polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Can you blame him? He has led one of the most amazing studios for the last 10 years. Has a baby on the way and is able to be financially secure and spend time with his family. I would do it in a second as well.

Congrats to Mike Capps and good luck in all your future endeavors!
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Calm down, Jesse! Just posting the news.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    He seems pretty calm to me.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    Calm down, Jesse! Just posting the news.

Yeah what the hell are you talking about?
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    "I would do it in a second as well." Yup
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope it's a family driven decision and not a "this studio is hosed, I'm outta here before everyone outside the studio figures it out".

If its the first thats awesome, I would do that in a heart beat if I could. That also means it was done because Epic is a stand up studio that understands taking care of its people is important to them not being distracted and enables them to focus and succeed. Remove the money obstacle and people focus like a laser beam on their work. Granted he was high up on the food chain but everything I've read about the guy is that he's pretty awesome and not the type to screw over the people under him. I hope they replace him with someone who is quality.

If its the second, then they are burning though a lot more cash than I thought they could and the engine licensing business is being effected by the slow down in the industry more than I thought. Entertainment is slow to rebound after big economic down turns but when it bounces back you know things are going good. If they are in trouble I hope they can hang on until things really turn around.

I can imagine a few scenarios that put them in a difficult position but I can imagine even more that put them in a stable position. Still, there has been a lot of turn over at the top and its a little troubling.
  • ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScribbleHead polycounter lvl 13
    I wonder if it has something todo with tencent acquiring shares in the company (although still having a minority in shares)...

Its certainly understandable if his decision to "retire" is because of a wish to spend mroe time with his family - but how many times has it turned out that there was in fact a much more profound reason behind a studio (head) departure.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    cliffy b also moved on recently, didn't he? hardly a coincidence.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Epic can't be doing that bad financially, didn't they just open up a new studio and also open up a bunch of positions at another?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWild polycounter lvl 8
    Wesley wrote: »
    Epic can't be doing that bad financially, didn't they just open up a new studio and also open up a bunch of positions at another?

There's more than financial reasons to quit. Boredom, family, I'd argue if you're in a design position it's good to do something else occasionally. I know some people who have quit jobs because they see what others can do and after years and years of work feel consistently inadequate.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley wrote: »
    Just playing devils advocate, but where you see prosperity, others might see depleted reserves, or loans that could be difficult to pay back.

Expansion is a gamble and a big part of why publishers took it in the shorts a few years ago (that and they borrowed too much based on their stock price which tanked), they went on a studio buying spree. They bought empty shells while the talent moved on to start up a new studio that the publishers would then buy a year or two later. Wash rinse repeat until you can retire comfortably.

Seeing Epic behaving similarly to the publishers, is a little worrying. Hopefully they are making wise purchases and retaining talent whenever possible. It seems like that is the case from the outside but then seeing some of the top brass leave makes me wonder...

Time will tell, they seem to have a magical money printing machine so even if things are as rough as they could get they'll probably pull through fine. But you do have to wonder if people are leaving before bad news comes to light and the fingers come out and start pointing.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    epic new... first cliff b. now him. There's something fishy here, there must be!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really just think it is a case where the guys that have left have been there for a long time and want to do something different. A lot of people do that. Even if it is amazing, doing it every day for 10-12 years starts to wear on ya.

You want to try new adventures, take risks, enjoy your family.

If I won the lottery tomorrow I wouldn't want to work a ton. I would want to spend that time with my family, watch my kids grow up, do special things with them, do some personal projects and just have fun again and not worry about the "job".

Also my secret is "I'm always angry"
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    The sky is not falling.
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    the moose has spoken.
    you must have spooked him with your irrational and uncalled for rage, Jesse.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love how we turned a thread about a successful man like Mike Capps into a Jesse Moody has crazy rage thread....

I love you guys.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    JamesWild wrote: »
    There's more than financial reasons to quit. Boredom, family, I'd argue if you're in a design position it's good to do something else occasionally. I know some people who have quit jobs because they see what others can do and after years and years of work feel consistently inadequate.

Oh yeah that's what I'm saying, just in reply to those saying about finance. But Mark makes a good point.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Love how we turned a thread about a successful man like Mike Capps into a Jesse Moody has crazy rage thread....

I love you guys.

whoa whoa whoa... calm down there buddy! It's all gonna be alright.
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    You want to try new adventures, take risks, enjoy your family.
    Jesse spluttered, consumed by the wrath that had taken hold of him, making his arms spasm around the room, throwing chairs and claiming sovereignty over Treyarch's corridors.

Proper respect to Mike Capps, and congratulations on the family :thumbup:
    And I'm as always, pretty sure this is just another sign of the end of days.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Given that Epic is opening a studio in Seattle, I doubt they're going anywhere.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    all this hostility in here :'(
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm not trying to make it sound like Epic is hosed and going down in flames, I don't see any solid signs that point to that at all. It's just not entirely out of the realm of possibility, but that can be said for just about any company.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    http://epicgames.com/community/2012/12/mike-capps-retiring-to-the-epic-board/

It’s hard to believe I’m writing these words, but here goes! After 10 crazy and wonderful years, I’m handing off my current presidential duties at Epic, and transitioning into an advisory role as well as remaining on the Epic board of directors.

If you haven’t heard, I have a baby boy on the way. I’m fortunate that with Epic’s success and generosity, I can be a stay at home dad for a while. My wife Julianne and I are very happy in Raleigh, and other than cleaning up baby barf, I don’t have much planned. I might do some teaching, spend more time on creative writing, and maybe get more active with a few charities.

After dedicating a decade of my life to Epic, and with so many close friends here, it’s impossible to just walk away. I absolutely love this company. If you cut me, I think I probably bleed nanoblack and Imulsion. (Wow, just think about what mixing those would do…) Epic founder and CEO Tim Sweeney and other board members asked me to stay on the board, and I’m thrilled to do so as I’m truly excited about our future games and Unreal Engine 4.

As I mentioned above, I’ll continue to be available as a resource to Epic, to provide context or advice where I can. Whatever I can do to help in Epic’s success, I’m in! I’ve got great confidence in our executive team – VP of Development Paul Meegan is new to our Raleigh HQ, but we’ve worked with him for years, and I can only contemplate this retirement knowing that he and VP of Operations John Farnsworth can manage development better than I ever did.

Our partners and customers can reach me anytime on my Epic email address, and I’ll still be posting the occasional foodie and gamer musings on @epicactual. As a member of the board, I’ll help keep the ship pointed directly towards Na Pali, and make sure that everything we do is Epic.

Seems legit to me... being there for your family seems about the right time to step down. Plus.. being involved in other areas where he can explore some more creative freedoms might be good for him. All in all.. congrats to his family, and best of luck with anything he sets to do.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    adam wrote: »
    Given that Epic is opening a studio in Seattle, I doubt they're going anywhere.

What? Seriously? Any info / links on this?
  • Oniram
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They're also eventually funding a small European studio too as part of Make Something Unreal.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    when companies get big the vibe changes - probably the best time to retire, when you still have the warm and fuzzies about your company.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    JamesWild wrote: »
    They're also eventually funding a small European studio too as part of Make Something Unreal.

Where did you hear that? The MSUC content was awesome, but I can't think of any of the MSUCers who'd make particularly logical choices as a second European studio.
  • JamesWild
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee wrote: »
    Where did you hear that? The MSUC content was awesome, but I can't think of any of the MSUCers who'd make particularly logical choices as a second European studio.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/42132/Epic-launches-Make-Something-Unreal-Live-2013

It's a separate contest open only to students in Europe. I would've joined if I had any long term plans of working in the industry and were insane enough to consider competing on top of university work.

I don't know if they're funding a "studio" as such, but they ARE providing tools such as UE4, and some procedural texture tool.

I know most of the members of team Polymorph, who just got through to the final 4! ^^
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    That's a license giveaway - Epic do that quite a lot, you just don't always hear about it.