Home Technical Talk

Zbrush artifacts

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
I haven't used ZBrush in a few months, but have recently made a few upgrades to my pc (new ips screen, new 660ti gpu, more ram), and have found I'm now getting screen tearing and artifacts when rotating models in the viewport/canvas. The screen tears diagonally from top right to bottom left too, as opposed to vertically or horizontally, which by itself seems strange.

Aside from dismantling my pc one part at a time to see if any of them are the culprit, does anyone have an idea what I could do on the software side to determine a cause?

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Setup a custom profile for your graphic card, for ZB maybe? That's the quickest solution I can think of.

Also, if you record a video of the issue, does it show up in the video? Could be a screen issue.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks like the issue goes away while fraps is merely open, not even recording, but comes back immediately after it's closed...
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Is AA set to application controlled ? I know that AA settings can interfere with other 3d applications.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea everything is set to application controlled that can be. I created a custom profile for ZBrush and tried out a few settings but nothing seemed to have any effect.
  • Inhert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Inhert polycounter lvl 9
    Isn't Zbrush suppose to be cpu dependant rather than gpu dependant? I am also curious as to what cryrid is talking about when he says "AA settings can interfere with other 3d applications". What and where does AA settings reside in? Nvidia control settings maybe? I've been getting screen tears too on my screen when sculpting in Mudbox though at certain angles.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    It is, but I imagine the GPU is still responsible for getting the image to your screen. As for AA settings, I know at least XSI always had an issue if the graphics card's AA settings were trying to override it. And yeah, it's the ones found in the Nvidia/Catalyst control panel.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    PolyHertz - Did you by any chance resolved this issue with screen tearing in zbrush? I have now same problem with diagonal tear and general artifacts while moving my model. Its present in Zbrush4R4... I am not sure but I did't recall it to be present in R2 :/.

I tried couple setting and it seems that number of thread in multidraw above 2 produces screen errors. If that helps I have i5 CPU and GTX660. I hope that someone found any fix to this.

ps. Ok for some dumb reason turning off AERO in windows solves the problem.
    Thanks for pointing out connection to Fraps Areo Monitor :)