Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Yet another fantasy house/hand painting practice

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
snow polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys,

Here's my first blockout/partly cleaned up fantasy house. I want to keep this as low poly as possible and focus on learning how to create good, readable stylized textures.

I'm using the concept below as a guideline for the theme for this house, I like the quirky features present, however I don't want it as realistic as in the concept (i.e. gutters and slats holding the roof up), I want it a bit more wonky, but not too over the top. The giant tree branch thing featured in the concept will be added in later.

Please any crits regarding forms/silhouette and any features/objects you think I could add to this house to give it some more character like that found in the concept.

I'd like to add this to my first entry level portfolio. I'll keep updating this as I move along.

Concept:
moonsurrealhousedarkgir.jpg

Low poly:
fantasyhousewip01.jpg

Thanks for looking, take care.

Replies

• Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im kinda researching stuff for handpainting practice so im totally keeping a watch on this thread. Cant wait to see what you cook up ;)
  • samgriffiths
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lowest roof on the porch is different from the concept, keep going :thumbup:
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i would say that nothing really matche sthe quirky oddness of the concept...looks like you need to build it from the veiewpoint in the concept
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    What shep said. For this type of piece, I like to set a camera up to recreate the angle and perspective of the concept. Once you've matched the silhouette, it's left to filling in the blanks. Great concept though.
  • MatthewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea agreed. You are lacking some of the things that make the concept irregular.

For instance your steps are all uniformly curving where as the concept has a couple straight and then a sharp turn.

Another thing is the shape of the small room is too correct and square in relation to the main building, whereas in the concept its comes out at an angle and has a trapezoidal feel.

A mix of angles seems to be what gives the concept it's quirkyness.

good luck, looking forward to seeing the textures after you get the model finalized.
  • Jon Rush
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tough one! Looks like a good start, just needs a bit more character and exaggeration to the shapes!
  • snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks all for your replies. I'll definitely work towards adding some more character. I'm sure its the concepts perspective thats giving it that weird look you guys are suggesting I work on imitating.

Therefore, given it's not the actual shape of the building instead the perspective, I'm not sure whethere I should model this in or not. Do you guys think I should build that perspective look into my geometry? (I'm struggling to word what I'm thinking here haha).