Home Technical Talk

Infuriating Cintiq driver issue!

grand marshal polycounter
Online / Send Message
pior grand marshal polycounter
Hello there you all,

I should logically post this on the Wacom user forums but the support there is pretty much a joke so I thought I'd post here instead!

I have been having a very annoying issue with the Cintiq drivers lately on my 21UX Cintiq. (grey, "first gen" = intuos3 tech, win7 x64, CS5). It's been like that for a few months (not sure exactly when it started) but I am quite positive that things where not always that way.

Basically, once in a while and just for the duration of one or maybe two strokes, the tablet registers full pressure. It doesn't sound like much of a problem because it goes back to normal for the next stroke (no need to restart drivers or services) ; but in practice, in the flow of things it is simply infuriating. I mostly do very loose sketches using a line art brush relying on pressure-based flow and size, meaning that when I do gentle light strokes more often than not I get a huge black thick line that I have to undo and draw again. Imagine drawing subtle facial features but all of a sudden everything is covered by a black "ink spill". Super annoying.

It looks like this :

pressure.png

Now the interesting part is that I know for sure it is not a hardware problem. I keep a winXP pro 64 partition just in case, and I just checked : the problem never ever happens there (and man, working on an image without this issue is a real pleasure !!)

I think that there might be a specific older driver revision that could solve the problem, as I remember tracking one down in the past and I *think* it solved the issue. I just cannot find it anymore. And somehow I suspect that it might be a windows7 feature causing the issue anyways. (I have all the tabletPC features disabled, and I am running Aero).

Thank you so much if you can help!

P

Replies

• Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I think it's those annoying "Tablet PC" features that got introduced with Win Vista. If there's one thing in Windows I hate with a passion, it's that crap..
    Did you disable it all? The stupid ripples, swipes, etc..? Spectre created a nice little app for it that helps you with this.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Yeah I would think that would be the source, as the only difference between my two setups is the OS. Everything else is the same (PS version, Wacom drivers, and so on).

I am pretty sure that I disabled all TabletPC-related components... I also just gave Specter's app a try but the problem remains. I suppose something else is "stealing" the pen refresh time.

Also just noticed a post about the same issue on the Wacom forums - dates back to January and of course no official word from Wacom hehe.
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Xoliul

Could you share a link to that app? or it's name so that I can search for it. I lose lots of time and neurons tinkering with tablet pc crap every time I plug my wacom to another computer.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    That would be it :
    http://dev.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78303

And to illustrate the point further, here is what I get if I do not undo for a little while and try to ignore the issue :
    2012-02-12_03-26-56.png

Driving me nuts!!
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Which driver are you using?
    As far as i remember that can happen if you have one of the newer versions.
    I had that problem to with my intuos3 where it sometimes put full pressure eventhough i just merely touched the surface.

Oh and that app is the old version. I made a reall app which has more features like automatic disabling of services if certain programs are running(you can choose which programs)

The link is pointing to an older version of the thread.
    This is the right link.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=78303
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    Ya it's a bug with the drivers I had the same issue with my intuos3.

Go through and just keep rolling back to older drivers until you find a fix. That's what I did, works fine now.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Thanks for all the help - I will investigate further first thing tomorrow. Very frustrating stuff!

As for drivers, I've been rolling back to a few older releases over the past months but eventually ended up installing the most recent ones since nothing seemed to work, that is to say 6.2.0w5. DeadlyF, would you mind posting the driver number that solved the issue for you ? I will start by installing that one and dig from there!

Specter, thanks for the link - Ill grab that too, even if it's not directly related to the issue in the OP. Seems like a handy little tool to always carry around :)

BTW, for those who managed to fix this issue on their machines : are you running XP or 7 ?
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    I have this process blocker thing running, as well as all the turning off of tablet services etc.

See the link:
    http://locksnlatches.blogspot.com/2009/08/remove-visual-rings-circles-from-pen.html

Now I don't get any funny business. Worth a try?
  • DeadlyFreeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze polycounter lvl 17
    My drivers are 6.1.4 from 2010 and this was all on a XP system.

I should also point out that I only had the issue in CS5/4, it never bugged out in CS3 for some reason.
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    I´m running Windows7 64Bit and the issues have gone with older drivers.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    DeadlyFreeze, thank you so much! I think I tried rolling back to 6.1.5 recently and stopped there ; guess what, 6.1.4 totally did the trick! What a relief ... Its so good to not have to think about that anymore ...

(now if only Adobe realized that they should merge ctrl-c and ctrl-shift-c into a unified command, everything would be smooth!)