Home Technical Talk

Zbrush file size limit?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
capone polycounter lvl 18
Been working on a project for a while and now my latest saves get a 'Error has been encountered while trying to load a tool. Loading has been aborted.'

I noticed the file in question went over 2GB as a ZPR file. Is there a limit? Is 2GB insane? I have around 20-30 subtools.

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Don't know if there's a file size limit but I think I should ask the obvious: Are you using the 64 bit version of ZBrush? The most predictable limitation worth large files is probably memory so if you haven't tried the 64 bit version you should.

That said... 2GB seems pretty big, is there a reason why you're saving the whole project instead of just the ztool?
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    If you're saving as a tool, I haven't encountered a tool that saved so large.

If saving as a project, they tend to be wonky since they save all your undos etc. So it tends to be huge and give tons of errors like that.

Most artists I know save as tools, just save in (lots of) iterations since undos are no longer kept in the file.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    I had no issue dealing with a 2gb file, (other than having to wait an entire minute to save/load).
    But toggle your undo history off if you don't need it.

http://docs.pixologic.com/user-guide/3d-modeling/undo-history/ just toggle 'enable saving'
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes I'm using 64bit and yes I mostly save ZPR files. I used to only save ZTL but then was told to save ZPR as 'that's like saving ZPR but it keeps your settings (such as the material you're using etc).'

It's funny, been using Zbrush on/off for over 5 years and am still confused about how to save! So is the idea that when you start a project;

1. Save project and tool.
    2. When you go back to continue work you load project.
    3. From now on you only save the tool
    4. Unless you make a change to the project (All I can think of is changing the material?) in which case you save the project again (and tool).

I guess my previous file is corrupt now or is it just that my (home) PC can't handle it? I may try and see if it works at my studio that has a better PC. If it does I'm going to just save the tool and bring that home.
  • capone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, didn't work on my powerful work PC either. Still get that error :(