Home Technical Talk

Plugging normals in the render tree (Softimage XSI)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Greetings PCers;

I am having a slight issue, that is related to XSI's Render tree. The Node that usually deals with normal map is XSI Normal Map 3. Where you can import and plug the normals as a bump map (Or something). I've searched for a legit tutorial related to this matter but the only tutorial that I know, that exactly creates the entire render tree with all maps is in Digital Tutors (which I can not afford at this moment.)

If anyone knows a tutorial of plugging normal maps and previewing the mesh in render view, or know the steps of it. Please post.

Thanks.

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    You just use the bump_generator node. I personally do all my modeling in xsi, but when I bake and do anything with normal maps, I switch to 3ds max, just because those features suck in Softimage.

5958868453_dbaaf50cd9_b.jpg
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You could go down the real time shader route as well.
    Just give the model some Tangent and Binormal properties, then drag and drop a shader onto it or add one through one of the real time material nodes.
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    cryrid can you explain in detail or point us to a tutorial on how to set up real time view?

I have to render every shot in order to see my normals.

I use XsI 6.01 if that helps.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Here's an older video for applying a shader. I kind of butchered it back then so it might make it look harder than it is. If you have a .fx or .cgfx you should be able to drag and drop it onto the mesh as well to make the process even quicker.

You'll have to give the model tangents first (get > property> Tangent). I don't think v6 had the option for Binormals. If it does, apply them as well.

I had some pretty basic shaders uploaded at http://www.moddb.com/members/cryrid/downloads/real-time-shaders
    Some of them require the texture coordinate to be flipped, which was also covered in that video. Other shaders shouldn't require that step. I prefer the cgfx one as the rest of XSI is OGL by default so you'll still be able to see wireframes/etc.

Some of Xoliul's earlier shaders worked as well.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    I use xnormal for baking the maps and all.

See, I am saving up to buy softimage for my work, and really loved this and ICE because they will serve in both 3d modeling for games and for mini clips.

The problem is, I can not switch between softimage and 3ds max or Maya (Though both of these are highly recommended by anyone.) I am just trying my level best to stick with this one software. =\ I know there is a way to have good amount of detail on the low poly model while working in softimage. I just gotta figure it out.

And thank you for the pointer Sr. Zac Donald. I'll try to follow it. Also Thanks to Sir. Cryrid for the tutorial.

I'll see if I can work this out according to this discussion.

Thanks. I'll post if anything.

Funny tho, XSI's Normal Map 3 node suppose to work. =\