Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Depths - A Starcraft Inspired Environment

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Ignacio_G polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys,

Recently completed this environment. I had roughly 30 days while in college.
This is my first real go at a stylized environment except for a small project earlier in the year.
Thought I'd share my results:

Video:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex6Wb8Xo8y4"][HD] Depths - Starcraft Inspired - UDK Environment - YouTube[/ame]

And shots:

iguajard_BeautyShot3_1280.jpg
iguajard_Fantastic_prop4_1280.jpg
iguajard_BeautyShot6_1280.jpg
iguajard_Fantastic_prop3_1280.jpg
iguajard_Fantastic_prop2_1280.jpg

Let me know what you think! Happy to hear crits and suggestions.

Replies

• Arthur Ramazanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arthur Ramazanov polycounter lvl 12
    Nice, the egg glowing things is a nice touch :)
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    The buildings are not reading as Terran, Zerg, and Protoss to me. The colors are right, but the shapes aren't doing it. The bunker doesn't look like a bunker, it just looks like a generic building, There's enough solid reference images to recreate it accurately. All of the buildings lack the chunky large sized shapes in Starcraft, you want large basic shapes that read well and give an interesting silhouette.

hVlY8.png

Just look at the differences between the shapes in yours and in the actual game of starcraft.
    The protoss building is too thin in places as well. And the zerg thing is too blobby and lacks defined shapes.
  • Ignacio_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the crit ZacD! I agree with the comments made that it should have received a better silhouette treatment. I think focusing on more accurately researching one specific race would have been the way to go.

As for the Zerg structures, I intentionally tried to explore new territory to bring something new to the table and tried to push this whole slimy pulsating feel to it as well as being an excuse to try out new tech with tessellation.
  • Ignacio_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The material isn't overly complex but here's how the vertex paint material works in order to get the pulsation and the streams coming down:

iguajardmeshsm.gif