Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

volkswagen Beetle(WIP)

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
hello guys

i just started modeling a volkswagen beetle car . still too early to post some progress

but here is the start

ciuw1Ui.jpg?1

any crits welcome :)

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Generally I find it a lot easier to make the car body in one solid shell first, and model in everything before going into sub-d. This prevents issues later on if you need to make slight changes that are impossible with lots of support loops in there. As I model I build in the topology where the doors, panels, hood, ect are going to be torn off. After I sub-d the whole body I start to tear off the different panels.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you right , i will use the modeling tip that you give me ! look better than the method I'm
    doing. thanks you :)
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some progress
    i use the methode that you give me and it's working good :)

zgmLNvV.jpg

doIHn4X.jpg

any crits ?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    try to balance your edges more evenly, you already start to get dents, and tge mesh isn't really complicated yet
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks you , i try to work on that ; but didn't really get all the the dents go

here is update

NiLjJTp.jpg
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a little update :

ZCr8EO6.jpg
    any crits ,?
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I modeled a beetle a few weeks ago. It's modeled for a bake so I'm using some floaters to save time. It's also not intended to be super accurate, just clean and time efficient. Here are some isoline shots you might find helpful:

198d4e3ab78648458157d9481a1c89c5.png

d1e3ac9819a5ccd83ae1b14612ac19f3.png

I generally start cars with the wheel arches then connect them to form the side of the body. Start the arches with the number of segments you plan to use and then slowly build out forms with the least segments you can. Once the volume is roughed in you can start making the cage mesh more dense and defining more specific features.
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    Man, I had to model a Beetle for a hard surface class in 2006 using NURBS-- I do not envy you this challenge :D Keep at it!

The only real advice I can give you on this is, try to find more accurate blueprints, or you'll run into other issues later on. Right now, your blueprints don't match-- the side image is a 1969 Beetle, and the top and front views are '65 or earlier. While the overall look of the car remained the same, a lot of the smaller shapes and lines (decklid, bumpers, taillights, etc) changed fairly dramatically throughout the 60s.
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks you for the crtis

Done ! i'm really happy with it but learned so much :) ..

RXSKboM.jpg

if you have any crits or advices i can use in my next projects ! plz tell me :)

thanks
  • SuperDuty455
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperDuty455 polycounter lvl 6
    It's a good start but it's not really "done", you still have plenty of stuff to improve.
    The rounded parts look "beat up" like someone bashed the body with a bat. The front part of the roof looks flat.
    Be careful with the edges of the body panel, they're not aligned and don't flow very well with each other.
    The windows don't seem to have the right shape, especially the rear ones. Look at Alec's model, they're much more rounded at the back.
    The windshield is the wrong shape, the upper and lower edges have a curve, that's probably why the roof is so flat.

Cars with rounded shapes tend to be hard to model, because of all those curves you don't necessarily see if you don't have enough reference material.

The main problem with you model, is that you made each panel individually. When modelling a car, it's much better to start from one single model, so that when your sure it's right, you can start splitting the different panels and adding details.