.

Your never going to get the same results from a different renderer. Ever.

Perhaps, but you will still have to look at things in Unity at the end to make sure that they look good in the target renderer. As a side note, you can import textures (and PSD's) into unity and they will auto update when you save and show up within seconds, so why is this even an issue?
  • Teclis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teclis polycounter lvl 15
    @Vezeen:
    I don't see why it is slow to work in Unity directly? You can use PSD's or make actions or a script in Photoshop to save. So where does this slow you down?
  • Veezen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Teclis wrote: »
    @Vezeen:
    I don't see why it is slow to work in Unity directly? You can use PSD's or make actions or a script in Photoshop to save. So where does this slow you down?

Well, maybe there isn't a big problem with Unity which is flexible in this part. When I make my textures I use qSave to have ability to save fast my textures and it really helps so in case of Unity we can overwrite textures from Asset folder in Unity project, that's true, but there is bunch of other engines where you need spent some time to re-import assets. I know that Marmoset Toolbag 2 presents our textures better than game engines, but it can help us a little to make it look good saving some time. Just saying.

@Rhythem02 I think the best method is to use 3D modeling software, turn on shadeless mode and began from making diffuse/albedo texture and preview them directly in this software. Specular/gloss map should be tested in game engine.