Home General Discussion

Siggraph 2014 - worth going?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
ysalex interpolator
I just noticed Siggraph 2014 was going to be in Vancouver this year. The timing works for me, and Vancouver is my favorite city in the world, so I am seriously considering going.

Any other polycounters going to be there? And if you've been to previous ones, would you guys say it's worth it to go as a game artist?

Curious for opinions.

http://s2014.siggraph.org/

Replies

• charger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    charger polycounter lvl 18
    Ha, I wanted to ask the same question (you beat me to it). A co-worker (programmer)and myseld are thinking about attending Siggraph. It is a big undertaking though, since we both live in the Netherland.

What I am wondering: Should we buy the select conference pass ($380) or the full conference pass ($1145)?
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    Honestly, if you're down to see some cool new tech from the tools you use, and ones that are possibly going to come out in the near future. As well as meet the people the make them (some of them) and get to know people in film as well. It's a very awesome place to be.

I think GDC is a tad over hyped, and Siggraph really keeps things amazing and inspiring. Not really a place as GDC has become. Which is to show off what your company does and tease people that they can get a job if they do so on and so fourth.

Siggraph is a place to inspire, think and definitely network. In the end, it's worth it. :)
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dunno if I'll be going to Sig but a polycounter's thing would be awesome :)
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    So any Polycounter meet-up happening at Siggraph this year?
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    SIGGRAPH is top of the list of conferences that are worth going to imo (if you're into tech stuff)