Home General Discussion

Blizzard thinks DRM hurts more than helps in the long run

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Cyrael polycounter lvl 10
http://www.gossipgamers.com/blizzard-calls-drm-a-losing-battle/

I'm glad a huge company like blizzard feels this way, because honestly DRM deters me from buying games more than anything else.. Stop concentrating on designing a way for people not to steal your game and concentrate on making a game worth paying for.

Replies

• 00Zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol. easy for blizzard. their "DRM" = give them your credit card and let them charge you every month.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    Steam proves this theory every day. That said pirates stole The Humble Indie Bundle instead of paying, say, a penny proving that these people are just thieves who don't want to admit it.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still like how they they think piracy is so much worse on pc simply because they can see all the torrents when there's dozens of stores in vancouver alone that carry loads of copyed console games that have just be burned to a dvdr, and they'll even charge you $100 to fix yiour console while your there:)
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    not really sure how they can say this when you have to log in and authenticate with their server to play at all... how is that not DRM?
  • ZacD
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still like how they they think piracy is so much worse on pc simply because they can see all the torrents when there's dozens of stores in vancouver alone that carry loads of copyed console games that have just be burned to a dvdr, and they'll even charge you $100 to fix yiour console while your there:)

wow scudz.. thats crazy I've never encountered this but if I did I would surely be pissed that I just bought a copied version of a game.
    Ferg wrote:
    not really sure how they can say this when you have to log in and authenticate with their server to play at all... how is that not DRM?

I see your point, but at the same time you log in to play massively multiplayer online games, you don't have to be connected to the internet when you're playing a single player game. (yea I'm looking at you AC2)

haha my bad zacd, you beat me to it.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    As much as I dont mind blizzards battlenet, how is it not drm?, this is pr material to score highfive points with the anti-drm crowd.
  • Cyrael
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld wrote: »
    As much as I dont mind blizzards battlenet, how is it not drm?, this is pr material to score highfive points with the anti-drm crowd.

:)

haha and they got me
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    yeah i wont be surprised if you have to be logged into bnet every now and then much like steam to play SC2
  • danshewan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danshewan polycounter lvl 8
    Autocon wrote: »
    yeah i wont be surprised if you have to be logged into bnet every now and then much like steam to play SC2

I thought that was the case anyway?
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Autocon, Isn't it already like that? You have to login to get to the lobby. There you can choose between single and multi except single is grayed out right now.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Oh yeah it is lol. I haven't picked up the beta in a long time and totally forgot. Well then that kinda sucks. I like the steam route more of letting you play offline for a while and having to log in to authenticate every few days.

With a shitty internet provider like comcast I wouldn't be surprised getting screwed out of playing single play SC2 every now and again.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Blizzard has said multiple times there's a one time online activation, which is pretty normal/expected/no big deal.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I know many people who torrent games that buy all Blizzard and Valve games.

Those games are a service, and the purchase of the game is simply a one time fee for an ongoing service of a game that will continually grow update, and upgrade.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    ZacD wrote: »
    Blizzard has said multiple times there's a one time online activation, which is pretty normal/expected/no big deal.

the "one time activation" is only for single player, happens one time every time you load the game. I love blizzard but the spin they're trying to put on this is ridiculous.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    I know many people who torrent games that buy all Blizzard and Valve games.

Those games are a service, and the purchase of the game is simply a one time fee for an ongoing service of a game that will continually grow update, and upgrade.

I think this is due to the multiplayer heavy games they are, you cannot pirate the players to your harddrive, and taping on multiplayer like many games do today just doesn't work, every game that wants to avoid piracy has to have multiplayer at the level of blizzard or valve.

and then there's that issue that every game shouldn't just be a heavy online based game :)
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    The stupid Battle.net still is DRM - and is what keeps me from getting interested in SC2 at all.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Atleast battlenet, much like steam, gives you things back for being drm, all the matchmaking, keeping track of stats, friendlists, stability, mod-listing.

ubisofts drm does nothing at all for you.
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    eld wrote: »
    Atleast battlenet, much like steam, gives you things back for being drm, all the matchmaking, keeping track of stats, friendlists, stability, mod-listing.
    Well, the problem for me is: I don't want any of those. I just want to play the singleplayer campaign and I am not creating another useless account to do that...