Home Contests & Challenges Archives

ESCAPE - Carnival - Broach Brothers

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
Hey folks! Pairing up with my brother Nate Broach for this project. Our theme is two animals escaping from the carnival. Pretty simple! Hopefully we can make it look nice :). Nate's gonna mainly focus on Environments and I'm going to work on concepts and characters. Wish us luck :).

To start here's a rough concept of what we're going for. I'm going to go back and make a polished version of the concept hopefully over the weekend. Would love feedback!

carnival.jpg

Replies

• duncan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duncan polycounter lvl 11
    really cool idea. reminds me of this.

madagascar_3_tutu_bear_king_julien.jpg

which is always good coz King Julian is ACE!
  • Johan3043
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice fellas! Looking forward to see the progress of this one! :) Good luck!
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome idea! I see a lot of promise in the concept, though at first it felt like they were headed towards the carnival. Perhaps because the largest mass(bear) is pointed towards it?
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

Agreed Jason, that's been my concern as well....I want to keep him on that side because I like the idea of seeing the back of his vest. I think it might read better if he's tilting his head looking backward...

If that doesn't read still I'll probably have to switch the two characters. Thanks for the feedback.
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    It read well for me because I know how those types of rail cars work, and it's pretty obvious the monkey is in the motion of pushing down, which automatically told me they were escaping.... plus.... the point of the contest (ie escape) kind of gave me the context clue as well. I love the composition as it is. Good luck!
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome to see you guys team up, looking forward to it :)
  • mtthwcmpbll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love this too! I see what folks are saying about reading which direction they're going, but I love the shape of the bear where he's (she's?) at so I'd look for other cues to add instead of switching the characters. Maybe make the little hill a bit bigger so you can show more of a descent? Anyways, I'll be looking forward to seeing more of this!
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on finding a better solution for making the characters actually look like they are escaping. Here's two rough ideas. I'm digging the top version more and I'm probably going that direction. Let me know what you guys think!

Thanks for all the feedback so far!
    carnival2.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, the top one feels better. Composition-wise I think they should be moved a bit to the left, so that the bear lines up with the grid of thirds. Then he'll also cover up some of the empty space between them and the circus.