Home General Discussion

A Tutorial Proposal

Hey guys,

I had, what I think at least, is a pretty cool idea! But, I need some feedback. I consider myself an ok 3D artist - I can knock out some props etc but I'm not up there with the big boys, that's for sure.

Introducing "Project Enviro"

There are a lot of people like me who are keen for full, in depth tutorials that go through the complete workflow - and that's a gap that I'd like to fill.

My idea is this... I jump in the deep end and attempt to create a complete environment. Model it, unwrap it, texture and present it in engine (UDK probably). Now, it's something I can definitely do - but I'd like to keep it open to the public and the knowledge base of Polycount. If I can get enough crits, tips on best practice, cool ideas for workflow etc etc. then these points will be the focus of the tutorial that I create at the end.

I have a background in video editing and motion graphics so I'd like to give back to the community by creating a kick ass, full on video tutorial that can serve as a guide for people like me and the position that I'm in now.

With the knowledge base of Polycount, I'm sure we'll be able to get an average artist like me up to a good standard and that will define the perfect content for a tutorial aimed at me (or the skill level I'm at now).

Contributors to my progress will be duly acknowledged as will any existing resources I use to make this video tutorial.

It'll be hard work, and I'll probably want to give up at points. But if the community gets behind it then we'll end up with a great video tutorial and a documentation of the Polycount knowledge base.

Thoughts?

Replies