Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Music man Stingray bass

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
I am currently working on this piece for my university application portfolio, to show off some high poly modelling skills.

My progress so far:

EXD4L6u.png

tbyPUgP.png

I am using floaters for these parts, I am not sure if I made them correctly:

RsMGZQw.png

4ClA2ob.png

D1kTL5Z.png

yTjWlh3.png

PBnPorv.png

I tried making some diamond grip, but it didn't work very well :D

z4a1ZPE.png

so I will be remaking that bit.

These are my references:

http://imgur.com/a/eo1Dv#1

I still need to work on the other side, finish the fretboard and add some small details. I need to add all the strings aswell.

I don't know much about guitars, so if I have made some glaringly obvious mistakes, or missed details, please tell me :D

Replies

• Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am going to go with this colour scheme

IMG_0165.jpg
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    I think the best course of action would be to go to a music store and take a look yourself and shoot a few photos.
    I think I'd model out the screws and wouldn't use floaters. It's one model that's used a lot, here and in potential future projects, and you won't have any worries about AO etc.
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was looking at the ernie ball forum for references earlier and people seemed quite eager to show of their bass's. I might ask on there for some specific references, I am sure someone would offer to provide some :D

I only really need additional reference for 1-2 small parts
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    That's the next best thing, and of course you usually won't have the ability to look at objects in real life in a work environment, but I'd still recommend to do that now and compare what you read from the photos with the actual object. There are many parts that seem ever so slightly off, especially in the z-axis. (e.g. tone potis, profile of the pickguard, height of the neck and how high it's inserted into the body.)
    Also pick one exact model and execution of that model in order to work from that, right now you seem to be using mixed references of the stingray and sterling and your main reference right now seems to be the sterling.
    Is all that hugely important? Not necessarily, and few people will be able to tell. But some will.

You might have planned that anyway, but right now most elements are simply stuck into each other. If you want to do closeups I'd actually pay attention to the way the single parts are connected in real life.

edit: Wrote fretboard, meant pickguard. But the fretboard needs some slight convex curvature as well. (Perhaps not done yet.)