Home Technical Talk

Local Axis angled in 3ds Max

ScottHoneycutt
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
NjKR7v2.jpg

How do you solve this issue in 3ds Max? You are modeling an environment prop, and because of the environment placement, it's at an angle. As you you modeling it causes issues because the local axis isn't correct. After you bake the normal you realize there is a seam in the middle because the axis issue causes the symmetry to not be exact. Reset XForm doesn't do it, center pivot doesn't do it. Advice? Thanks

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    create a flat polygon in that angle like bridge 2 edges to create it

create a box with auto align

align your symmetry modfier to that box

ideally you work flat and instance into place. or if you created it, rotate in place and use symmetry while keeping the transformation, reset xform will obviously kill your rotation
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    create a flat polygon in that angle like bridge 2 edges to create it

create a box with auto align

align your symmetry modfier to that box

Thanks but I am admittedly confused by these directions. Create flat polygon in which angle, the good one or the bad one? What is auto align? How do you align a symmetry? Manually moving it?
  • rexus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rexus polycounter lvl 16
    i make usually make and instance and have that one with an adjusted axis/did you try selecting the vertices or edges on the boarder you would like the mirror to weld on when out selected the symmetry modifier ,if you do that then try to rotate the mirror into place in the modifier
  • Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Or you purchase Rappatools and use the active grid tools. It's money well spent for max users.

wHTpush.gif
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the responses. I never did "fix it" but simply welded both sides of the UVs together and removed the middle edge. Again, this was to remove the normal maps seem. I did learn something about avoiding the issue in the first place so thanks.