Home Technical Talk

MEL Materials/Textures

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
Hey everyone, this is my first time posting in the tech talk section. I've been messing around with MEL Script for some time now and one of my buddies suggested showing some of my code to a larger audience to receive better feedback.

I don't necessarily want to learn MEL thoroughly, but it's nice to know enough to be able to enhance my pipeline and get rid of those pesky annoyances that slow things down. That being said, sorry if my code is messy or inefficient. I'm looking for feedback on the general idea of the script, ways to condense/improve code, and whether or not something like this already exists.

I have recently become sick of how Maya handles materials. Max's is so much better, with just a Maps dropdown with all the values and settings right there.

I didn't bother looking up whether a plugin or something already exists for this problem. I'm sure there is, but it's fun to learn how to make my own stuff.

Below is a script I made for automatically applying, naming, and opening the file browser for my selection. I made one of these for each outColor channel I use most, like spec, incandescence, diffuse, and transparency.

$object = `ls -sl`;
proc string findShape( string $object )
{
if ( `objectType $object` == "mesh" )
return $object;
string $shapes[] = `listRelatives -children -shapes -path $object`;
if (`size $shapes`)
return $shapes[0];
else
{
warning "Multiple shape nodes detected!";
return "";
}
}

////Define Assigned Material
$matSelect = stringArrayRemoveDuplicates(ls("-mat",listConnections(listConnections("-type","shadingEngine",`ls -sl -o -dag -s`))));

////Create file node & rename
createRenderNodeCB -as2DTexture "" file "";
$matNormal = `rename ( $matSelect[0] + "_Normal" )`;
$matPlaced = `listConnections -t place2dTexture $matNormal`;
select $matPlaced;
rename ( $matSelect[0] + "_NRM_2D" );

////Create Bump Node & rename
createRenderNodeCB -asUtility "" bump2d "";
$matTangent = `rename ( $matSelect[0] + "_Tangent")`;
setAttr ( $matTangent + ".bumpInterp" ) 1;

////Attach File Node to bump2d node
defaultNavigation -connectToExisting -source $matNormal -destination $matTangent;

////Attach to bump node to bump channel
defaultNavigation -connectToExisting -source $matTangent -destination ( $matSelect[0] + ".normalCamera" );

////select node & assign file
select $matNormal;
AEfileTextureBrowser "AEassignTextureCB ( $matNormal + \".fileTextureName\" )" image;
select $object;
commitAENotes($gAECurrentTab);showEditorExact $matSelect[0];

////NOTE You may receive an error related to the AEfileTextureBrowser. This is simply the search window for when you choose your normal map file. I still cannot for the life of me find the code that loads the AEfileTextureBrowser module. It seems to load into Maya after a file has been loaded for the first time (per session). If anyone knows the script for how to load the AEfileTextureBrowser, I would greatly appreciate it.

Despite the error, if you inspect your material attributes you should see your Bump channel has been assigned with some appropriately-labeled nodes.

DOUBLE CLICK MENU (reverses the above--deletes all child nodes attached to the .normalCamera channel

$object = `ls -sl`;
proc string findShape( string $object )
{
if ( `objectType $object` == "mesh" )
return $object;
string $shapes[] = `listRelatives -children -shapes -path $object`;
if (`size $shapes`)
return $shapes[0];
else
{
warning "Multiple shape nodes detected!";
return "";
}
}

//double-click to remove map

$matSelect = stringArrayRemoveDuplicates(ls("-mat",listConnections(listConnections("-type","shadingEngine",`ls -sl -o -dag -s`))));
$matBump = `defaultNavigation -defaultTraversal -destination ( $matSelect[0] + ".normalCamera" )`;
string $deleteChan[] = `defaultNavigation -defaultTraversal -destination ( $matSelect[0] + ".normalCamera" )`;
string $delete2d[] = `listConnections -t place2dTexture $matBump`;
string $deleteBump[] = `listConnections -t bump2d $matSelect`;
select $delete2d[0];
doDelete;
select $deleteChan[0];
doDelete;
select $deleteBump[0];
doDelete;

select $object;
commitAENotes($gAECurrentTab);showEditorExact $matSelect[0];

Thanks!

Replies

• bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Would love to test this out, but I'm not so sure how to install this, would you mind explaining how to?

(tried copying and pasting the top script, and got errors)
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I got an error also. I edited my original post to remove the bad piece. You should now be able to just copy and paste it into an empty shelf button. Note that it only works while an object is selected.
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I'm having error on this still...

// Error: AEfileTextureBrowser "AEassignTextureCB ( $matNormal + \".fileTextureName\" )" image;
    //
    // Error: Wrong number of arguments on call to AEfileTextureBrowser. //
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    That error doesn't affect the outcome of the script. It's basically just the window that pops up to search for your normal map file. Once this search window is activated for the first time, that error disappears and the window opens automatically as intended.

I still cannot for the life of me find the code that loads the AEfileTextureBrowser module. If anyone knows the code for how to load the AEfileTextureBrowser, I would greatly appreciate it.

If you inspect your material attributes you should see your Bump channel has been assigned with some appropriately-labeled nodes.
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    EDIT: Seems that it isnt loaded hmmm. The mel file is in the maya environment path. Odd. What I would do is use fileDialog and restrict it to texture formats. I just tried auto sourcing AEfileTextureBrowser through my userSetup.mel and that didnt work or atleast I dont think it did.

Tried sourcing it in the script and still nothing. Maybe its how the arguments are constructed though I still think creating your own file dialog and customizing it would be the best way. Future proofs when random mel scripts decide to disappear from the AETemplate folders :P