Home Technical Talk

64 pixel density per meter

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
Hello Everyone, I am trying to figure out how to get my UVs to be 64pixels per meter on a 512x512 texture. This is for an art test and I could really use some help. :) Thanks!

Replies

• ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Make a 512x512checker map with 64x64 squares and then just test it out in 3dsmax if the squares fit the size of 3dsmax grid(set the grid to meters).
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Use textools! http://www.renderhjs.net/textools/

In the texel density part, you can type in your values. If 1 unit = 1 centimeter in your scene, type 64 / 100 and right click the get / set button.
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome guys! Thanks for the help.
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fonfa: I currently have my scene units set to meters. How should I type that into the textools? Your example referred to centimeters. Thanks!

Ivansu: Are you referring to the grid in the UV editor? How do you set this grid to meters?

Currently my scene is using meters. Is this the correct way to go and one more question. Can I model my entire scene and uv it, then go back and set the pixel density. Will this alter my uvs in any way? Thanks!
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    fonfa: I currently have my scene units set to meters. How should I type that into the textools? Your example referred to centimeters. Thanks!

Ivansu: Are you referring to the grid in the UV editor? How do you set this grid to meters?

Currently my scene is using meters. Is this the correct way to go and one more question. Can I model my entire scene and uv it, then go back and set the pixel density. Will this alter my uvs in any way? Thanks!

Texel density depends on the scale of Uv islands inside the texture map so if island is bigger it will have more texel density thus being more detailed.Basically you can make a 1x1x1m cube and snap it to viewport grid and then apply the checker map I told you before,if the single 64x64 square matches the grid size on the cube's face then it has 64 texel density.Using textools you can get more reliable results but I never used it so cant help about that.

Example:You take a rock that has this dimensions 64x64x64 and you scale it up by 2x of the original size,now if you place them next to each other you will get noticeable difference in TD between 2 rocks the only way to fix this would be to tile the texture map by 2 times to get the same TD(on big rock).

Textools: http://www.renderhjs.net/textools/
    Applies texel density to your selected objects. And it will scale shell by shell proportional from it's current place so that it fits the ratio.
    At the moment only object's themselves are supported UVunwrap sub selections like particular UV shells are not yet supported.
    texTools_ani_texel_apply.gif
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Basically it wasn't as complicated as you think, 64px/m on a 512px texture means across the length and height of your texture you got 8meter (cus 512/64=8, and since the requirement said 64px=1m, so 8x64px=512px --> 8x1m=8m --> 512px=8m).

If that's make it more confusing you can just do a reference pix density list;
    1m - 64px
    2m - 128px
    4m - 256px
    8m - 512px

If that's still confusing I give you pic haha :)

XNY8q.jpg

The pic is on correct size 512x512 (but im not sure is there any compression while I upload it) so you can always check it like this;

Create a plane size 8mx8m in Max then apply the texture to it, always have it in your scene while do modeling. Then just replace the texture guide above with your correct diffuse and compare the resolution between the plane and your object, if it's around the same resolution, then you're on the right track, if the diffuse applied to your model more low res then the texture on the plane then it means your diffuse is low res then the requirement, if it more high res then, well, your diffuse is more higher then the requirement resolution.

WWk6c.jpg
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome guys. Thanks for being so helpful on this. So if I'm getting this right it really comes down to scale of the model in comparison to height of a player per say. I can model my scene and as long as each island of uv share the same compression then I am on the right track.

My biggest concern is I have 2 512 textures that I can use. I don't want to go crazy and model a ton of objects in the scene and then when it comes to uving I have to scale the islands way low on the uv space to make room for my uvs thus lowering my resolution.

Once I get my uvs all the appropriate size then I scale the actual model in the scene until it has my pixel density requirements?

Sorry is this was a mouthful.
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Hmm..I'm not sure I really get with your conclusion though. But you can't simply scale your model to match the 8x8m plane, cus you almost always have to model from the correct measurements since the first stage, even when you start planning your model you need to keep that in mind.

For example a real door height will be around 2m so in your 512 texture page the door height is equivalent to 128px (since 64px=1m, 128px=2m).
  • aaronmwolford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah ha! Okay that makes sense! Okay so basically by getting the door correct from the beginning and uving that, everything else will be in relation to the doors size.

Thanks a lot for the help Revel!
  • Revel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revel interpolator
    Yeaps, normally for a building, door will be a good starting point for scale reference. If you have a correct size human scale mesh as a reference will be a good things to put in scene too, cus human is more familiar in size n variant wont be that huge gaps, but door can be 3m - 4m tall or even more for an older ornamental building/ large gate/ office entrance to say few examples.

Glad it help and good luck for your art test!
  • bk3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bk3d polycounter lvl 5
    if you use planar mapping the math is pretty easy. you just take the texture size and divide it by the pixel ratio and that will equal the size of the mapping gizmo.

512 texture
    64 pix/m

512/64 = 8

so you would just make sure your mapping gizmo is 8
  • Rossa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a simular question I also have an art test, and they gave me these instructions:
    The ground must be a height field of 20x30m with a 0.5m grid spacing (=40x60 polygon grid). Texture it using 64pixels per meter (=1280x1920pixels).
    I wounder how to get the right result with the 64 pixels = 1280x1920 texture, do you guys know what they mean? Thanks :)
  • buggy221
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all!
    I have a similar concern.
    I'm doing a test for a company and one of the technical/creative bounds is,"1 meter=512 k texture".
    I'm assuming the "k" is a typo,but if that makes any sense to anyone please clarify.
    Anyhow,I'm working in meters in maya. So in real world scale 2 meters in a the size of a door,so then by the rule of "1 meter=512 k texture" ,the door should be 1024x512...but,that doesn't seem right.That's a HUGE texture for just a door...
    Can anyone enlighten me and give me some insight?

Thanks!