Home Technical Talk

Rigging Help.

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
For 3dsmax, by the way.

I'd like for this thread to become a how to rig for anyone interested in rigging that currently doesn't know how to or wants to learn. Since I never seen anyone post such a thread I thought this was a good idea.

I have a very basic general idea of how to rig and I've rigged with bones and biped on and off throughout the years but never really put all my attention into learning It and or the best way to go about rigging a particular character, object item.

Bare in mind that I can't afford any material about rigging or otherwise so directing me to purchase content will not work or help me at the moment.(Hope this doesn't affect the learn ability though, granted it will hinder some I am sure.)

On to my questions,
I rigged this design with bones and biped because I want to both learn how to do things properly and find out which would be best for certain situations.

rigsu.jpg

Run down, Biped/skin:
Made a human biped adjusted to create what you see here, used the pony tail as his lower jaw, added bones for the feathers on his head and wings. What you see on the side of the head is my attempt at trying to make the eyelid and eyeball rig.

To extend this, for instance his arms/wings I want them to bend a certain way but his range of movement is hindered in the biped to that of a human I referenced birds wings and I can't mimic the bend every-time I try his arms get funky, I am trying to tuck his wings in as when a regular bird lands, same for the bones situation.

Bones/skin:
IKHiSolver for his limbs.

On either I do not know if this was the best,smartest, or right way to do things for this character design or in practice/general.
I always have similar questions like these regarding other elements of designing for games and have never posted my concerns before cause a lot of them felt pretty dumb to ask in the first place.

Anyway help me understand this mumbo jumbo please.
I'm getting the feeling It is pretty easy but I make things out to be harder then they are.

Any helpful links are also welcome to save on the readers/helpful participants time.

Thanks.

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I can't offer much help but I've used puppet shop recently and it was very easy and intuitive to use, I believe that is what CAT is based off of.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Just an update:
    catrig.jpg
    Found a great set of videos to help me and I was pretty damn please at how easy this was, 3rd time's the charm eh?

Just wanted to bump this so you did help by mentioning CAT maybe someone has any input to offer now that I got the rig, I have the animators survival kit but is that all I need or are there other methods I should look around for, Maybe some tuts?