Home General Discussion

Iceland: Best Country (9th nation with same sex marriage)

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
In a unanimous decision, all 49 parliament members voted to amend the marriage contract to be gender neutral today at noon.

Iceland owns once again. There was already a same sex partnership with all the same rights, but it carried a separate name and was under a separate legal entry in the laws. now all marriage contracts will be gender neutral with Person A and Person B. Iceland joins the ranks of the other 8 countries with same sex marriage:
Belgium
Canada
Iceland
Netherlands
Norway
Portugal
South Africa
Spain
Sweden

Iceland is also the first country to have elected a female president (back in 1980!), and the first country to elect an openly gay (lesbian) and married prime minister who is currently serving. Iceland also has the highest percentage of equality with females in job positions alongside men (it's close to 50/50), but still has a problem with pay equality.

http://visir.is/ein-hjuskaparlog-fyrir-alla/article/2010367989645

(my translation of the article to English)
One Marriage-law for all

Parliament today approved a law on one marriage-law. Regarding an amendments to existing legislation about gay marriage. The same law will therefore apply to both heterosexual as homosexual, which can let them get married together in congregations and stewards. The bill presented by the human rights minister was approved unanimously by 49 votes.

Numerous members explained their votes, saying that most of the major steps were involved. "I say yes with the sun in the heart. I think Iceland and the world be better than yesterday, "said Margaret Tryggvad

Replies

• TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
  • penrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    penrod polycounter lvl 14
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I say we all guess what number the USA will be.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    iceland is also cool because it can make europe stop using airplanes :poly003:
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    ~ Blacking the sky out, Grounding planes, and Supporting Lesbianism?

Sounds like Awesomesauce.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, these are only countries where the legal contract you are entering into is called exactly the same as the others. The UK has something like 'civil partnerships´ and it doesn´t contain all the same rights as straight-only marriage.

Germany has 'lebenspartnershaft' but it´s missing things like mutual adoption of an unrelated child (you can mutually adopt a kid that is biologically one of yours) and no tax breaks like straight marriages. There are many countries with some kind of partnership, but these are the only 9 with the same legal entity for both.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a nice time to be gay then. :)
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    I'm happy for gayslandish people)
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Pedro: your new avatar pwns! =D
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ;D I looked like that yesterday. When the HD went kaput lol
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Iceland is cool

ztS7Y.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL! who thinks they can say it correctly?

aayah feeyatla yo kutl
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a pretty gay thread.

Isnt Iceland bankrupt and sitting below a few feet of ash? This looks like a ploy to convince young rich gay men to visit their country and "stimulate" the economy.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I need a stimulus package.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No but seriously, most of the economic stuff is on the rise. IMF says we are doing better than they predicted, and the ash seems not to have caused much problems either. There is some problems with the housing market (too many people upside down on their houses) but that will hopefully be sorted soon also.

Unemployment is still 2/3 what it is in the US.
  • Disco Stu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah they refuse to pay back the money ^^
    Maybe they triggered the vulcano themselves to get the tourism biz
    rolling!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I need a stimulus package.

I lol'd!

On a related note, something I find very weird here in the UK is that the Civil Partnership is only applicable to same-sex relationships! You can't get one if you're in a heterosexual relationship! That doesn't make any sense...
  • Adam L. Gray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh, Champagne! Have a banana

When did this forum turn into a my country is best thing though? Anyway.. good for you :)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In Arkansas you can marry farm animals.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    no I'm quite sure this is all military stuff and a big promotion gag to promote Eyjafjallajökull's as air defense system

"buy one of icelands brand new Eyjafjallajökulls and no enemy aircraft will enter your airspace ever again.. !! Buy two and your neighboring countries airspace is empty too"
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    didnt you guys just elect a joke party formed by a comedian to be the majority of the capital's local government?
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg wrote: »
    didnt you guys just elect a joke party formed by a comedian to be the majority of the capital's local government?

Yep. Gonna be interesting. I couldn't vote, but all my friends voted for him. To be honest, with how worthless most politicians are, I'm willing to give a comedian a shot.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Disco Stu wrote: »
    Yeah they refuse to pay back the money ^^
    Maybe they triggered the vulcano themselves to get the tourism biz
    rolling!

This is completely untrue. The Icelandic government and people have done nothing but say how they will pay it back. What they refuse to do is pay it back in such a way that the entire country is driven into poverty, which is what the UK and Netherlands tried to do with the initial agreement. Right now a new deal is being worked on between all 3 governments and seems close to completion, at which point it will be payed back.

It's especially ironic that the UK is so upset about it when they had the same problem with Northern Rock and also refused to pay, but there wasn't a bigger country that could bully them into doing it anyway.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I hear that Ben is just acting gay to get the chicks.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Cool, I wonder if enough countries do it, and show that same sex marriages don't 'destroy the fabric of morality', that maybe some of the backwoods morons in this country will stop being able to use that retarded argument.
  • Marine
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Iceland is the joke party, they just elected a punchline!

cool shit guys, congrats. Hopefully america will at least sort out some kind of nationwide, gender neutral civil union system someday soon.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I thought splitting rent and going halfsies on the cable/internet bill was civil union in the US?
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Lamont wrote: »
    I thought splitting rent and going halfsies on the cable/internet bill was civil union in the US?

Almost! Add in the tax changes and next of kin stuff and we'd be in business.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 13
    Good stuff, glad Norway isn't the only place a gay priest can legally marry a gay couple in a christian church :D
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    SupRore wrote: »
    Almost! Add in the tax changes and next of kin stuff and we'd be in business.

I know it varies from state to state, but are common-law marriages in the States generally eligible for that kind of stuff? Just curious.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Gratz on iceland for doing this. Its retarded people still think gay people should live under different laws and have to be treated as a different group with different rules.

*thumbs up for that silly little country*

(now giev our monies back!!!) :p
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    The actual words they use in the marriage laws/contracts are surprisingly archaic. We are long past due for updates in at least the first world countries of the world. Gay or straight.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Unemployment is still 2/3 what it is in the US.

That's because Iceland's population is like 1/60th of the United States...
    If we had less people, we'd hardly have any unemployment. (go go population control!)

Hopefully the US will come to it's senses and fully legalize same sex marriage though. In a land of the "free", you would think people could do as they wish.
  • MattQ86
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago wrote: »
    That's because Iceland's population is like 1/60th of the United States...
    If we had less people, we'd hardly have any unemployment. (go go population control!)

Hopefully the US will come to it's senses and fully legalize same sex marriage though. In a land of the "free", you would think people could do as they wish.

Lol, someone doesn't know how statistics work. It's a percentage of the total population, which makes it appropriate to compare. If it were raw numbers, with only 1/1000 the population total, Iceland would have like 1/5,000,000 the unemployment of the US, since there are more unemployed in each state than there are people total in Iceland.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There's way too many things that effect unemployment, local economy, world economy, what types of jobs are in iceland, wealth fare system, over/underpopulation, the people's mindset, any major issues effecting the country. And I'm sure the volcano created a lot of government and private clean up jobs.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    let's not devolve into one of those "my country's better than yore country, nanny nanny poo poo" threads.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vassago: its more like 1/1000th. Fun fact, Iceland has roughly the same population as Minneapolis, the 47th largest city in the US.

Which puts into perspective any laws that they pass, its equivalent to passing a *city ordinance* in a lot of us cities.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    There's way too many things that effect unemployment, local economy, world economy, what types of jobs are in iceland, wealth fare system, over/underpopulation, the people's mindset, any major issues effecting the country. And I'm sure the volcano created a lot of government and private clean up jobs.

No, the volcano did not create a lot of jobs. Very little cleanup was needed, and lots of volunteers went for most of it. Now there is a lake of water in the crater, and if that leaks out, it will potentially flood a town that would need some rebuilding, but that hasn't happened yet.

Someone mentioned financial problems, and I was trying to give a yard stick that most people could relate to. Unemployment using U-6 is below 10% whereas using the same method in the US (which is the method the majority of the world uses) is over 15%. So whatever that means to you, Iceland is having a hard time, but it's not a mad max meltdown.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just out of curiosity, because i think this would be a bit more relevant comparison, do you have any idea what the unemployment figures were, say around 2007, and where they are today?

For instance the official numbers here say we went from 4.6% in 2007, to 9.5% where we currently are, so a little less than double.

Oh here i found it myself, 2007 iceland unemployment was 1.3%, currently it is 8.2%. Not only is that nowhere near 1/3rd of US unemployment, but that is a HUGE jump. In any relative comparison, iceland lost a fuck-ton more jobs than the US.

http://www.indexmundi.com/iceland/unemployment_rate.html

http://www.indexmundi.com/united_states/unemployment_rate.html

Edit: Do you have more info on this U6 stuff? I'm having trouble actually finding this rate for iceland.

2007 the U6 unemployment rate in the US was about 8.5, today its about 16.5, again the increase is about double, which is consistent with the "regular" unemployment rate. Even in the 90's when we had a supposedly VERY GOOD economy, our u6 rate was 8-10, so its not like we're seeing a 400% increase here, which is the case in Iceland in the only data i can find.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like I said, 8.2% is using U-6 for Iceland. The 9.5% of the US is using U-3. The US does publish U-6 info, in the back page of it's reports. Remember the US, using U3, stops counting people when their unemployment runs out, when they stop looking for jobs (out of not finding anything for long enough period) and other actually unemployed people that we don't stop counting in Iceland (or Germany or Canada, etc).

Here: it's at 16.6% in the US right now using U-6: http://portalseven.com/employment/unemployment_rate_u6.jsp

Keep in mind this does NOT count imprisoned people, and with the US having 750 per 100,000 people in jail, vs Iceland's 45 per 100k, that skews it a lot as well.

Just to boil it down, 8.2 even less than 2/3 than 16.6, it's actually half.

So using percentage of population, Iceland has half the unemployed percentage of the US, and those people who are unemployed here have access to unemployment benefits that do not run out, housing, and healthcare, all things the unemployed in the US do not.

I mean, if your point is that our financial crisis was worse IN RELATION to our standing in 2007, sure, I agree, but overall suffering and people who are jobless and with no support, is still very much lower in the US, by a factor of 2 or more. So if you're trying to figure out if Iceland is a financial wasteland of starving zombies, here is the metric to gauge our crisis vs the US. It's bad compared to 2007, but still less than half what the US is facing.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so unemployment has still risen over 400% in iceland in the last year or so, a much bigger increase than in the US. You dont have any information contrary to this correct?

Its useless to discuss this in anything but relative terms, the US has a much more diverse and complex labor market, being that it literally has 100 times the population. You can make an argument that pre-2007 the us was in pretty bad shape, but if you look at the numbers, back in the mid-90s when we were doing pretty good, unemployment wasn't much different. So, the argument doesnt hold much water.

For fun lets take another very small sample, Minneapolis, being roughly the same size as iceland.
    2007 U6: 9%
    2010 U6: 13.5%

Iceland U6
    2007 U6: 1.3%
    2010:U6: 8.6%

It would be foolish to say Iceland has had anything other than a colossus failure in its economic system, and massive rises in unemployment, compared to ANY country or region in the world.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to pick out arbitrary stats to make the hideous statistic of 2x the unemployment seem un-noteworthy, you could always also take in mind the sheer size difference means that we have only 25,600 unemployed people, all with access to food, housing, and healthcare, vs the US's 53.1 MILLION people who are unemployed and with weak to non-existent social systems while being so.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's so weird that a nation the size of a middle sized US city can still take care of it's poor, provide gender equality, and GLBT rights, when the US as a massive nation with huge amounts of capital, can't seem to do so, and on the same metrics, is failing at 2x the rate.

So odd, it's almost like comparing in size doesn't matter and really shows where the priority differences lie.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The point i am making is that Iceland is far from the mystical utopian society you like to paint it as, and the US is far from the post-apocalyptic wasteland you paint it as.

Iceland and the US both have SERIOUS problems. I think its pretty safe to say that the size of country the US is, and the massive amount of diversity make our problems much harder to deal with. I'm not saying we dont have problems, or that our problems aren't terrible, its just foolish to say "be like iceland, flip the switch and turn ur country into the greatest".
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EarthQuake wrote: »

Iceland and the US both have SERIOUS problems. I think its pretty safe to say that the size of country the US is, and the massive amount of diversity make our problems much harder to deal with. I'm not saying we dont have problems, or that our problems aren't terrible, its just foolish to say "be like iceland, flip the switch and turn ur country into the greatest".

No one was saying that. Someone opined that Iceland might be having a financial apocalypse. That is not the case. It is bad "for us" but we already started very well off, and even our big dip doesn't put us near as bad in percentage as the US (for unemployment). So if you're American, and that's the system you know, we're half the unemployment using the same statistics.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look, you want to ignore the fact that your unemployment has risen over 400%, we want to ignore the fact that its been sort of crappy here for a long time. Again, both countries have serious issues.