Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Brooklyn Building UDK

mixeh
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
mixeh polycounter lvl 8
Hey goobers,

Building I've been working on for the last couple weeks. Everything fits on a 2048x2048. Still need some lighting/rendering polish. Looking for some advice on this!

Thanks!

Replies

• Buppy
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    I like it a lot. maybe you can break up that brick with some paint, grime and water stains. The bottom layer could benefit from peeling paint and what not. Looking really smooth tho. Keep up the good work.
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    love it id be curious to see how you partitioned your atlas texture map
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    Not really any crits from me, it looks pretty awesome imo. The only thing on your bottom right render, there seems to be a lot of empty space between the angular front of the building and the side. Not sure if that is a problem though, just something I notcied.
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    loving it ! push that lighting man !
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Nice work, push the lighting for sure and be careful with contrasts in your graffiti.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Yeah the lighting is too flat. If you look at a histogram nothing goes past mid tone.

If you move the light back down the right side street and then slightly lower you could also get some reflected light off the side of the building. Also having the light at a steep angle will amp up your normals a bit.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I agree with the lighting comments, you should make a nice bright sun shining off that building, awesome job!
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Good looking stuff thus far. A few ideas / crits I had:

- Front door is very unassuming - consider a small overhang or at the very least some trim around the door.
    - Top floor / roof line needs trim badly. It's a very abrupt end that leaves the building flowing up and away.
    - Would be visually interesting to see some large scale sinage, either coming off the 45 degree front or the sides. Could be perpendicular or parallel to the surface of the building.
    - Objects on the roof top would add some nice silhouette
    - Fire hydrant color is bland - this could be used as a nice pop or red or yellow in the scene if so inclined
    - a few strange scale bits - hydrants are a bit tall on z, dumpster is tall, front door is too tall and thin, first floor windows look waay oversize, etc. Choose one object, size it really well, then base everything off that.

Overall I think the texture work and detail is great. Consider doing a night time lighting setup as well as something early morning / early evening for some nice light color.

-Tyler
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    I appreciate the lighting suggestions everyone - thanks.

In regards to Tylers post, many of the proportion errors (minus the hydrant), are actually "correct" as far as the building I've used as reference goes, pretty much to a T. The building in Brooklyn does have some weird proportions, I'll post a picture of it when I'm home from work. So you can use that as a comparison. I do agree some objects on the roof would help and I will extend the current trim out a bit more, as well as possibly add a large sign out the front. The black hydrant was a personal choice, as there are a million red hydrants floating about. Oh and the dumpsters themselves are tall in general:

plastik-cop-konteyner.jpg

Just wrote all this and now realize I sound like I'm trying to reject criticism, NOT AT ALL, just trying to let you guys know why I did some things as I did!
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    Small update, mainly just a lighting change, still need to implement quite a few other things suggested here by polycounters, but let me know if this is an improvement. I will be doing a scene from a few other times of day.

I am still considering adding a large sign out the front as suggested by Tyler and need to make graffiti not so pronounced and spread it out a bit more around the outside staircases.

Below also is the reference building I used, it was merely a guideline, I wasn't following colours exactly, I also knocked off a level. Might just explain some of my proportions.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    excellent work! I love the brick texture and everything. :)
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matroskin polycounter lvl 11
    looks cool, but the roof edge is a bit too close to the topmost window edge. So it feels like there is no place for roof to fit in.

And yes, if u will analyse your photo ref u'll see that while the actual roof edge looks the same (same decoration as u did) but there is larger distance between roof edge and top windows;) )
    That is a part of common archietcture rules.

Btw, u notice how the windows of the "champhered corner" side (on the photo) are ofset in relation to the other windows? It is because there is a staircase and staricase usually has windows in-between floors just whre the a platform is ;)
    So for the future u need to research the reference a bit motre precisely to know wht u can alter and what is there because that is how buildings are constructed ;)
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    I think it's still looking too clean right now. Grime on the walls, between some of the bricks, and additional water stains, particularly under the overhangs. Beyond that it looks really good, and really well lit :)
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    Ah I see, thanks for explaining the building a little better, i get what you're saying but it's difficult when you can't even fashion a desk out of timber let alone know how a buildings constructed. i guess it's a lesson of if you don't know, follow the reference as close as possible.

i did notice its a little too clean, ill make some decals and splatter them over the place. having looked at it for a while, i think it could definitely benefit from a large scale vertical sign out the front, to break up that really plain spot right in the middle of the image.

Thanks for the advice guys.
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    np man,
    anyways, your building is looking great from the art side :)

U see, the purpose is not to follow ref 100% but to know what part is affected only by art/aethetics and what part is dictated by construcion, so u can know what u can change and what u can't.
    If u might be interested later on what can become your ref of the day for architecture is Neufert:
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Architects-Data-3rd-Ernst-Neufert/dp/0632057718[/ame]

I mean, its not that important to pay attention on all details and sizes (well, the book is for architects, not for game artists of course;), but it gives a good idea about anything related to any part or any kind of building.
  • harrytraynor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im loving it, looks really realistic
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    Hmm okay another little update, added a sign out the front, added some height to the roof and changed the lighting a little bit more, also added some more grunge to the building.

Will work on a night scene tomorrow and post some textures, thanks as always peeps.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    This nis looking better already! I love the new lighting!
  • Matroskin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah, the top floor looks better now hehe ;)
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Great building! I'm loving your textures and the lighting is fantastic! Those lamp post are waaaay too small though, in your reference it goes as high as the fourth floor. Your scaling is also off it seems, there should be another floor and the floors that you have should be a touch more squashed. Maybe that's the look your going for, but it's not quite accurate. I'm loving where this is headed though and keep up the awesome work!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Love the additions. Starting to feel like a scene. Can you lighten the shadows by the fire escapes? The shadows are similar colored to the material of the escape making it hard to read them. Also one thing that stinks out is where the brick meets the grey area. It seems like the brick UVs need to be moved up a bit so more the brick is visible.
  • polygoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polygoo polycounter lvl 17
    pretty awesome, would love to see some higher res shots
  • [iWi]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just looking these snaps ; can not say something else then "cool" & " perfect" !
    Love it , man !:thumbup::poly142:
  • ProfNutbutters
    very amazing model and textures its so delightfully busy model for an urban architecture this is an inspiring render well done ^^
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    Lighting and additions look a lot better :)
    The only other thing that really draws my eye right now is the perfectly straight line between the grey paint and the brick wall. It's just looks out of place, especially since the delineation between the white and grey paint is imperfect.
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    SaferDan - Thanks!
    Matroskin - Haha I tired my best! I know I'm still missing that concave bit but I think it'll stay the way it is for now!
    marq4porsche - Thanks. Oh I intentionally cut off one floor. I wanted to keep it a tad smaller so i wouldn't have it too big with sparse spaces, i wanted it to be interesting everywhere. I see what you mean by them needing to be a bit more squashed, I might change that.
    jeffro - I'll try adjust the shadow colour, I'm not UDK pro so I'll do my best.
    polygoo - I'll be posting some higher shots today :)
    [iWi] - Means a lot mate!
    Slipstream - I'll be changing that today, thanks for pointing it out.
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    I am trying to render out a larger image, but tiledshot in UDK keeps giving me black lines in the screenshot as per below, has anyone had this problem before?
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    First ever attempt at lighting a night scene, I may have completely missed the mark:

Plan to put this scene in my portfolio as well as close ups of these props, so be ruthless!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Looks great. You're a ground and some side/background buildings away from having a whole scene.

Maybe put a tinge more yellow in the street lights. That might balance the blue sign out. Not too much or it will be overpowering.

Try using light from emissive on the blue lettering to get some spill. You'll also have to put small spots where the letters are too though.

Your graffiti by the front door closest to the camera is all black. You might fade it here and there to look more natural.
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks Jeffro, will work on a lot of that now.
  • ariofighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ariofighter polycounter lvl 13
    If you bring up the command in UDK with tab instead of tilde you shouldn't get that issue. I had that problem getting images from my last UDK scene.