Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] UDK Church

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jamiemurphy polycounter lvl 8
Hello, currently working on portfolio work, it's my first time using UDK, so far i'm quite happy with the results but I’d still like to take it a lot further. I've learnt quite a lot since the first time of opening UDK last week but as far as using shaders and lights to their full potential, i feel like I’m miles off.

I put a link to my website around a week ago on here asking for C&C and the main comments was that i needed to use a real-time environment.

I’ve done a lot of YouTube and forum browsing for tutorials on lighting, i tried to get the windows to be transparent and reflect the colours onto the floor nut i haven’t had that much success as far as lighting goes, i did try to get the windows to be transparent and reflect the colours onto the floor.

I’ve made most of the props, but some of them are from the assets on the asset browser.

Next environment i make i'll box it out first, i didn't it it this time around and i feel it would be quicker to do so.

Any suggestions as to what to do with the lighting, what to add next and just general pointers?

Thank you
82711301.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/138/44204920.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/259/85877817.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/571/85730164.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/43/82711301.jpg/

*I’ve not really used any specific reference photos

Replies

• jamiemurphy
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    before really worrying about the lighting i would fix the seams on the brick texture.
  • jamiemurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I’m really not concerned about that problem, the main reason it’s happening is because of the way i made the walls, now I’ve followed the process once, i know where i went wrong so I’ll learn from that. Thanks though, I’ll definitely make sure they are not noticeable when making the final renders and walkthrough
  • EbbAndFlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the light from the side of the walls at the top of the church is kind of drawing your eyes away from the statue, maybe there could be moon light coming out of the stained glass window onto the statue, something like this maybe:
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    the blown out contrast between the wooden wall structures and the brick is kind of distracting, id tone that down a bit. also its just hard to see any surface details on the wood, im not even sure if it is wood.
  • jamiemurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebbandflow: yeah when i started that's the look i was going for, looks instantly better the way you've suggested, i'll try and setup the lights so it gives that effect

macattackk: going to rework the texture for the beams now, thanks for pointing that out

going to add like a small graveyard outside and a old fence around the church and maybe a old cobbley road, i've already made big improvements to the outside terrian as it was pretty poor before
  • jamiemurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making some progress with things but after reading lots and lots of tutorials, I’ve had no breakthrough in getting textures to blend, what i want to do is get rid of some of the obvious repeating texture problems I’m having. I’ve got some extra geometry in my mesh, attached a screenshot, the red is getting painted but the texture A isn't showing, any suggestions? I've been trying to get it to work using different types of materials, meshes for several hours and still nothing, thank you

• TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    Take your diffuse texture in photoshop, and go to filter - offset, then move it around until you see the giant seam running down the middle of the picture. Fix that and and make it seamless, then offset it again. If you cant find any more seams from offsetting when your done, you will have one tileable texture :)

Also it would be really cool if you could add some more detail into your stone textures as well, I'm thing moss/lichen?
  • TheRealFroman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheRealFroman polycounter lvl 11
    same thing applies to the ground as well! Get rid of the seams dude! :O