Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

scifi bomb prop

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
Here's my first prop going towards a scifi environment (hopefully) I have in my head. Picked up Marmoset Toolbag last night. I don't think I know what I'm doing with it... Crits appreciated!marmoset.jpg

Replies

• jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Nice clean little prop man! Not much to say other than keep the work coming!
  • Purplepaint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Purplepaint polycounter lvl 8
    Great looking prop man, can't wait to see the environment

I picked up the marmoset toolbag a while ago and sadly I havent had time to do much of any personal 3d work thanks to all my class assignments so i know how u feel with that :P
  • Cap Hotkill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cap Hotkill polycounter lvl 13
    nice work!
    to me it looks more like a power generator though.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

Purplepaint: I'm thinking about trying my hand at Dominance War, so the environment might have to wait. I'm excited either way.

Cap Hotkill: Haha, yeah you may be right. It actually started off as a crate, but the more I looked at it I was reminded of that bomb at the end of Fifth Element. So I added the little countdown timer and started calling it a bomb lol.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    No crits, its brilliant.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have one thing, design-wise: how did the casing get so scratched up and dented without the bomb blowing up?

I've asked myself that same question. I don't think I'll label it as a bomb forever :)
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe some sort of portable generator?
  • scotthomer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It could be some kind of medical device, like "stick your arm in here and we'll see whats wrong with you"

Or an Arm Remover?
    Or a penis r..nevermind.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penis remover seems most likely
  • Wonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonkey polycounter lvl 10
    Looks cool, whatever it ends up being!
  • toxic_h2o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toxic_h2o polycounter lvl 8
    texturing is great! however i don't really see a bomb. still awesome though.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    the texture is decent, but here's some things i noticed.

dabomb.jpg

1. these chip shapes are so fantastic, but since the surrounding areas (marked in the image) have a bunch of noise, so the chips are getting lost. ditch the random 1px scrapes and maybe try moving that black noise to the specular only.

2. blurry.

3. what material are these pipes made out of? there's a bunch of noise in the diffuse, but the material is high gloss and the spec is flat?? always source materials from real life, and always make what a material looks like, not what you THINK it looks like.

4. noisy. how would these super defined chips get here?

5. more noise. think "how would this get here?"

6. too defined. long scrapes like this need to have variation, and can't just be on or off. otherwise, they look too much like the chips on the side.

7. this damage looks unnatural to me. perhaps it's because of the scrape that goes around a corner, which wouldn't be likely to happen in real life.

8. these vents are behind the pipes and the beam, how would it get all those defined edge scrapes? perhaps try some leaks or other form of damage that would believably come from vents.

9. what is this material? looks like concrete, not very sci-fi.

10. messy! these bottom scrapes have no structure, they look obviously 1px brush hand painted. trash em and find yourself a good photo instead.

NOTE: you have scrapes in some crevices, which don't usually get wear other than dirt and dust. think about it, how would they get dinged up if scrapey things hit something else first? here's a diagram.

scraperbike.jpg

hope this helps!
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the strict critique racer. I'll have to go over these better when I'm back at home.

3: I think the gloss is a marmoset issue. I don't have a gloss map on it yet. I don't like them that glossy either.

4 and 5: These little pockets I imagined would be some kind of mounting points for transporting. So putting pressure down in those areas would wear over time.

7: I allowed for more damage on the handles because I figured they'd be handled a lot (no pun intended :>), but the "around the corner" scrapes will def need a fix.

8: Yeah, I considered that when putting those scrapes in there. Those plates were just too tempting not to chip! I'll reconsider :(

9: I wanted those shapes to be exposed metal. I was thinking they're some kind of contact plates for electric currents or something. (I'm clearly not an engineer lol) It's actually the base texture underneath everything. I agree it's looking rather concretish though. I'll get some better source.

10: Those scraps look fairly structured to me :/ They're mostly going horizontally across the surface, where it would get bashed around by passing objects.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    10: it makes sense completely, but they're sparse and look obviously hand painted. check out this photo i pulled from cgtextures. especially look at the left and right edges.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1725586/crits/MetalBare0145_H.jpg
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 wrote: »
    10: it makes sense completely, but they're sparse and look obviously hand painted. check out this photo i pulled from cgtextures. especially look at the left and right edges.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1725586/crits/MetalBare0145_H.jpg

I see what you mean. I'll try to clean this stuff up tonight. Thanks again!
  • Jonsnow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity: very nice prop, i like

Racer445: the best constructive criticism i have ever seen, good job Racer445 and please more tips and tutorials,
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Great work, and really nice crits from Racer445.
  • BorisK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahaha Racer is such a badass, im def remembering this
    dude taught me to texture and bake lol
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Hitmon, just a tip if you are using a spec map in marmoset it doesn't show until you check the box "use specularity" or something like that in your mat screen, these scratches don't seem to have a spec map but that would really help them pop!
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Very nice stuff! And very nice critics racer445!
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth wrote: »
    Hey Hitmon, just a tip if you are using a spec map in marmoset it doesn't show until you check the box "use specularity" or something like that in your mat screen, these scratches don't seem to have a spec map but that would really help them pop!

Spec is on. I don't have a gloss map yet though. I'm wondering what difference that will make...
  • OtrickP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
    Nice and clean, although some edges need tending like mentioned above. Maps would be great to check out as well for crits.
  • ajr2764
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajr2764 polycounter lvl 10
    Cool design, I dont know if I'd think it was a bomb if you didn't say but its' well executed. I like the color choices and texture work so far. Look at Racerr445 creeping around polycount dropping in and out giving those awesome critiques of his.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Sweet stuff, congrats on a great looking prop, can't see any problems here.
    I'm guessing when you say bomb it's an autodestruct fixed to the floor of some kind of spaceship or secret lab ;)
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the support fellas. Here's an update with racer's suggestions. At this point I think I'd like to call it done. Unless of course there's some glaring problems.marmoset2.jpg
  • WillMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Mate, if there was a sniper shooting as us and your crate was there amongst other people's crate... I would seriously risk the run to get behind this crate".

Love the texture work, the kinda textures i want to make. Quality!

EDIT: Oh shit! It was a bomb! Still... looks ace, boom!
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WillMac wrote: »
    "Mate, if there was a sniper shooting as us and your crate was there amongst other people's crate... I would seriously risk the run to get behind this crate".

Love the texture work, the kinda textures i want to make. Quality!

EDIT: Oh shit! It was a bomb! Still... looks ace, boom!

Lol. It started as a crate. Thanks man. Now if only I could decide what I'm going to officially label it as!
  • OtrickP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP polycounter lvl 9
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OtrickP wrote: »
    maps!!

Lol. Here's what I just put on my portfolio:
    Scifi_3.jpg