Home General Discussion

Killzone 3 Hits Torrent Sites

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar wrote: »
    What? I think you're mistaken. The industry would not fall into oblivion if copyright law was repealed. If you're going to rely solely on selling copies, copies which are already easy to copy, then you're not going to be solvent in the market. But there are still people willing to pay you to make art. Just because selling the results of your sweat and tears doesn't work in an unprotected market, doesn't mean you can't leverage your talents for those willing to pay for it. It's the same as a home builder. You give them the resources (money and materials), they give you their labor. That's what is at the center of this all, labor. Labor is always worth paying for and it can't be taken against one's will or copied. It's the ultimate scarce good.

Yes, the starving artist economic plan, brilliant!

I love how 90% of your posts begin with "You dont understand, I think you're mistaken, etc". Well, i'm going to bow out for now, as this is just a waste of my time.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    greevar polycounter lvl 6
    rooster wrote: »
    games are just like air. As we all know, it takes a teams of people years of hard work to make air, but those guys just give the stuff away. Whats with these games assholes charging for that shit

It took billions of years to make the atmosphere breathable for us. I think that trumps game developers' contribution to games. Can you make a planet with compatible atmosphere for human life?
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster wrote: »
    I can't help but wonder with all this fantastic knowledge at your disposal, why you aren't already insanely rich and successful.. or maybe you are and you're just helping the rest of us out

Because knowing and doing are two different things maybe?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    repeating theories on economics and knowing are also two different things. I prefer to listen to people with knowledge based on experience, but since you've got so many industry professionals agreeing with you, I'll step aside
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Ok before I lock this thread down please stop feeding the trolls. Greevar registered barely a month ago and has almost 230 posts in that time, most of them being in threads like this.

So more art Greevar less trolling ey?

Good, now back to the topic at hand. It was pirated. It's a shitty thing. Pirates have been doing it for years. It was only a matter of time. Sucks but news like this is like hearing about Activision buying up small devs then shutting them down a short time later. It's just the way it is.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Ok before I lock this thread down please stop feeding the trolls. Greevar registered barely a month ago and has almost 230 posts in that time, most of them being in threads like this.

Good, now back to the topic at hand. It was pirated. It's a shitty thing. Pirates have been doing it for years. It was only a matter of time. Sucks but news like this is like hearing about Activision buying up small devs then shutting them down a short time later. It's just the way it is."

Agreed. I'm not trying to troll. I just come off that way for some reason. I'm honestly trying be an asset here, not a problem. I'm sorry if I'm being a pain, that's not my intention. I see that people are upset over this issue and I want to help solve it. I've always been the kind of person that wants fix stuff. Truce?
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuck pirates I want the game and these toys... Shown at toy fair.

IMG_0922.JPG

I'd buy one for $60 if the game came with it! Now only if I had $60!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Ok before I lock this thread down please stop feeding the trolls. Greevar registered barely a month ago and has almost 230 posts in that time, most of them being in threads like this.

Good, now back to the topic at hand. It was pirated. It's a shitty thing. Pirates have been doing it for years. It was only a matter of time. Sucks but news like this is like hearing about Activision buying up small devs then shutting them down a short time later. It's just the way it is."

Agreed. I'm not trying to troll. I just come off that way for some reason. I'm honestly trying be an asset here, not a problem. I'm sorry if I'm being a pain, that's not my intention. I see that people are upset over this issue and I want to help solve it. I've always been the kind of person that wants fix stuff. Truce?

How about this;

Start your own thread, write an essay on piracy, copyright issues, whatever you want. Feel free to discuss your opinions and ideas there ad nauseum. To me the major problem has been that you seemingly only post(in general discussion) to argue these issues, and it always seems to clutter up a bunch of random threads that have varying levels of relevance.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    How about this;

Start your own thread, write an essay on piracy, copyright issues, whatever you want. Feel free to discuss your opinions and ideas there ad nauseum. To me the major problem has been that you seemingly only post(in general discussion) to argue these issues, and it always seems to clutter up a bunch of random threads that have varying levels of relevance.

I think I have already written a few essays on the subject here in the forum eh? ;) Nevertheless, you've got a point.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    you should start your own blog on it, it would only end in another closed thread here on PC or lolcatz :D take it easy greevar, just stop always playing devils advocate and keep on topic. And the more art on the boards the better.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Grevar, move to mars, I heard air is free there, as long as someone is willing to ship it..

for free..
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking at what PMG just did with their "Dare to Share" promotion. Maybe a modified version of that would work well for selling games.

1. Stop leaks 100%.

2. Release a good demo so people can get a taste of what the game is like and want to buy the full version.

3. Set a target sales goal. Something realistic that covers development and some profit for future development, investors, employee bonuses, etc...

4. Let customers start paying whatever they wanted to reach that goal, like what the Humble Indie Bundles did.

5. Make sure the goal is "transparent" in actual dollars with the goal amount and actual progress known so people can see how close they are to reaching the goal and getting the game. Rather than what PMG did with their manually updated green bar thingy.

6. Once goal is met, release the game to all who purchased it, and continue selling additional copies at the averaged price of what everyone else paid for additional profits.

It would seem to me that a game would sell itself provided the demo proved beyond any doubt that the full game is worth buying. If people really want the game they will contribute more in order to get it faster and convince others to buy as well.

If they don't really want the game because it sucks then it probably wouldn't have sold well in a traditional way anyway.

For those that are poor or claim that games "cost too much" they still get a chance at the game by contributing very little. The seller could set a minimum purchase price at say $1 or whatever would still contribute to the target goal while also covering the costs of the sale and distribution.

The only problem would be if sales lag and people loose interest and ask to cancel their orders.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I'm honestly trying be an asset here

you're certainly being a tool
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    Ben Apuna wrote: »

3. Set a target sales goal. Something realistic that covers development and some profit for future development, investors, employee bonuses, etc...

4. Let customers start paying whatever they wanted to reach that goal, like what the Humble Indie Bundles did.

5. Make sure the goal is "transparent" in actual dollars with the goal amount and actual progress known so people can see how close they are to reaching the goal and getting the game. Rather than what PMG did with their manually updated green bar thingy.

6. Once goal is met, release the game to all who purchased it, and continue selling additional copies at the averaged price of what everyone else paid for additional profits.

you just described KickStarter
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting

Sorry for the off topic post btw, didn't realize the thread had run it's course.
  • greevar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken wrote: »
    you're certainly being a tool

What gives you the impression that I am being manipulated without my knowledge? Or did you mean to call me an idiot? What does either accomplish?