Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character: May (GuiltyGear)

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
SladeDigital polycounter lvl 4
'Select your character!'

Finnaly with my computer back on and full of motivation from being inspired by artists such as FunkyBunnies, Hazardous and YBourykina and many other
i decided to do my own rendition of May's from Guilty Gear

Trying to follow the guidelines from the people who atended Haz character course and put my best efforts on the line to creat a character with as much quality as possible.
This is gonna kinda be a self test to my skills, since i'm a fairly new user with zbrush. been messing with it for a few weeks or so , anyways lets get started

'Finding some neat Resources!'

it was time tofind references. this was a hard task, for some reason May doesn't seem to have that much fan art that ilustrates the details or anything at all, but i ended up finding some decent pictures that will allow me to create a good sketch and define my guidelines troughout the process. here's a small montage of some of the references i will be using.
n0szCcE.jpg

Also Kudos for jurithedreamer at deviantart For that last draw i used on this image.

Replies

• jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    'Select your character!'

Finnaly with my computer back on and full of motivation from being inspired by artists such as FunkyBunnies, Hazardous and YBourykina and many other
    i decided to do my own rendition of May's from Guilty Gear

Trying to follow the guidelines from the people who atended Haz character course and put my best efforts on the line to creat a character with as much quality as possible.
    This is gonna kinda be a self test to my skills, since i'm a fairly new user with zbrush. been messing with it for a few weeks or so , anyways lets get started

'Finding some neat Resources!'

it was time tofind references. this was a hard task, for some reason May doesn't seem to have that much fan art that ilustrates the details or anything at all, but i ended up finding some decent pictures that will allow me to create a good sketch and define my guidelines troughout the process. here's a small montage of some of the references i will be using.
    n0szCcE.jpg

Also Kudos for jurithedreamer at deviantart For that last draw i used on this image.
    EERRRMYGAWD!! i'm sooooo excited to see how this turns out ^.~ also are you going to model her dolphin as well? i will follow this like a hawk D<
  • SladeDigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Creating a Mesh

after doodling for a while , i ended up achieving a body, even though i still have stuff to fix when it comes to anatomy and geometry problems, but that's pretty much it.
    I haven't showed the face. cuz that's gotta be the worst part on this model , i've been trying to practice more and more at faces but it seems i'm still not able to make it look pretty or decent.

trying to follow some of the speedsculpts of Zbro and Funkybunnies in order to achieve results as good as those but it's been kinda of hard thing.

lhoPFYb.png

jksl - Thank you for the support, hopefully i will make justice to the character.
  • I Like Feet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YISS! May is one of my favorites!

I will say your starting model is a little tall for May's height, unless this will be a bit of a redesign. But, regardless, I can't wait to see more progress.
  • SladeDigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any other suggestions will be happily received.
    Yeah i've exaggerated a bit on the height of May's model, i will take that information in consideration and use it for the rest of the tweaks i still have to do :)
  • SladeDigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculpting Time

sw49XMs.jpg

After blowing about 5 or 6 hours, and watching speedsculpts, i ended up with a face that i fairly like so i went with it, even though i liked it a bit doesn't mean i wont end up tweaking something here and there.

Following I Like Feet Criticism about the height and looking at some of the reference pictures i had,it shrinked her size a bit specially on the legs area.

After some tweaks i got carryed away and started doing the hat followed by some hair and so on

I'm not pleased with the hat, theres something about it, that i'm not liking but i will keep working on it until i'm happy enough with the results

74RIpdw.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The reference face is much younger, and has the overly large eyes typical to most anime females. The reference lips are also much thinner.
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    Sculpting Time

sw49XMs.jpg

After blowing about 5 or 6 hours, and watching speedsculpts, i ended up with a face that i fairly like so i went with it, even though i liked it a bit doesn't mean i wont end up tweaking something here and there.

Following I Like Feet Criticism about the height and looking at some of the reference pictures i had,it shrinked her size a bit specially on the legs area.

After some tweaks i got carryed away and started doing the hat followed by some hair and so on

I'm not pleased with the hat, theres something about it, that i'm not liking but i will keep working on it until i'm happy enough with the results

74RIpdw.jpg
    all i have to say is keep in mind May is 5'2 she seems a bit tall here, as for one more thing this face you sculpted of her seems very mature considering She is still a young child other then that Good work ^^
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Very cool, seems like it follows FunkyBunny's character tutorial, I wanna see how this turns out...
    Also you have some issues on the arm, look at the highlights on the tricep area: theyre pinching. And the elbow pit, the transition to from the bicep to the forearm flexors/brachii needs some tiny work. Keep it up!
  • SladeDigital
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tweaking

After reading your criticism, i started staring at the previous face i'd, and realized everyone was right, i was simply to blind to see it on my own.
    After playing arrounnd with the face ,i think i made her look away younger then she previously looked like.

here's a preview of the new face, eyelashes in the making

6r6tZMO.gif

Also her height was also tweaked, i will show a preview of it, on my next update
    Keep the criticism and comments comming !

Thank you all
  • I Like Feet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the new eyes looks kinda derpy. almost like they are going off in two different directions.