Home Technical Talk

Help with modular workflow

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
Hi PC,

I have a question concerning modular environment workflow. I have been working on this scene and I have attached 2 images where the first shows the complete scene and the second one shows what repeated geometry I have removed and planned to use as modular pieces (to also maximize texture density on the UVs) to replicate after the texturing phase is completed (I marked few of the repeating geo in red such as bolts, floor, roof, sidewalls etc...).

As I am in the process of planning out the textures to use, I was wondering how to approach that while maintaining the modular workflow? A quick AO bake of the scene using xNormal gives me the results I want but then duplicating the floor for example, it will show the shadows of objects such as the pylon on all the repeated sections of the floor. I also tried creating the floor by duplicating that sections and attaching it, then moving out the overlapping UVs of the 0-1 grid and baking out the AO but all the floor sections still contain shadows that are part of that original section of the floor.

I have been searching the net for a solution and I did come across some excellent tutorials on modular workflows, but I am not sure how to apply that to my particular scene.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

modular_before.JPG

modular_after_marked.JPG

Replies

• Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Lighting for a modular workflow is usually handled in-engine. It might be baked or it could be realtime. Per-object AO these days is often left to SSAO, but Unreal and similar engines still bake it in. Each modular piece will be able to have different lighting applied, so don't bake AOs into your diffuse unless it's something that would appear on every version of your texture.

Often an engine with baked lighting will work something like this: modular pieces have their normal UV unwraps, but may also have an additional UV channel for a light map unwrap. You can use the first unwrap so long as every part of the modular piece is unwrapped to a unique region of the 0..1 UV space, and fits entirely in that box. That's the part you create as an artist, and that's mostly all you need to set up. Behind the scenes, the engine creates a big light map texture and each instance of your meshes gets assigned a small chunk of that space.

How you actually achieve this depends on what engine workflow you're trying to get into. I'd pick one and then try to make assets for it. Unreal or CryEngine are good choices. Here's the UDK reference on light mapping: http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LightMapUnwrapping.html CryEngine doesn't use baked lighting - it's all dynamic - so its asset creation is different. http://freesdk.crydev.net/display/SDKDOC4/Lighting+Concepts
  • tekmatic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tekmatic polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for the reply Mike. I am planning to bring the scene into UDK. I will post shortly on my progress and how successful the light maps will be.

Great links BTW.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I was going to make a huge post about adding in some more splits to the modular pieces, and once it's all put together, bake Vertex AO, but then I realized that wouldn't work either, unless you had each modular piece be separately imported and used specifically for that one spot. Which would not be very modular. So nevermind.

SSAO will do some of that. You could also use decals or something, for the AO-Style shadows, but I'm not sure how well that would work.