Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Lowpoly low-sci fi

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
St4lis polycounter lvl 7
So I decided to make a thread for this instead of just spamming WAYWO.

It's basically an idea for a game I'm buildning stuff for.

One of the main aesthetical ideas is the contrast between characters and environment:
I want the characters to have simple shapes, and be bright and colorful.
I want the environment to have very tile based shapes and be dark and desaturated.

The environment is supposed to be some kind of space home, perhaps situated on an asteroid. It should look cozy and homely, but also convey a feeling of scarcity.

The platform in mind (though I have no illusions of actually making a finished game) is iPad, or similar, thus the low specs.

Here is the progress so far. Upper pictures are earlier and lower pictures are later.

polycount_spaceScene_01.jpg
polycount_spaceScene_02.jpg
polycount_spaceScene_03.jpg
polycount_spaceScene_04.jpg

Replies

• St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    First update - Kitchen area!

polycount_spaceScene_05.jpg
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    cool stuff, gotta love those gas burners :)
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Love the look and feel of this! Really cool stuff :)
  • ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    lovely stuff , more :)
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    The sims scifi? :) looking good, cool style
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks everyone for the comments, its very encouraging.

@ S_ource. Yes, thats kinda true. I want to make a believable space home, where people actually live and go about their daily routines. I will add more sci-fi ish stuff later, such as large generators, cargo bays, perhaps an outdoor section with solar panels an such.

Today I made a kitchen table with some chairs. I'll show of the flat texture as well.

Note that all my diffuse textures are really grayscale, so that I can use the other 2 channels for stuff like emissive and masking color overlays. This way I can have cool effects and variety without needing additional textures, and more importantly - multiple texture reads.

polycount_spaceScene_table.jpg
    polycount_spaceScene_table_texture.jpg

and i might as well post the close up of the space man seen in all the scenes:

polycount_spaceGameGuy_01.jpg

Please note also that all images shown so far are poorly composed and colored. My goal is to have several rooms, all which only have 1 or 2 colors each in the environment. But for now I just cram everything I've got in to one room to help me keep the feel and textures consistent
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Pretty cool but some proportions bug me.

I realize you're trying to make everything fit the grid, but things like the sofas being way to deep kind of kill it for me. You can still do them like 1/2 or 3/4 width, just have the backs align to the grid.
    Then you have the kitchen set right next to it which really appears to be right on scale...

The sink, the tex could fit like 3/4 of that and you'd have room for the spout/handles.
    (and it has drawers rigt under it which break the illusion of depth.

Speaking of drawers they too are HUGE!. You could have 6 in place of the two and it would fit much better imo.

The range top even seems way too large compared to the character, but the texture is brilliant. The textures all the way around are really nice.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    looking good but yes, what baddcog said. First thing that sticks out are the wacky proportions.
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    I was hoping the proportions wouldnt matter that much, but now i do think i have to have a look at it. As baddcog said, my main concern was keeping, and enforcing, the tiles.

Well, i took a break from environemtns and rigged my guy and has started to block out some gun ideas.

polycount_spaceGuy_rig%26gun.jpg

polycount_spaceGuy_gunBlockouts.jpg
  • Daft.Eng
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have to say, I really like this, love the proportions too, but hey, that's just me, gives me a bit of a pokemon feeling. Where stuff is off proportion wise, but it just looks plain great, partly because of that.
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks man, i apriciate it. Quick update: made a space girl for my space guy. The face is new but the body is the same as the guy but with a diffrent hue.

polycount_spaceGirl.jpg
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    I think you should try to make the face look more like a female face. Its looks litle more like a girl in the sculpt. Maybe its just me that think so?
  • MrRik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrRik polycounter lvl 7
    Thats one mad girl over there..
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Sure is MrRik. I want my characters to look cocky, confident an slightly angry. And I want them to have lots of character.

S_ource. Maybe, maybe not. I realy dont want her to look like the standard polycount-barbie, but that does not mean you dont have a legitimate point. I'll have to look at her in a week or so to get a fresh perspective.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    lovely work man. though i agree that she looks more like a guy than a girl... i would suggest thinner eyebrows for starters, and maybe a thinner nose...
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    it's good that you're doing it your own way, but more feminine features would not hurt.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I really like this! My only comment would be that the whites on the characters can look overblown.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Paintover helpful?, I tried to keep the same style and feminize without princess-ifying....and after I upload I realize the piece beneath/behind the ear, on the back of the neck needs to have a little hair flowing from it into the ponytail.
    EuVzR.png
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I've been working a bit on the girl, and will hopefully have a new update on her tomorrow. In the meantime, a drawing and a gun test:

polycount_spaceGame_fleaSmg.jpg

polycount_spaceGame_chConcept.jpg

I'm not sure about the texture work on the gun, it might be too 40k-ish, but I like it's silhouette and attitude.

I'm thinking about maybe doing a bunch of head sketches to define the characters I want to make. I want to have some with more spacy features such as phrostethic eyes and stuff, but so far I've just been making normal people.
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11