Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mossbot WIP

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
shadownet752 polycounter lvl 6
Started this little guy today after a long year away from Polycount (mostly due to working on a game hardcore). Anyways, within the last year or two I've found myself drifting toward the more realistic side of 3D, which, don't get me wrong, is a wonderful and tedious area of 3D i love!

But in that, I've found myself drifting away from hand-painted textures which I've always loved. So this project will be a refreshing little project I hope. Low to mid poly, with lots of handpainted goodness! Wish me luck. Day one work

-Original concept from a buddy over at http://aaronhainart.blogspot.com/
-Drew up a quick front and side perspective for my own sanity
-Got a base model I'll take to zbrush tomorrow for major details and smoothing.

Mossbot_ref_zpszqk5xmrb.png
mossy_01_zpswwiiku70.png

Wish me luck! And as always, critiques and encouraging (or discouraging) words are what this thread is for. :)

Replies

• TheodorUrhed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheodorUrhed polycounter lvl 4
    Cool project, adorable concept, looking forward to seeing more ^^
  • shadownet752
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! :)

Progress, ready for some simple baking and painting! Weeee.zbrush_zpsrnzd7cft.png
  • shadownet752
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blocking in those colors. Still contemplating what to do shader/texture wise for the glass helmet. But otherwise enjoying the painting process.

Moss is looking gloopy atm. I'm going to practice painting that a bit.

bot_wip_zpsstymjddo.png
  • TomGT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT polycounter
    Hey this is great! Loving the concept and the modelling is coming out quite nicely.

How are you going to tackle the grass on him? I think that would be key to really capture the character.

Best of luck!
  • MephistonX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MephistonX polycounter lvl 9
    Love the concept, your progress is looking great, really like the hoses you've started to paint keep at it !
  • shadownet752
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomGT wrote: »
    Hey this is great! Loving the concept and the modelling is coming out quite nicely.

How are you going to tackle the grass on him? I think that would be key to really capture the character.

Best of luck!

Thanks so much. Likely modeled out alphas using one or two clumps of painted out moss. Totally agree, without the moss, the robot would just feel meh. :)

MephistonX wrote: »
    Love the concept, your progress is looking great, really like the hoses you've started to paint keep at it !

Thank you very much!
  • shadownet752
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just about done, I may continue to block out colors, play with alphas and see about having him properly posed. I would love some critiques either way though, still getting back into hand painting, and while this was a great learning experience, I want to continue to get better. :)

Pose is a bit static, and the helmet still isn't rendered as I would prefer, does anyone have any tips or shader know how that might give it a bit more of a illuminated glass feel?

Moss_beauty_01.png
    Moss_beauty_02.png
    moss_textures.png

[SKETCHFAB]f78f37b3ff614d5588d516d2cb4e5b80[/SKETCHFAB]

My first time playing with Sketchfab, and finding it a little difficult with models who use alphas to render. Stll, its getting there.