Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ZBrush 4 beta images

A little over 3 months ago I was offered the amazing opportunity to take part in the beta program for Pixologics ZBrush 4. Working alongside some ridiculously talented artists I've picked up a ton of new tricks and techniques that have allowed me to visualize, create, and complete a host of new characters in signifigantly less time than it ever took before. And I even managed to finsh and improve some older works. There's a couple bits that I need to go back and clean up but I hope you guys like 'em:

So, He ain't my Brother but he sure is Heavy, This isn't actually new since I had it up in waywo, but for Henry himself it was all standard zb workflow, I did use spotlight to add the logo on his arm. And just as a side, He would look half as good without you guys:\

HenryFinal3.jpg
KED_HenryHeadFinal.jpg
1850HeavyWip13.jpg

His Gatling gun I made entirely in ZB4 using standard shapes and shadowbox:
KED_GatlingFinal.jpg
HenryGatlingFinal1.jpg

Cosmosis Jones I've finally finished. If anybody remembers from the 09 waywo he got put aside for other projects, well except for his head and backpack he's been entirely redone inside zb4, in about a week:
KED_JonesHead.jpg
KED_JonesHeadTurns.jpg
JonesTurns.jpg

the Vampire Frogmen for Neptune, Because every good retro hero needs some good alien monsters to fight:
FrogFinal.jpg
KED_FrogFinal.jpg

And some new sss renders of my Karloff bust:
KarloffHead.jpg
FrankFinal.jpg

I've posted these and more in my portfolio as well, and any feedback or crits would be greatly appreciated.

cheers:)

Replies

• Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Though not as familiar with Zbrush as I would like, I think I'm most impressed by the hard surface work here, particularly the minigun. It seems like modeling mechanical objects is getting more and more accessible with every iteration of the program.

I think the Vampire frogman is the weakest piece out of the lineup, the texturing work seems muddied and undefined, and it's making the otherwise decent model appear blobbish and puttylike.

Everything else is fantastic, particularly the two top characters and their turnarounds.

Fantastic stuff!
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That minigun looks like it holds 50 bullets. Sorta weak

Models look good otherwise to me.
  • Av7xrocker97
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's not really a minigun, it's more like a cartoonish chaingun from the late 1800's
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz: Yeah, Hardsurface sculpting is just getting easier and easier and some of the stuff in the official beta thread is just mind-boggling. I'll post a regular render of the frogman when I get home, I think a lot of the muddiness may be from the render setup I used, thanks :)

n88tr and Av7xrocker97: I'm calling it a Gatling Gun, so there;) The ammo drum(s) isn't really set-up to be functional; I found a lot orf reference but they all seemed to be belt-fed from an ammo box which doesn't really work with the rotary firing handle unless it's stationary (to me an over-the-shoulder ammo belt like the real heavy felt out of character), or a gravity-fed magazine plugged into the top which I just plumb don't like.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a straight screengrab of the Frogman, spotlight/polypaint texture, and straight sculpt:

FrogTurn.jpg