Home Technical Talk

Bake fur to a texture? (Maya)

I've been looking around for a way to convert Maya fur to a texture and can't find anything. Most of the fur I'll be using is short and lays flat, I'll use planes for some longer areas.

Right now my only solution is to use the mopKnit script to make a flattened version of a model and render it flat. But then the seams suck and I lose out on rounded areas. I can't seem to instance the fur description between two meshes, only to bake each attribute out as a texture and re-link them back in. A minor pain, but a pain nonetheless.

Anyone have any tips or solutions here?

Replies

• Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    "fur"

maybe dis is what you're looking for
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not quite, but it's better than photosourcing, I'll definitely keep it in mind.

Did some tests with the flat idea, and it really doesn't work at all.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    you can convert fur to mesh. But that might not be the best case... unless you have a good quadro card '_'
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo wrote: »
    you can convert fur to mesh. But that might not be the best case... unless you have a good quadro card '_'

I could always do it in smaller batches. Can't find a way to do it, even the curves they use for previewing don't seem to be accessible in the scene. I might look at Blender this week.
  • Warheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Warheart polycounter lvl 17
    What about just rendering the model with fur from multiple angles and then projecting the textures in zbrush/mudbox?
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, I like that. I had thought about rendering that way, but hadn't thought about projecting it afterwards. I'd probably stick to Maya for it, then I could Render/Project/Move Camera/Repeat.

I don't have Zbrush or Mudbox, and I'm on a pretty low spec computer right now (mine fried), not sure if they'd even run on this.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    hey throttlekitty - i swear that the nextgenhardsurface forums had a tutorial for an effective fur method

here it is: Pre-Rendered Fur Tiles for Texturing

oops, actually he just posted it on the pc threads aswell : Tutorial: Pre-Rendered Fur Tiles for Texturing
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    hey throttlekitty - i swear that the nextgenhardsurface forums had a tutorial for an effective fur method

here it is: Pre-Rendered Fur Tiles for Texturing

oops, actually he just posted it on the pc threads aswell : Tutorial: Pre-Rendered Fur Tiles for Texturing

Read 2nd post ;)
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I'm guessing setting up a Fur solution in Maya is easier then Max? Or are they equal to setup regards?
  • Beazel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    I'm guessing setting up a Fur solution in Maya is easier then Max? Or are they equal to setup regards?

http://www.squirrelyjones.com/public/fur.pdf

Kinda gives an understanding on what Max set up is like.

What the tutorial guy used as a tutorial originally.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel: I'm not sure, since I haven't used max. I found Maya's fur to be very easy to set up and use, there's a lot of control over each attribute via Maya's connection system. Maybe youtube up some maya fur tutorials if you're curious.

Thanks Beazel, I had remembered seeing squirrely's panda before, it looked fantastic. Never realized he had a tutorial up, looks like he used the flat approach I mentioned in my first post. (didn't expect the surprise ending!)

I'm still working on the model, I'll save the rest of my experiments for that. I'll post my results then.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Much appreciated guys :)
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK! New question, since I'm not very familiar with the technical aspects of working with cameras. I have some areas of the model where the hair has volume or comes off the main shape; think spiky hair or tassles on a coat sleeve. I'll catch those with planes coming off the mesh, and switch to the render/project method for those. Then stitch it up in Photoshop afterwards.

Framing the flat uv-mesh to render at 1024x1024 is simple. But how would I go about maintaining a proper textel ratio when I'm swinging the camera around to catch the different parts?
    I found this post, I get the idea of finding the areas of selected Polygons/UVs, but not how I can apply that to setting camera distance to the selection.

Edit to add pictures! For the facial pic, mine will have more standy-uppy hair, but this picture is overall better than refs that show that.
    dikdikfur1.jpg
    crop3.png
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10
    Can't try right now but you could try using mop's script : http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55987
    So you could "unfold" your geometry. Then just render it.
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    throttle kitty - i'm like 'hmm interesting topic and techniques...awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww'
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I finally got the modeling done and recovered I've recovered from surgery, on track with the fur now. This is more of a pain than I originally thought, results should be good, but I'm starting to think just painting the stuff would have been easier.

That said, and this being pretty niche and all, is anyone interested in a tutorial for this? Basically I'm mixing several techniques to get bakes, branching off from what squirrely jones did. I'd like to toss in tips and gotchas without my typical windy writing style.
  • wailingmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (apologies for the necro...perhaps there's already a follow-up post and I missed it)

I'd sure be interested to see what you came up with (and how), throttlekitty.
    I'm doing cat fur now, and next dog fur, so you've got me attention! ;)
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was just thinking about this last night, I had given up on the poor furless dik dik. What I was doing for baking seemed to work pretty well, but got frustrated trying to get the fur working and colored the way I wanted. Maybe I should finish it, I hate that unfinished smell in my projects folder.

I'll work on it this evening when I get back home as a refresher, and write a mini-tut for you.
  • wailingmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kewl! I'll look forward to it. :)

Interestingly, I rendered out just a fur plate (ala, that other tutorial/process)
    within Maya and then made a bit more alpha'd at the edges .png to use as a base-brush
    for stamping within 3DCoat...worked out fairly 'ok' as a basic textural basecoat for
    my cat. I may actually use it to drive Maya fur and see how it turns out, since my
    project doesn't have any restrictions against using Maya fur itself:

catfur_base.jpg
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That actually looks pretty nice. In the end, I'm leaning towards a stamp brush, or some thin ellipses with some scatter for drawing fur. It wouldn't be too much work to work a gradient map after that to get something less monochrome, or to handle base/tip color.

DikDikFur%20Bake%20Example.jpg
    ^baked fur on the lowpoly model.
    So, in this exercise pretend that I did a decent job with the fur. I'm still getting massive slowdown painting/grooming hair with a decent feedback preview, which dictates the resolution of the attribute maps. U and V samples in the furfeedbackshape=pixel resolution, even at 128x128, i find it unmanageable. The brush is very twitchy, particularly when applying direction as it is. Previewing changing the attributes in renders is a slow process especially with higher density fur, IPR helps, but there's no WSYWIG. I think the only saving grace with this is the overall complexity in color, overlapping using multiple fur systems on a mesh could be nice, but it is a very time consuming process.

DikDikFur%20Example.jpg
    Having said all that, the setup here is simple, I wanted to avoid the center mirror seam, so I UV'd a little past center with the intention of fixing the result in photoshop. In the top right, same mesh, but displayed at the 'uv-flat' output from the mopKnit script. I dropped a new ortho camera, set it to display resolution gate, and the background color similar to the average for the fur. Then I lined up the view to match the UVs by eyeballing it. I'm sure some science-y method could be used here, but I got pretty close on my first try, just a nudge in photoshop for this example. Render, save, done.

Going back to the results, there's the obvious seam issues that require a bit of work. Copy/pasting from the end section to the start section of another shell should work well, in the render, the hair actually continues past the flat-mesh. Other than that, it doesn't look bad, or wouldn't, with a bit of elbow grease, which this will not get. :p
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    There has been a thread of doing fur with zbrush fibermesh and baking with xnormal, I tested myself and it works real nice. Can't seem to find the thread tho.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, that didn't exist when this thread started. I haven't seen anything from Zbrush's fibermesh that really wows me over what people were doing with brushwork before.