Home Technical Talk

Move UV shell to absolute position (not ".moveX")

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
SimonT interpolator
Hi, i couldn't found out how i can just move the selected UV faces to an absolute position (means, the center of the selected shell would be on the new position after moving).

I want to move every shell to the same position so they overlap each other. In my case every face is one single shell and i want to have them at the same position so the share the same uv space.

What i would like to have is something like:
myFaces = $.unwrap_uvw.getSelectedFaces
moveShell (to: x y z) myFaces;

Replies

• Farfarer
    Get the centre position of the island, (U1, V1).

Get the position you want to move it to (U2, V2).

Subtract the former from the latter (U1 - U2, V1 - V2).

Move island by those new amounts.
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    TexTools has something like that though it does not support centers and does not calculate in relative units but instead pixel values of the Texture size.
    transform_floater.gif
    It measures basically the bounding box of your selection to one of the bounding edges of the texture, like this:
    texTools_ani_transform_basic.gif

but all the stuff in that selection transform toolbar is useful for aligning and layouting your stuff in the UV area.
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    Talon Thanks! :) Got it running with your help.

renderhjs Question: can i do that also for a lot of shells at the same time? So that i select all shells and they are aligned the the exact same uv space?
  • renderhjs
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    yes/no,
    if you position them absolutely always as relative selection. But you can align all the shells up with the Align buttons like:
    texTools_ani_transform_align.gif
    and that might get you to the same destination of what you want. Because once aligned to an axis or 2 you can set the position of the selection or your multiple shells.
  • SimonT
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    That's my workflow for mapping edges like this to a horizontal tiled texture:
    1. I select the edge faces
    2. I flatten map them
    3. I use my script to align them
    4. Done :)
    pic-tutorial-alignUvs.jpg