Home Technical Talk

PathDeform (WSM) deforming my object?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
doeseph polycounter lvl 7
Hello,

I'm trying to use the PathDeform (WSM) modifier in 3ds Max 2010 on a spine like collection of cubes. I want the cubes themselves to be rotated 360 degrees UP a line spline, which is does for the most part, except in the process of rotating it also deforms the cubes themselves. I know I could always do this manually, but I'd really like to understand why this is happening anyway.

Is there a way to use this modifier without haven't the object's deformed in the process?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you tried the Spacing tool?

Also if it's a helix of boxes that you want, like a spiral staircase, then no need for a spline if you use the Array tool.
  • Piflik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Piflik polycounter lvl 12
    Or instead of Spacing Path Constraint + Snapshot...I find this more predictable than Snapshot...

(and no, there is no way to use Path Deform without deforming the Mesh...it is called Path Deform after all ;))
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use a Path Constraint on each box, set it to "follow" so it looks down the spline, and animate the % along path. It won't squash/stretch deform like PathDeformWSM does.

Click your box go > Animation > Position Controllers > Path Constraint then click the path spline. On the motion tab you'll find some helpful parameters like follow and % along path.

EDIT: err yea what piflik said... I should refresh my browser before posting, ha
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Create a spline IK bone chain, orient then parent the boxes to the bones.

This'll give you a neat spine rig with a twist controller.

If this means nothing to you I can do a quick vid to describe it
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And if it's an actual spiral staircase you want, use the Spiral Staircase primitive!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    MightyPea wrote: »
    And if it's an actual spiral staircase you want, use the Spiral Staircase primitive!

instanced rotated or path controlled steps are much better
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Create a spline IK bone chain, orient then parent the boxes to the bones.

This'll give you a neat spine rig with a twist controller.

If this means nothing to you I can do a quick vid to describe it

1) You can apply a "SplineIK Control" modifier to place boxes at each vert of the spline without having to set up a whole spline IK rig. Even if the verts of the spline are in the right places, this introduces another problem.

2) The boxes are aligned to the world not the spline.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    thats why you parent to the bones. the thing about a path contraint is the boxes are inclined to flip as the spline moves through different angles.