Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Snafubar - First crack at hand painting

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Snafubar7 polycounter lvl 8
First off, I've been hesitating posting here being relatively new (1 year) to environment art, but I figured I should get over that.

The shots I'll be posting here are my first attempts at 100% hand painting textures. It's for a class where the instructor modeled us an entire scene and we should have it done by midterm hopefully. Most of this stuff isn't finished, but eventually I want it to be a bit more on the spooky side. Feedback/advice appreciated!
week6.jpg
week4.jpg
base+house.jpg

Replies

• Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    finhouse.jpg
    And here's the house. I'll call it done for now :P feedback welcome
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    of the textures I think the bricks are the strongest. You're lacking the edge work on most of the wood - you've got it on the roofing but didn't carry that over to the other textures. also - the wood isn't really bracking in a...woody...kind o way. Or maybe just too much...i can't quite decide.
    And i know you're calling it done - but I'd like to say that I think you're asking your textures to do a little bit too much work on their own. Doing lots of tiling bits you could really stand to add a few more polys and model to the txture a bit more - pull some planks out a bit - make a little strip of edging and get some more depth into the geo - as it stands it all looks a little like stickers. Texel density's a wee-bit wonky as well.

Still - not a bad go for yer first try. aint painting fun?
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, very fun :) Thanks for the feedback, I agree the wood is pretty noisy. This class is all about texture painting and it's about to pick up the pace, wish I could add geo and refine a bit more but oh well. With my learning curve and the fast pace of the course it would be better to just take your advice and apply it to future projects, thanks!
  • Synyster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synyster polycounter lvl 8
    I was wondering if someone else also made a thread for this class. I believe you sit next to me? xD
    but I'm really digging that wood texture on the base house you made, but the chimney is really distracting me. It looks really stretched, and making the overall material look sort of like cloth. I think you should go in and work the Uvs to unstretch it. If that doesn't really work out I think you can separate the house into 2 512x512 rather than just one. that way you can give yourself more to work with.
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha yeah I saw a bunch of people around the room posting their scenes on polycount so I thought I'd run into some of you here. My UVs are set the best they can with how I have my layers set up in photoshop. I should paint more chimney or make it tile vertically to get rid of the stretching. I have a hard time spending the space I have, trying too hard to be optimal and it's hindering a bit. Thanks for the feedback, cya thursday!
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    hey nice job, cool to see other AAU people post here. How do you like it so far? I used to go but quit because I wasnt satisfied :P

anyway, a bit more depth and color variation would do you well. its very static at the moment. Also I'd tighten up your painted AO, its really spread out.
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm in my third year at AAU and I haven't had much beef other than the cost being silly, and that we must pay a lab fee for each course held in a computer lab. I'd rather opt out of that fee and be denied entrance to the non-classroom labs than pay for something I never use. It's what -- $400 per course? this semester alone I'm paying $1200 in lab fees. I could get a pretty nice rig instead...

Also, my first year I stayed in a big loft dorm with 5 other guys, each of us paying at least 3300 per semester. That breaks down to the place costing around 5000 a month total, or $830 ish per person. Kind of lame... an apartment downtown was cheaper in my second year.

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just following through, here's what I've turned in for the midterm deadline. Not sure if we were supposed to do that tacky background image but I did it anyway. I could have fit the blades of grass on a much smaller map. Thoughts on anything?
    texturelighting_etpicarello.png
    textures_huge.png
    Shot2_et.png
    Shot3_et.png
  • Synyster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like how yours came out! Its really unique compared to everyone elses. How did you get the background? :o I still have to get a rendered screen cap of mine :o
  • Snafubar7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I just made a really big cylinder and cut it in half so it sort of wraps around, then slapped some painting on it that I did a bit ago. The renders don't really look all that better, it's just darker and smoother haha.
  • Synyster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahhh okay haha yeah I think mine looks a lot better when it's not rendered haha but I'll make some adjustments tonight. Man that tree is looking really good though. I still really like the leaves you made for it, really good color variation.