Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Deforges improvement thread

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Deforges polycounter lvl 11
ayyyy lmao,

I'm getting back into 3D after a long hiatus. I've been in a skillset limbo where I'm only sort of decent at 3D, I haven't really pushed myself to make more challenging objects, that needs to change.

In the past the stuff I've posted I think gets lumped into "well it's ok" category by the community and I don't get much feedback even though I can achieve a world of improvement. I've joined a project to get some stuff to work on and will be posting my progress on those items. I'll also post my thoughts on what I am doing so people can correct not just what I'm doing, but how I am doing things. Big thanks to Alexcatmastersupreme and the community in general.
Heatseeker

Last update:

J0U2lzi.jpg

High poly:
FC54huz.jpg

Thoughts - Overall shapes are very simple. Team seems to want to keep things as close to original model as possible. I think I chose to do this first because it was simple and I could ease myself back into 3D. Next model will be more complex in terms of modeling.

Bake:
HOaO1hy.jpg

thoughts - besides some poor baking on the strap, I think the bake came out well. Should have increased uv space around some more first person components.

Texture:
febe91516a.jpg
PEdpb7z.jpg?1
PHoGmRG.jpg?1

thoughts - still working on this. This is where I struggle the most. I'm also unsure about how to best show off this thing inside marmoset.

For one thing, I feel like it's too dark and the main metal should be more saturated BUT if I increase the brightness of the albedo I lose saturation and vice versa. I need some more larger area details like large scratches but I also don't want this thing to look like it got the shit kicked out of it.

Don't have texture flats at the moment, will post later. I have the main metal of the barrel as an insulator in my metal map because it is painted, scratched areas are white.

Replies

• Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the last render, Not too happy with it but I have to move onto my next project to keep on time.

MWczeUV.png

Sniper Rifle

references:
    L9f6tT8.jpg

Main gun I will have to recreate. This has some interesting shapes and I think it will be a pretty fun to model. I will supplement the gun with some parts of the m14 rifle.

UrI3RuS.jpg

will update as I go.
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rough Block-out :

ZO6RR7D.jpg

also a quick markup of what to add before I begin on the high poly.

f161ddb7e4.jpg

I got a little excited and subdivded some parts to make sure the topo would work out. I want to do some cool compound shapes with the scope and add some more pieces to it.

I also definitely want to add a should strap that's somehow formed around the stock or barrel.
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started on the highpoly, haven't added the strap and some details. Here some screens bae

WVyisjr.jpg
    I61wLpK.jpg
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided a strap would be too busy. Awaiting a paint over from a friend but don't think this will change too much so this will be a more or so final high poly.

J0U2lzi.jpg
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Looks like you are going for a stylized look for your shapes, as well as just using the reference as a rough guideline for your final model. That being said, I think you are on track with these peices. Pretty solid edge weights, etc. Would watch the the front edges of the scope lens opening. Also seems like your magazine is a little narrow, proportion wise. Looks as if it is just the width of a bullet, let alone taking in account of the width of the metal of the mag itself. When I was working on my m14 a while back (was more of a hard surface exercise, didnt really see the light of day), I made a proportionately scaled round for the gun and then stacked them how they would in the actual magazine and then built the magazine body around the bullets. Helped me visualize the shape, scale, and function of the model I was building and definitely resulted in a model that felt "right".
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Add3r, I'll definitely double check the width of the magazine when I get home, it was something that was eyeballed.
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WELP. My boss quit his job which means I got promoted with a lot more work to take care of. For a lazy Sunday I decided to do some quick material practice.

joseph-helline-matpractice.jpg?1427652342