Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[TUTORIAL] 15 Tips To Improve As An Artist

Replies

• WDewel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WDewel polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for writing this up!

It can be really difficult for me to stop working sometimes. I'm definitely one of those people that can be manipulated into working extra hours if I'm not careful. I used to have to remind myself about #2 on a daily basis. My first crunch time was horrible; 12-14 hour days, 7 days a week, over the course of a few months. It took a hefty toll on my relationships and I ended up 15 lbs heavier than I started. After that experience, it's a lot easier to stand up for my rights as a human being and prioritize my life around my LIFE. Sadly, it took me another few months to "remember" that it's OKAY to have fun and relax every once in a while. It can be a real challenge to re-train your brain when you've been in hardcore student mode or crunch time for so long.

I can also vouch for the importance of unplugging every once in a while. Sometimes the best thing you can do for your art is to take a walk or drive around town. I always have my eureka moments when I'm miles away from my desktop. Similarly, airplane mode nights can work wonders with friends and/or your significant other. Take a break from our overly connected world and give your full attention to the people in your physical vicinity for a few hours. No deathbed regrets!
  • davidmlally
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    davidmlally polycounter lvl 9
    I was reading this forum posts just yesterday (geared more towards concept artists, painters, etc.) but it's interesting to compare the overlapping threads: http://t.co/WEQ1M8fFFU
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    good read and reminder. thanks for sharing.
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HomeGrownHeroz polycounter lvl 6
    Great thread :D Many thanks for taking the time to do this. Very inspiring.
  • Chicken Dip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chicken Dip polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks man for the post. It really inspired me to start doing 3D again. I just recently got a job (not doing 3D unfortunately) and I have almost completely neglected 3D art for some time now and because i come home tired from work I don't want to do anything. But this thread really helped me get back into the mood and desire to do art again. I think this is a thread many of us should read once in a while. Very good to get the spirits up. Thanks
  • quero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks.
    Really encouraging and so true.. Some points are obvious, some points always get ignored.. Great reminder.

Wishing you and all polycount-fellows the best at going on^^

(Had a really depressing day at work, it was hot and sweaty and I couldn't get my work done properly.. was honestly in doubt of myself, but this one let me rise again)
  • Jonnyboy0121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for this Grimmstrom.. can say that every one of those points pops up at some time or another for me. Important to keep trying to to do better and improve!
  • sagiarts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sagiarts polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks a lot sir Extremely helpful
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Great piece of reading really :D
  • botchiball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    botchiball polycounter lvl 8
    Excellent read.. I need to start doing a lot of those again. Thanks for the reminder.
  • RaPtoR_v9600
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RaPtoR_v9600 polycounter lvl 4
    awesome will it read frequently just to remind me of some basic stuff
  • kimchee519
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very well said, thanks for the read !
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Awesome read, inspired me to get back to work! I have to work on my quitting habit.
  • Desperad0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should print this out and tape it to my desk.
  • masterxeon1001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    masterxeon1001 polycounter lvl 7
    excellent words of a true master.
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Regarding the point about finishing stuff, I was wondering, I'll working towards getting back into 3D after a long break, but should I try finish some of my old projects or create a new one and finish that? Is it better with a fresh start or to finish up loss ends?
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    @McGreed - hmmm its quite a difficult one too answer. It would be unrealistic of me to say go finish all your old projects. Everyone evolves over time so if it were me, I'd ask myself a few yes or no questions to help me decide.

- Am I still interested in the work or has my style / genre preferences changed?
    - Will it still make a good piece of final artwork or was it a bad decision in the first place?
    - Has my art skills improved so much that I would have to essentially restart to meet my new expectations?

Hope that helps.