Home Technical Talk

Can't sculpt in MuDBox with small brush size or camera zoomed in close...??

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
I have been struggling with Mudbox 2012 for the past 30 minutes.I am sculpting the eyes of my character and I decrease the brush size to like 1.62,the damn brush won't sculpt. and won't work when the camera is up close.
I even tried reducing the near clip plane to 0.001(my model becomes transperent).Its still not working.
Tried increasing the scale in Mudbox,no effect.I am beginning to get tired of all these sculpting apps and maybe go back to good old traditional modeling.Arggh.!!

Replies

• Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Switch to zbrush, its gonna happen eventually anyways.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Yep, Mudbox is know for these issues to happen with certain scale sizes and etc...

The best I suggest is starting a new scene, and loading up your mesh in it, should alleviate the problem.

If not, start a fresh scene, and try sculpting on one of the 'basic' models, see if it still behaves the same and adjust your setting from there on.

If all else fails, the only solution left is switching app. ZB and 3DC are both valid solutions, while Sculptris is the next best 'free' thing.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    melviso wrote: »
    I even tried reducing the near clip plane to 0.001(my model becomes transperent).Its still not working.

set it to something above ~3, should work then.
  • retleks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    What program are you exporting from? I know with some apps the import will be super small (modo) and you need to export with a considerable scale factor applied.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried everything u guys suggested,the problem is still there.

I used the default human body in Mudbox and started sculpting from there.I did not import from another 3d app.
    *crawls slowly towards ZBrush*

Wanted to ask:Can one import the normal map of a model into ZBrush,load in into the normal map pallette and the low res model shows the the normal map like in Mudbox,then u subdivide it and polypaint?I tried importing a normal map into a low res model in the normal pallette in the tools pallette,not seeing anything?
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tried everything u guys suggested,the problem is still there.

I used the default human body in Mudbox and started sculpting from there.I did not import from another 3d app.
    *crawls slowly towards ZBrush*

Wanted to ask:Can one import the normal map of a model into ZBrush,load in into the normal map pallette and the low res model shows the the normal map like in Mudbox,then u subdivide it and polypaint?I tried importing a normal map into a low res model in the normal pallette in the tools pallette,not seeing anything?

It absolutely can.

Though the one thing about zbrush is that resolution = polypaint detail so you would go to a high sub d then paint or use zapplink and paint direction in photoshop which then applies it to your zbrush mesh. Zbrush can do so much that mudbox cannot.

A lot of users like to do the polypainting with normal map layers in 3d Coat, which also allows you to paint normal maps in real time.

Using both is never a bad idea.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Dataday wrote: »
    It absolutely can.
    Are you sure ?
    Even by looking on the official forum and on google I can't find a way to simply load the normal map of my mesh and display it inside zbrush.

Is it really possible ?
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Its not possible from what I understand ( at least from when I last used it ). I don't know what he's on about other than telling us all to use zbrush.

Was a big reason why I started to texture in mudbox.
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    The only tweak that I have found for this is to convert the normal map to a displacement map and then project it to the low-poly mesh. I must admit this way is not very great.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok wrote: »
    Are you sure ?
    Even by looking on the official forum and on google I can't find a way to simply load the normal map of my mesh and display it inside zbrush.

Is it really possible ?
    gavku wrote: »
    Its not possible from what I understand ( at least from when I last used it ). I don't know what he's on about other than telling us all to use zbrush.

Was a big reason why I started to texture in mudbox.

Yes its possible to load to load a normal map into zbrush and see it on the low poly of the mesh (never said it was easy). I remember being shown this back in an older version by one of pixologic's own developers, theres also a video of it on youtube somewhere. I believe a plug-in was used (its been awhile).

Also for painting, you would want to use zapp link and connect it with photoshop to paint.

Its not easy thats for sure. Sometimes pixologic is too stuck on the idea of being different that the over look the importance of efficiency.

Its also why i recommend 3d coat, which is insanely easy. After doing all the sculpting in zbrush, and taking advantage of 3d coats amazing retopologizing and UVing tools (not a must), you go to the painting tab then like in photoshop, just add a layer from normal map and you have a normal on a low poly as well as painting capabilities. You could technically do everything within 3d coat with voxel sculpting, but its not a really a good zbrush replacement when it come to detailed sculpting.
  • retleks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    retleks polycounter lvl 18
    It doesn't hurt to have multiple tools in your arsenal. Mudbox is pretty great for painting textures on higher resolution objects. I personally have to subdivide low poly objects to paint, because there is a bug when trying to paint low poly assets (it can't paint fine detail, it misses polygons some times). Zbrush can hit polycounts easily where Mudbox starts to struggle (relative). 3d Coat has great topology tools, and can be great to rough in a sculpt.

I don't recommend one over the other, "over specialize, and you breed in weakness." Better to develop a mind centered on problem solving, so you know which tool to pull out for the situation at hand.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mudbox doesn't get to some faces,that's true and can't paint very tiny details like in Photoshop even when painting in high resolution.Maybe I am just gonna go back to good old photoshop.Zbrush can't import normal maps and display it on the low poly model.I did all the research on the web,no info saying this can be done.I couldn't find any plugin about normal maps.
    There is another way though,I still have my high poly model in zbrush so maybe subdivide the model further more and polypaint the diffuse and bake it out in xnormal and then use the map as a base in photoshop.

I pretty sure 3dcoat has its own flaws as well.All these apps are made to have one or 2 important feature left out so they can have a reason to release a new version every year.So frustrated right now...
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mudbox doesn't get to some faces,that's true and can't paint very tiny details like in Photoshop even when painting in high resolution.Maybe I am just gonna go back to good old photoshop.Zbrush can't import normal maps and display it on the low poly model.I did all the research on the web,no info saying this can be done.I couldn't find any plugin about normal maps.
    There is another way though,I still have my high poly model in zbrush so maybe subdivide the model further more and polypaint the diffuse and bake it out in xnormal and then use the map as a base in photoshop.

I pretty sure 3dcoat has its own flaws as well.All these apps are made to have one or 2 important feature left out so they can have a reason to release a new version every year.So frustrated right now...

Thats why you have to learn to work with multiple programs. It is just the sad reality of it. Again, zbrush can link to photoshop to give you the details you want. You can send over an image of your high poly to photoshop, paint on it and send it right back in which it applies the paint to the mesh.

If polypainting with normals present is your primary concern, use 3d coat. Its layering system is exactly like photoshops. 3D coat excels in painting, UVing and Retopologizing...everything else is really just a perk.
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Dataday,hakuna Matta (no worries)I got a workround to painting it in Mudbox,its painting better now.Will use zbrush for modeling stuff and Mudbox for painting.

Has anyone tried converting an aomap to normal map for say an organic model?Is it possible?