Home Technical Talk

Texture Baking issues

iniside
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
iniside polycounter lvl 6
box003ambientocclusionm.jpg
thatshouldlike.jpg

The first image is the actuall result of bake. As you may notice it missing shadow (suroned by red line).

Second image is from rendering window (as you can see, shadow here is present).

I'm using mental ray for baking, as well as box unwrapped on front side only.(problem presits with plane as well).

I have make some brick bakes earlier, and it alwyas work fine, ithis is first time I see something like this.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which app?

What you see in the render preview window is a full render that includes the scene lighting. If you don't have lights in your scene then this is the one light that follows the viewport camera around, a bit like a light on a minisub exploring the Titanic. Where ever it shines will be lit up. If you where to view the back of your object the front would be dark and shadowed, if you move it around it will change.

Whenever you RTT you want to ignore the results in the render preview window, it will be a full on "complete bake that includes everything" it will save out the pieces and those are what you want to go check.

It would be that mental ray is just missing it. It might help to make sure you have geometry all around the outer edges so it gets captured. You can also try tweaking the projection cage if you're in max. You can also set up a custom light dome and render a regular diffuse map with lights and shadows turned on.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    3ds max. I have single skylight on scene.

Geometry is setup fine, and cover everything I want to be rendered.

Anyway I will keep trying on tweaking.