Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Can someone review my portfolio again?[Target_Renegade]

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
Hi guys and ladies,

Can I get some feedback on my portfolio? Its actually been a while since I've updated anything/created. I'm going to get rid of the whole blue/neon look, because it looks shit in my opinion. In terms of progress, work wise, I was thinking going for a techincal position, would a simple object done really well, with loads of scripted animations/effects and such do okay?

ANY criticism will be awesome!

thanks

http://www.dominicgutridge.com

Replies

• kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Hi guys and ladies,

Can I get some feedback on my portfolio? Its actually been a while since I've updated anything/created. I'm going to get rid of the whole blue/neon look, because it looks shit in my opinion. In terms of progress, work wise, I was thinking going for a techincal position, would a simple object done really well, with loads of scripted animations/effects and such do okay?

ANY criticism will be awesome!

thanks

http://www.dominicgutridge.com

What do you mean by a technical position? Technical Artist? If so, where are your work samples to reach this ambition? You mention "a simple object done really well, with loads of scripted animations/effects". That's kind of vague? What do you mean by those words? Have you read up on what the specific role you intend to strive for actually does and needs to know? With this info you would probably have a better idea of what your portfolio could contain.

Good luck.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    Was being a bit vague. If you can show me a piece of technical art that does not require a very large amount of environment work, yet demonstrates a good understanding of what a technical artist's position is, that would be most helpful.

As a technical artist yourself what do you do most days of the week? Coding? Art? Admin? Is the position about bridging the gap between the different areas?
  • cdevens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cdevens polycounter lvl 7
    This is what is posted on Epic's website for the same position:

Qualifications

• Extensive experience working the Unreal Engine
    • Experience in all aspects of creating game content inside 3ds Max
    • Experience with various software packages including Photoshop, Zbrush/Mudbox
    • Max Scripting and HLSL or shader programming experience is a plus
    • Experience communicating on a technical level with programmers, while working patiently with artists on technical hurdles they encounter

Expected Tasks
    • Material Creation
      • Making materials for characters, environment assets, effects etc, anything that is overly complex or technical
    • Environment Polish
      • Reviewing levels where fog, lighting, colorgrading and fx are tweaked and new features are added
    • Optimization
      • Use diagnostic tools to examine current content and identify areas for improvement
    • Tool Development
      • Work with programmers on developing new features
      • Mock up features in external programs or tweak shader code, give feedback to programmers, and experiment with features as they add them
      • Not only will you be working to improve the current art pipeline of the Unreal Engine, but you will also be involved in the development of that pipeline, for future versions of the Unreal Engine
    • Content creation
      • Sometimes the best way to get the job done is to create new assets -- modeling and texturing experience are preferred, but all content creation skills will come in handy
    Do you have industry experience as an artist? This is typically not an entry level position.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Target_Renegade>
    I do not work as a techincal artist. And what cdevens posted seems highly relevant.

Job roles in general seem to vary to some amount depending on what company. I think a high simplified way of putting a Techincal Artist would be the person in-between what a programer and an artist would do. Tools, shaders, rigging, scripting, vfx, general ninja of all software, high knowledge of game engines, R&D, etc.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You could afford to trim some fat on your portfolio.

You could lose the "other" category. If you aren't going for a character artist position, you don't really need to show your character sculpts. The gun is ok, but you need to finish it and put it in props.

For your environments....the round hallway has to go at least. The alien looking one (on the far right) is the next weakest in my opinion. You don't really seem to have a good color balance here...and the ground is really low res...looks like you sculpted the whole ground on a flat unique texture? No bueno. I think the high poly props image looks pretty solid though.

The Egyptian one could use some love, but its better than the other previously mentioned ones. First think that sticks out to me is the harsh noise bump on various parts...such as the ground and the beams on the ceilings. Tone that down...a whole bunch. Texture sheets look nice. The diffuse maps look pretty solid. I think the cracks on the tiling floor might be a little too harsh, compared to cracks on other textures though.

The one with the car, did you make the car? I think the architecture is interesting, but I'm getting mixed signals from your materials. You have a spotless shiny floor, but the windows on the ceiling look very old and neglected.

I think the polycount contest one (from unearthly maybe?) is your strongest Environment.

Same with the props. The door and metal box are your strongest, you could lose most of the rest and be ok.

If you are interested in being a technical artist...you would probably need to have some script samples handy.