Home General Discussion

Computer stopped working. Parts recommendations?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
alexk polycounter lvl 12
UPDATE: Problem with computer solved. Don't need to buy parts anymore. Crisis averted!

My computer is in an endless loop of BSOD's. I've tried reinstalling windows and still have the problem so I'm thinking of doing an upgrade and was hoping I could get some suggestions because I'm not the most savvy when it comes to parts.

My budget is $1000 but ideally stick around $800 Canadian dollars.
I would like to upgrade CPU, video card, motherboard and ram.
I would like to to be able to use UE4, Substance Designer, Photoshop and 3DS Max all open smoothly, or close to smooth.
I don't really use my computer to play games as I generally play on PS4 but would be great if it also runs decent for games.
I want to stick with Intel and Nvidia, I went with AMD for both CPU and video card and I hated it and blame it for my BSOD's :)

Is the cpu the most important part for my goals? Would an i5 suffice or should I go for the i7? Is 16 gigs of ram enough? Anything else I should consider?

Replies

• skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    What is the blue screen ? Are you only upgrading because you cannot fix it ?
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    i7 4790k
    Gtx 970
    corsair vengeance 2x8gb ram (can upgrade to 4x8 later if necessary)

Those parts would give you the most bang for your buck, not sure how they fit in your budget.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    What is the blue screen ? Are you only upgrading because you cannot fix it ?

Yup, pretty much. I've re-installed windows and it still does it. I have no idea which part is giving me the error. the BSOD says something about MpFilter.sys

Basically, it boots up into windows, maybe after 5 mins, it'll BSOD, reboot itself, back to windows, couple of mins, BSOD and loop like that

I sort of have a hunch that something might of fried out because it's been really hot in Montreal the past week. I've setup speedfan and most of my readings are in the green (in the 40 degrees celcius range) in idle..and then it'll BSOD.. so yeah.. i dunno :(

@Joost Hey thanks for the suggestions.. hmm.. gtx 970 seems a bit pricey but i'll look into it
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I don't know if you use Reddit, but the /r/BuildAPCForMe is great for this.
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bad ram can do all sorts of wacky things. Take all your sticks out but 1 and see if it still happens. Repeat the process with each stick to find out if any of them are bad.

This has fixed probably 80% of my computer hardware issues.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I do not think its hardware . MpFilter.sys is a Filter System Driver designed as the AntiMalware Engine of MSE which is attached and dependent on the Filter Manager Driver (fltmgr.sys). Other AntiMalware and AntiVirus programs are now also designed to be dependent, attach or protect fltmgr.

If you launch the System Configuration Utility, select "Diagnostic Startup" and reboot you should be able to uninstall MSE. You can then try reinstalling MSE. MSE is Microsoft Security Essentials

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/mse-protect_start/bluescreen-mpfiltersys-driver/1550825c-1c53-4e58-bc96-ec96deef1d51
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    I do not think its hardware . MpFilter.sys is a Filter System Driver designed as the AntiMalware Engine of MSE which is attached and dependent on the Filter Manager Driver (fltmgr.sys). Other AntiMalware and AntiVirus programs are now also designed to be dependent, attach or protect fltmgr.

If you launch the System Configuration Utility, select "Diagnostic Startup" and reboot you should be able to uninstall MSE. You can then try reinstalling MSE. MSE is Microsoft Security Essentials

Hey thanks.. I'll give that a try when I get home. I am indeed using MSE for my antivirus.
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    Joost wrote: »
    Gtx 970

give you the most bang for your buck

I thought that if you want the most bang for your buck it's better to buy an amd gpu.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    pigart wrote: »
    I thought that if you want the most bang for your buck it's better to buy an amd gpu.

True but I wanted to stick with Nvidia

However...

@skyline5gtr Your fix seems to be working! I uninstalled MSE and installed Avast instead and so far, my computer has not BSOD. Hopefully I haven't spoken too soon but thank you very much for that suggestion!! :)
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk wrote: »
    True but I wanted to stick with Nvidia

However...

@skyline5gtr Your fix seems to be working! I uninstalled MSE and installed Avast instead and so far, my computer has not BSOD. Hopefully I haven't spoken too soon but thank you very much for that suggestion!! :)

w00t w00t :poly142:
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beer is warranted!

gif_700x525_53c43e.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart wrote: »

Actually, this is typically only true in the low-mid range. At the high end, the 970 and 980 are actually very good value for performance, better than anything AMD offers.

If you have the budget for a ~$300 video card, you can get the Nvidia 970 for $325 or the AMD 380X for $320. The 970 is about 25% faster for five extra dollars.

When you get into the Titan range, those are generally terrible value, but with the either the 970 or 980, you can't go wrong if you have the budget for this range of GPU.

For around $200, the 960 is a very good value too, as good as anything AMD offers. The 380 is $180 vs 960 at $200, but at 90% of the cost it's also about 90% of the performance too, so same value really. Going to older gen cards, the 760 is both faster and cheaper than the 270x.

So really, the conventional wisdom here is simply wrong.

References:
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_value.html
    http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html

Aside from the whole 3.5GB 970 debacle, the 9XX like is pretty exceptional in that they've managed to hit AMD on both price and performance.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Also throw in that Nvidia gives you the option to use CUDA in applications that support it, and AMD has had driver bugs/issues in 3d software in the past, so some artists tend to avoid them.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    hmm sounds like would either be RAM or HDD tbh if you are going to upgrade something ram and hard drive would be my go to if you have a really beast graphics card already!

if it loops most likely thinking your HDD is the cause would make sense if you just start your pc and t does it because the memory depending on what you are running doesn't have much load.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    This probably has nothing to do with your current dilemma, but when my machine threw a fit a while ago I took it to the shop and they ripped out the old HDD and threw in an SSD. The thing gives incredible performance, startup is about 2 microseconds and it seems to multitask really well as I have to have a lot of apps open at once before it starts complaining, with texturing that is a big plus.

Only downside is the disks are small, or if they are a decent size they are pretty expensive. Mine is only 223GB but I can fit everything I need on it because all my work files are on external drives. I dont have any games on there and it has only the win 8.1 and apps. No moving parts, no defrag.

If you are replacing stuff anyhow maybe this is worth considering.