Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Middle East Environment - UDK

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    water tank and barrel look nice. one thing that bothers me a bit tho is the metal structure holding it all up. the texture seems a bit untended. as if you have a tileable texture just slapped onto it without any thought of what should be happening in some areas (dirt buildup, scrapes, etc). id say give that bit a little more attention in the texture. :D
  • karatekodden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    karatekodden polycounter lvl 7
    Here is an update on the scene with a new camera flytrough.

Things that have been done since the last video post:
    -Updated textures on house module, house column, air condition, stone well, wooden bucket, cargo box
    - Created new assets: rice bags, sandals, washed clothes, stone variations and water tank
    -Adding more grass and stones to the scene.
    -Lighting and skybox update.

Things to do:
    - Still have issues with the moving clothes. This time the clothes starts to wobbling after a while.
    - Texture on water tank.
    - Optimization
    - Lighting experiment
    - Create some more trash decals to the ground.
    - Position of the soldier and the soldiers gun texture.

Feel free to suggest more things for me to fix. My planned project time is soon running out :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gybH4TDI_wk[/ame]
  • duxun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    like some one mentioned before the tank texture is great but it needs more love...

could you add color variation specially on the 90 degree pipe angles and on the top of the tank the cover there mare them rusty red/brown ...

details like these really help sell a model !!

great job mang ...
  • InMOP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking much better already, your textures seem much more crisp, and good call on the water tank and sandals.

One thing tho you might want to cut down the number of rice bags in some places you have too many. but all in all looks much better
  • karatekodden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback.

Today is the last day on my planned worktime for the project and feel ready to post some final images of the envrionment.

I know there are some changes and things I can work more on but you can't work on a project for ever. I think it's good and challenging to put up a time limit to see what you can accomplish within that period.

I'm going to experiment more with the lightning before I leave this project behind for a nother project. Maybe I'll come back later and add some more assets and work on the textures a bit. Also going to post a video when I've captured the flytrought.

Here are some renders on how the scene looks like right now. Cheers!

middle_east_screenshot_01.jpgmiddle_east_screenshot_02.jpgmiddle_east_screenshot_04.jpgmiddle_east_screenshot_06.jpgmiddle_east_screenshot_07.jpgmiddle_east_screenshot_09.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    looks awesome. nice clear shots. :D i would however suggest that, since you said you'll still dabble with lighting, you add in a bit of DOF for the farther objects, not just the close ones. something subtle but still noticeable (the last shot that you have SEEMS like you have some DOF but i cant be sure)
  • karatekodden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Oniram.
    There is a very subtle DOF in the post process chain right now.
    However I may bring it up when, I experiment with the light, a little bit to make it more noticeable :)
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiegoTeran polycounter lvl 11
    i dont think its a good idea to use someones tire model either. i suggest u go back and change some stuff on it. and no offense but putting an environment together with props u got from doing tutorials is kinda cheesy... watch the tutorial, learn from it, and do ur own thing. apart from that everything else looks really good. specially the textures. im horrible at it :p so yea its looking good. keep it up
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    the soldier is way too big, he should be ~25% smaller.
  • karatekodden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turista: I actually made some changes on the wheel after the first post and before putting it in the environment beacuse I wasn't happy with the end result.

ZacD: I've been looking at some referense when I placed the soldier in the scene and I don't think the soldier is way to big? The houses in middle east are in some cases really small. Do you compare with the door or the other props?
    Here are some referens pictures that I've been looking at:

6c9e582a1c3b6ccb594356654c4cb399387bc39d_two_column.jpgarmy.mil...jpg

large_DiyalaIraq_US_Troops_Meye.JPG
  • PHArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    People in the west, on average, are ~10% bigger than the people living in the middle east.

http://www.interbasket.net/news/4385/2009/09/average-height-by-country-males-20-years/
    Not sure if it is an official survey (I assume not), but it gives a sense of the right direction.
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thats good that u changed that... and about ur Soldier... i think he is a little big... idk about 25%... doors in iraq are usually a bit smaller then here. a soldier in average is about 5-6 to 5-10 and yes middle eastern people are smaller. i say bring down ur Soldier a bit in size.

i remember when i was in iraq we met a local who was about 5-2 lol tiny man. ill look for the pics to give u some idea of the locals there.

but as anywhere else... they are not all small...
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    k here are a couple from iraq i have. some with kids, some with men and some with woman and around doors to give u an idea.

Picture376.jpg
    Picture370.jpg
    Picture343.jpg
    Picture294.jpg
    Picture357.jpg

k there it is. i got a million other pics if u want more reference.

ok so im the hispanic/white guy there and im 5-8 so figure out the size of the rest and measuer up some doors and u set. ill try and find u some door images
  • PHArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Turista, that's some nice reference you got there. :)
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanx :) lol helps that I have life experience about the subject :) and I have about 2000 more pics to share if anyone needs some.
  • karatekodden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the referense pictures. It all makes sens now :) I have modelled all the props with the soldier as a reference so if I bring down the soldier I think I have to resize som of the props to.. I also think the angle of the camera is giving a wrong picture of how big the soldier is compered to the door and overall environment but I will test to scale him down a little bit. Will post tomorrow since I don't acces to my computer today :) cheers!
  • DiegoTeran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea like that trashcan u have... Seems kinda big
  • NoChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your shadows are really black and crisp, and look unnatural, soften the edges, and change your shadow color to a a dark grey or grey/blue, instead of pure black.
  • karatekodden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys,

About the shadows I thougt I wanted to have much contrast in the picture to give it that kind of "hard, tough" feeling. Been looking att the new trailers from Battlefield 3 where thay have this hard contrast looking style which I really like. Don't really know how to get that soft edge on the shadows when I working with dynamic shadows and lightmaps. Any suggestions? :P Since the scene is placed in the middle of the day with a very bright sun I thought that the shadows used to be sharp? But like I said I will exeriment more with the lighting and shadow to get that right feeling. Thanks for the feedback!

I've been experimented with the size of the soldier and I tought i will post 3 pictures of different sizes. The first picture shows the size of the soldier how it used to be. The two other pictures shows how I have decreased the soldier in two steps. Which one do you guys think fits in best?

character_size_01.jpgcharacter_size_02.jpgcharacter_size_03.jpg
  • PHArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2nd picture is best imo
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    I like you water tank prop, put it's both repetitive and doesn't really make sense.

I think that you should place one copy on the ground and then make two different, could be enough with one, water barrels on the roof. A water barrel for supply, you know what i mean (:

It's really coming together! (:
  • karatekodden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks stlrOlsson! Yeah it may be a little repetitive both having the water tank on the ground and on the roofs. Actually I created the tank to be placed on the roofs but i tought it fitted in on the ground. Was looking at some referense pictures when I did the tank and they reallly have a lots of them.

Maybe it's enought to create some color variations and put some barrels in there as well?

PICT0027.JPG522_o.jpg180_o.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, yeah. I've never seen them used that way. But i still feel that they don't really fit in you setting. You've created a pretty poor feeling, in a good way :P, and the water tanks feel like they just don't fit.

I tried to find a picture of what i meant, but couldn't. It's something you would fin in the favela for example. A simple 40 liters-ish barrel on a small wooden frame.

Something like this maybe:

favela.jpg
  • karatekodden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely get your point. Will add some of that water barrel when I get some time. First I need to finish some school assignments :( Not as funny to working with this scene but you got to do your duty. :) Cheers!
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Really like how far this has come, looks stunning :).
  • karatekodden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys. Been I while since my last update but have been busy with some school assignments. Got feedback about adding some water barrels and here is the result from zbrush and maya viewport. Going to put them in the environment and post some new screenshots with a few updates. Cheers!
    water_barrel_hi_poly.jpgwater_barrel_maya.jpg
    water_barrel_maya_wired.jpg
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    cool barrel, few crtis:

You need to work on the material of the barrel. Its plastic right? The specular is looking chalky and not in the favour of the materials properties.
    Maybe add a slight cubemap over the top - or smoothen out the spec falloff.

The Tap looks disjointed from the barrel- maybe make the attachment more pronounced and a little AO to bring together.

Could optimizes the caps further if you wanted to.

Coming together man!
  • karatekodden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm not really saticfied with the spec of the barrel in Mayas viewport but I though I will experiment more with the shader in UDK. Otherwise I will change the specular texture :)

I first had an AO from the tap but since I'm using the same texture on the barrel with and without the tap I had to get rid of that one. Maybe I will just have put it back and have two different textures.

Thanks for the critics! Cheers
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool stuff: I think you could turn down the business in the spec if the barrel. Those kinda plastic barrels tend to get pretty beaten up resulting in kinda "deep" scratches and stuff. I think the specular it self can be a bit more plane with benefit.

It looks like you went a bit crazy with the polygons on that tap. And btw, why is there a tap there in the first place? Isn't the purpose of "barrel on the roof" that the water would actually be tapped inside of the house?

Anyhow, this will make a great addition with the nice bright color and stuff!
  • karatekodden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I will change the specular texture and reduce the polygons on that tap.

How do you get the water in that barrel if there was no tap? ;)

Post later with some update.. Cheers!

1_55galWaterBarrel_full.gif

59bcf535c74e9ca.jpg
  • Roepetoepa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roepetoepa polycounter lvl 12
    I really like it except from the character ... he looks a bit too skinny I think I'd scale the width up if I was you :]
    Also his pose is a bit weird especially for the raised foot .. it looks a bit feminin ...
    Anyways cool shizzle :]
  • karatekodden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Guys

Here is the last update of my middle east environment scene in UDK. Think I will call this project done after about 5-6 weeks working with it and moving on to the next project. Giving you a little flytrough of the scene UDK (best result in 720p :)) . You can find more images of the environment and other stuff on my website by clicking here.

Thanks for all the feedback and don't be afraid to give some more critics, even if I think I will leave the scene behind. Can allways take with me critics to the next project :) Cheers!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktPc_8A4YJk[/ame]