greentooth
Offline / Send Message
theStoff greentooth
latest:
Display01.png
Display02.png
Pose.png
textureDisplay.jpg

Ok, I am getting started. I went through the process of thinking of a character to do and had to opt for link being one of my favorite characters. I decided to bring so technology to link so I mixed in a little bit of steam punk (and made him a bit more badass - why not?). I am still not sure about this concept so for though. Almost seams a little thrown together and lacking in something but I can't point it out exactly.

SteamLink.jpg

I am also designing a mechanized navy to go with him. It will also be steam powered and can retrieve power from link's steam supply.

skethes3.jpg

Enjoy!

Replies

• Evasivicity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The fantasy meets steampunk style will definitely be interesting to see. Perhaps you think it looks thrown together because the red and green colors are clashing?
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Hm, it might be the color. I'll try to play with that in a bit. But I think I'm also concerned about how the gear is worn. It might need to be more integrated into the costume. Anyway, I made a redesign of the navy robot for now. I thought it should have a body and a little more personality.

navy-1.jpg
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    So I decided to remake the design a bit but I am still not sure if I like it that much. Any comments on what I have or directions I could maybe go in would be good.

SteamLink2.jpg
  • akacg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akacg polycounter lvl 12
    Very cool concept man
  • Onuris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this could be cool. But you need to think about why he has what he has. (i.e. Why does Link have a gun?) Don't just do Steampunk to do Steampunk. Make it fit Link. For instance, maybe give him a steam/piston powered arm that he can launch his boomerang with. Boomerang flying at ya at supersonic speeds; to me that's a lot cooler and fits Link better than just some Steampunk gun.
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    That's a cool idea Onuris. I'd rather see a hookshot arm, though. :)
  • RMBT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RMBT polycounter lvl 11
    Agree, a hookshot would be very fitting! Nice work so far.
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Alright, I agree with all of you. And that is why I decided to take a step back and look at this again. I have developed a new plan.

I have moved away from the steam punk but am keeping the mechanical concept. I want to take link and bring in styles from GOW and MGS4. He will be going in the anti-hero direction. However, I have thought of several concepts while keeping in mind what constitutes the original concept of Link.

- Link in a massive robotic suit
    - Rail gun launches his bombs (which will now be disk shaped)
    - His sword will be mechanized but still retain the iconic shape of the master sword
    - Will have “hover” boots built with thrusters
    - Has hook shot (accept will be used to obtain enemy hearts for health to power his suit)
    - Two tanks on his back filled with green and red potion to power the suit
    (green is for force shield, red for energy source)
    - Shoulder pads designed to look like Hyrule shield
    - Electro-magnet in hands of suit
    - 3 storage slots in suit for collecting the medallions to the temple of time
    - Within armor, Link has thermal suit (which I picture to look something like Raiden’s from MGS4) to help him survive the heat in Goron mountain (i.e. an iteration of the fire tunic)

Beyond this I also decided to make a few silhouettes and thumbnails. I am still unsure if these are going in a good direction or not but any suggestions would be welcome. Also, look out for a few more thumbnails. I just put these up for now so I can at least say I managed to fit some time in for something over the weekend. :)

LinkSuitThumbs.jpg
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    I have some more sketches here. Nothing fancy but I did a few quick drawings on paper, sorry about the scanner blur. I am leaning towards the design I have for the thermal suit (which would be worn under the larger machinery) and #37 for the actual armor except for the helmet part.

sketches1.jpg
    sketches2.jpg
    thermalSuit.jpg
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Alright, it has been a long time since I have been able to do any actual work for this project. It isn't much but I want to show that I am at least working on something. This is a simple placeholder block-out of the model.

link_blockout.jpg
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    I have some stuff being shaped out now. Here's an update.

overallUpdate02.jpg
    faceUpdate01.jpg
    paintover.jpg
  • Rorkimaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rorkimaru polycounter lvl 10
    MGS4 and Zelda collide ^_^
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    OK, some detailing updates. I am just showing the start of the suit and the hookshot which is why not everything is showing.

details.jpg
    closeup.jpg
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    So it is apparent that I will sadly not be finishing this on time. However, I will finish as much as I can and continue this on my own time. If anyone has any comment or suggestions on what I have to date let me know. I'm having issues with how to construct the helmet.

update:
    details02.jpg
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Well It's not done but it's close.

ColorTestLink.jpg
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Here's a bit of an update. Have a bit of texturing and low poly stuff going on. :)

lowPolyStart.jpg
    lowPolyStartClose.jpg
  • Superconductor
    Looks great. Keep it up!
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Thanks, I'm on it :). I unfortunately have to slow down a bit but all there is left to do is paint the pieces and bake maps so should be done soon.
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    So I've gotten most of the model finished now but I've encountered a problem. I can't seem to be able to attach an alpha channel to the shader correctly causing everything to be semi-transparent. Does anyone know the correct way to attach an alpha channel to a blinn shader?
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    Finally, it's done.

Display01.png
    Display02.png
    Pose.png
    textureDisplay.jpg