Home Technical Talk

Normal Map Banding

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
jocose polycounter lvl 11
So I I have this normal map I baked in xnormal, also tried in modo, and got the same result. It has banding pretty bad, I'm wondering if anyone knows any tips or tricks to remove it.

Here is a link to the normal map (you can see the same banding pattern if you adjust the levels): http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2997790/xnormalNormalMap_normals.tga

Here is the low in game (looks the same in xnormal):

banding.jpg

Here is the high:

highwire.jpg

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seen this before, can't remember the solution though, sorry. Maybe a search will turn up the answer.
  • Eric Chadwick
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually get this problem if I bake onto a plane as my low poly. I think there are just subtle imperfections in the surface of the high poly and its causing a gradient that is so subtle that it can't be captured in a 32bit texture so I am getting color banding.

I have no idea if there is a way to fix it though.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe render out at 2x the size and resize it? I've gotten some funky gradients coming from photoshop at times.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I tried resizing it, its banding so it wont go away in pshop, at least I don't now of any way to remove it.
  • NoChance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are you using to render this? You said in game but it looks like a render from maya or some such.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks the exact same way in Modo's real time opengl shader, xnormals preview renderer, and in Torque3D which is just a straight up direct X 9 game engine (that's what the screen shot is from).

Like I said you can see this in the normal map if you adjust the levels. So its actually in the image. I tried baking the model from xnormal, 3dsmax, and modo and got the same results across the board.

EDIT:

Here are the OBJs i'm using for the xnormal bake in case anyone wants to give it a go: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2997790/bandingIssue.rar
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are the UVs overlapped?
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Hmm i got that when I baked my Skorpion SMG with Xnormal. So I switched back to Max and turned on highest level supersampling, no problems there.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UVs area all unique, interesting idea bout the super sampling might give that a try later on here.

EDIT: Here are the OBJs I am using in case anyone wants to have a look: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2997790/bandingIssue.rar
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I actually tried this in Maya and got the same result. Here is what it looks like when I adjust the levels in photo shop:

frommaya.jpg
    I think it may just be something I can't fix. The baking software might be able to take this into account though but I don't know what I have any control over it...
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    Well, your object is a bit small. You should consider scaling it a bit ( 100x for example ).

Editing the lwoply model .obj I can see strange things coming from that Modo exporter ( like unnormalized normals, for example ( vn 0.0051 1.0000 -0.0040 ), so I bet the data could be a bit malformed.
    If you render a "Wireframe and ray fails", you can also see there are some CW-defined UVs which can be problematic ( curiously the top of the wing is ok ). The UV faces should be defined CCW ( the vertex faces too ).

I think some old versions of Photoshop had problems with the TGA format. Try with other format lilke a .BMP to be sure.

The Photoshop levels destroy completely the normal map normalization, so it's perfectly normal to see strange things for a normal map with a relatively low number of "colors".

You can try also to set the lowpoly normals mode from "use exported normals" to "average vertex normals" and see what happens.

Btw, what xNormal version are you using?
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, wierd, you might want to talk to Aria Chai

He wrote the perl script I used to export the objs from modo: http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=41509

That said, I imported those objs into maya and they looked fine. I re-exported them from there and got the exact same banding issue.

Keep in mind I also get the same banding issues when I bake in Modo where I created the mesh. So the banding doesn't appear to be related to the objs?

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this banding occurring simply because there is shading that can't accurately be captured in a 32bit image, and really, unless its somehow mathematically compensated for, there isn't a way to fix this?

Anyways, here is a bake I did with the NEW objs that I exported out of Maya.

newobj.jpg

You can still see the banding happening there, not as easy to see, just look close, sorry I was in a hurry and just took the first pic where you could see it.

Here are the OBJs I used: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2997790/fromMayaThisTime.rar
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xnormal Version: 3.15.13.40030 x64

I know adjusting the normals messes up the normal map. I don't actually do that when I use the texture. The texture I used that produced the banding was an unmodified texture taken directly from xnormal.

I only did that to show the banding pattern could be seen in the image and it looked exactly the same as it did when it showed up in engine.

I get the exact same banding effect with PNG, BMP, DDS, and assuming all the rest :(
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Update your video drivers.

I rendered it clean out of xsi. no problem. It also renders fine.

Wing.jpg

also, the tessellation on both those things is whack.
  • mLichy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How would video drivers affect it.... that's weird.... I'm interested to see if that fixes it..
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm at home now, so I would have to try the driver thing later, although i'm with mLichy, I don't know how that would affect anything.

While I can't see the banding in your XSI normal map I do see a ton of other artifacts. Are these caused by the jpg compression? Could you upload a bmp so I can check and see if the banding is actually not there, the artifacts are so bad its hard to tell if its actually gone or just covered up.

I am at home now and rendered out another texture on my home computer with a newer version of xnormal. I also have the latest drivers installed on my home machine. The problem is the same.

EDIT: I just saw jogshy bit about baking with "average normals" on, I just did that and the banding still appeared.

banding.jpg
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i cant remember if modo supports it but maya does, try baking to a 16 bit tiff, that should help eliminate the banding, and then later you can just knock it back to 8bit per channel once your ready to save the final format etc. This helped me when i got banding on this barrel i was doing. while your using a 32 bit format that is still only 8 bits a channel so really wont make perfect gradients.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    mLichy wrote: »
    How would video drivers affect it.... that's weird.... I'm interested to see if that fixes it..

Because it's not the normals rendered, it's something else about his computer, or a setting or something that's messed up imo.

Here's a question, have you exported the object, and brought it back into the program? Sometimes the object itself is corrupted and will do weird render stuff.

Have you tried baking a different object and seeing if the same thing happens?

Have you tried using a flat normal map ( or any other normal map you know works) on the object and seeing how it renders?

etc. etc.

The tessellation of that object might be wonky for xnormal or whatever. Anyways, you need to deduce what isn't causing the problem, instead of baking over and over.

oh btw, my normal render shouldn't do that either (Screen shot above). There's nothing wrong with that texture.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tiff16.jpg

Interesting idea, but it didn't work from what I can tell, looks a little worse?
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's nothing wrong with that texture.
    Moof: If you take your texture into photoshop and adjust the levels on it you can see the exact same type of artifacts that are showing in xnormal. So they are indeed present in the image.

Also, to rule out this being the model. I made a new high and low model, in Maya, from scratch, and then baked it in maya and then loaded it up in xnormal.

stillthere.jpg

Banding is still there.

Also, keep in mind, this doesn't show up unless you have a darker texture and a higher specular on your model. Unfortunately that's exactly what this project calls for.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    you know I thought about it a little more, and did some quick tests, and you're just running into the problem that is rendering very gradual tessellation or nearly flat polygonals with a flat normal. If you put noise into the normal, it'll go away. I'm not really sure how to explain this in technical terms, but the renderer doesn't treat flat normals properly if the surface isn't completely flat itself. I don't know if it's because there isn't enough color data or something, but game engines just don't render as well as mental ray and whatnot... well some don't. Different types of engines would treat this differently.

Either way, put noise in the normal, or build a new lowpoly that isn't so similar to the high poly, so the normal map has more, uh.. texture .

*edit*

I looked at it in xnormal instead of marmo and I'm getting different results altogether.
    I'm thinking the bake is just too much like the original object or too close or something.
  • TSM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TSM
    Why are you adjusting your normal map levels in Photoshop? That is probably a very bad idea, especially if you don't re-normalize after a change. If you want to properly deepen your normal map, import into CrazyBump and turn up the intensity -- that software does it correctly.
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    so after testing your files. I thought at first it was just the strange low poly geo but that was only part of the issue. The high and low intersected just a bit so when i used the default bake settings i would get the banding your speak of but its not banding its artifacts from the meshes intersecting. So how did i solve it. I just bumped up the envelope to 3% and the problem went away.
    Just a suggestion though that low poly geo is not good, too many faces for one , and the flow is just strange i recommend building a different low poly one that is more efficient, but just change the envelope when you bake and your problem should go away. At least it did in all my testing.

btw if you set your high poly to a dark blinn and your low poly to pure black and put them on top of each other you will see the exact places its intersecting, and those happen to correspond to the exact place that the errors where occurring and in the exact shape.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah the models im using are total crap, they are just test objects to deal specifically with this issue, nothing more. I'll do another model and retopo it to rule out an intersecting or anything like that.

Your also right im not 100% sure its banding it just looked an awfull lot like it to me, sorry if I was wrong on that.

EDIT: I tried making another model and retopoed it, and also made sure there was no intersecting, and I got the same issue. Could you post your texture so I could make sure its not something wierd on my end.
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.mediafire.com/?tmgbzkvaebj
    here you go, works fine for me, on this side. its tga so that will eliminate any chance of artifacts from compression.

also might be worth noting i softened all normals, on the low poly.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hijak wrote: »
    The high and low intersected just a bit so when i used the default bake settings i would get the banding your speak of but its not banding its artifacts from the meshes intersecting. So how did i solve it. I just bumped up the envelope to 3% and the problem went away.

^ this
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In max, on the low poly I will go down to element mode and hide all. This gets rid of any problems with the low poly intersecting with the high. If there's still a problem after that then the ray depth is too low or the cage is intersecting.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, I took some time this morning and made another low poly and high poly. The high poly should be pretty clean its just a simple sub-d shape that has some curvature in it to produce the issue.

The Low poly is just a SINGLE POLYGON. It sits below the highpoly a good distance. This should rule out any intersecting issues.

Also, I tested hijacks texture and the artifacts that show up there are identical to the ones I have been seeing, in fact they issue has shown up in EVERY single texture I have received save the one from XSI (from moof) which had massive compression artifacts because it was saved as a jpg.

Keep In Mind: This issue is only apparent if you have a Black texture and a high spec. In Xnormal I do the following to see it:

• Light Intensity 1.27
    • Lock Light To Camera
    • Move the Camera above the curved surface (top of the wing) and then move the angle around a bit.
    • Make sure you have a black texture applied.
    I understand that this issue probably isn't normally an issue, but this is for a model that will be very black, against a blue sky, and will have panning shots done close up of its surface. Meaning this issue WILL show up like this.

I'm really curious if anyone can offer any idea as to what causes this. I have always noticed these types of issues, but usually once the diffuse is applied they go away, but this time I can't get away from it. I'm just going to have to paint it out if it comes down to it, but my technical curiosity really wants to know how to resolve this so I don't have to do that in the future.

banding.jpg

Link to the new files: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2997790/highLowNoIntersection.zip
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xnormal Version: 3.15.13.40030 x64
    Maaaam! That's really old. You really should update xNormal.

If I remember well there were two major bugs in that version:

1. I used a $%%&&&"! adaptative color AA. Try to set the threshold to 0/0/0/0, but if I remember well there was also a bug in the final filtering process that was making all very blurry.

2. I compressed the normal maps to DXT3/5. That was an error because the color quantization can produce banding.

3. There was a bug computing the vertex normals.

So better update to a modern version of xNormal !

Btw, the banding can be caused also by texture compression. Sure it's disabled in your 3D engine/whatever you use to visualize the 3D models ( including the 3D viewer in xNormal via Plugin Manager ).
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I updated xnormal to the latest release build.

I checked and made sure image compression was off on both DX10 & DX9, I tried both of them and the banding persisted.

Also, over the years I have noticed banding in general on all 3D models, it just appears to be a product of using RGB colors with Gouraud Shading

Is banding in real time rendering just an excepted thing, as far as I can tell its everywhere and no one seams to really care about it, but it seams like its being amplified when its baked into my normal map for some reason.

Here are some examples of what I mean:

xnormalbanding.jpg

nonormalmap.jpg
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The xNormal's 3D viewer uses true per-pixel Phong shading if you use a normal map, not Goreaud shading really.

With DX9 is possible that your SM2.0 graphics card could expose partial FP precision, but with DX10 full 32bits FP precision is required for a WQHL driver.
    Btw... have you enabled the Gamma Correction for the DX10 graphics driver in xNormal? Play with that option, it might solve the problem.

The TGA format can use only 8 bits per channel. Perhaps if you use a 16bits TIFF or OpenEXR the banding could dissapear.

Btw, do you use a 24/32 bits of color video mode or a 16 bits one? Do you use a Mac laptop?
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I get these same results on any of the three computers I use. All are running 32bit color. One is a laptop running an 8800 gtx mobile GPU the others are i7 machines running a gtx 285.

I tried messing around the dx10 gamma correction, it didn't change anything.

Keep in mind, that the banding I see in the normal maps is the exact same pattern I see when I adjust the level photoshop (which I only do to easily see the banding, I don't ever apply that adjustment).

As far as I know any computer I have ever used has banding that shows up on any type of realtime lighting. Its usually so subtle that no one ever notices.

However, in this case the banding gets transferred into the normal map and really stands out.

This exact same pattern occurs in every normal map I have seen, all bakers including,

Modo, Maya, 3DSmax, & XSI produce the exact same banding pattern, xnormal to.

It doesn't appear to be a problem specific to my machine, or any one piece of software. You should be able to re-produce it on your end if you load up the files I provided, apply a completely black texture, and turn up the light intensity in xnormal.

I guess the point I'm trying to convey is that this issue appears to be a universal/acceptable limitations of baking normal maps, or is unknown and hardly ever noticed since it only shows up under certain circumstances.

I'm just trying to figure out which of the two it is, and if there is anything I can do to deal with it.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I guess if you've only got a tiny surface deviation between your low poly and high poly models, then it can only represent that as a very limited range...?
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know, now that I actually sat down and think about it your exactly right Mop.

You have a limited number of colors you can use in an RGB image.

I'm trying to store a really subtle changes using that limited number of colors, and there simply are not enough of them to accurately describe the curvature.

Hence, I am getting banding: the renderer does its best to cram all the information into the limited range but it gets piled up like train wrecks into bands rather than a seamless smooth transition.

Also Moof, to your credit I think you also pointed out the exact same thing, I just wasn't able to wrap my head around it at that point in time I don't think.

So now my question is: Is there anything that I can do about it?

I came up with the following:
    • I could just paint it out of the normal map, but that's time consuming and might not be an option if I have other details on the surface that make that difficult.
    • I'm also wondering if there is some mathematical way the baker could account for this and just skip surfaces with changes this subtle.
    • Is this perhaps why almost every surface in unreal 3 has a noisy normal detail map assigned to it?, I'm wondering if it helps hide banding...
    If anyone has any advice, or has dealt with this type of thing before I would love to hear it. I'm just trying to understand how this issue is tackled. Is it just ignored, do people paint this out, is it something no one has ever noticed?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With this smooth of a surface, you don't really need a normal map. Just add a few more vertices if needed, and adjust the vertex normals if needed.
  • hijak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose wrote: »
    Okay, I took some time this morning and made another low poly and high poly. The high poly should be pretty clean its just a simple sub-d shape that has some curvature in it to produce the issue.

The Low poly is just a SINGLE POLYGON. It sits below the highpoly a good distance. This should rule out any intersecting issues.

Also, I tested hijacks texture and the artifacts that show up there are identical to the ones I have been seeing, in fact they issue has shown up in EVERY single texture I have received save the one from XSI (from moof) which had massive compression artifacts because it was saved as a jpg.

Keep In Mind: This issue is only apparent if you have a Black texture and a high spec. In Xnormal I do the following to see it:

i must have sent the wrong file, because i garuntee that the bake did with the expanded envelope had no artifacts at all whatsoever, even ran it on a black blinn, high spec etc etc. I keep getting the feeling there is something up with your hardware, or software versions, because i was only able to recreate teh problem with intesecting geometry, after adjusting envelope problem was gone, even tried checking levels in photoshop to see if it would come back up and nope.
    oh and as a side note you will never ever see that once you have a diffuse and spec texture on it, little normal map errors are ussually not noticeable it he fianl product.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric: There is going to be lots of seams and other details in this surface, so it needs a normal map. Its going to have smooth areas in between the seams and this banding will show up there.

I could just delete the parts of the high poly that are so similar to the low poly but it just seams so messy having to deal with it that way.

But I do see your point, really normal maps are to denote more drastic difference in surface curvature than I am trying to use them for here. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if there are any work flow things I can do to eliminate this problem whole sale or if I'm gonna have to deal with it on a case by case basis.

Hijack: You might not have adjusted the levels correctly. Here is a pic of your image in photoshop:

leveladjustment.jpg

Also I know that these errors hardly every show up but this model will be black plastic (has a high spec) and has no other texture. So its pretty much a worse case scenario for something like this showing up, and not using a normal map for it is out since I need to bake lots of floating geometry into the surface to denote seams, ports, screws, and other stuff in the surface.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    i noticed you mentioned rendering to jpeg -- all the artifacting you are getting could (and probably is) being caused by image compression. targa and tiff ftw :)
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey r4ptur3, thanks for the reply,

Im using TARGA for everything, no compression at all. Moof uploaded an image from xsi that was a jpg, and yeah it had issues.

I think we already established this is a banding issue caused by the limited RGB range not being accurate enough to capture the very subtle difference between my high and low poly model.

My big question now is, is there any way to work around this?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flood-fill with neutral blue, and blur the edges where needed.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    I think eric is right. You're probably gonna have to manually paint out the areas of banding.

It's either that, or change up either the lowpoly or high poly.

Just for reference, when I do really lightly detailed normal maps for objects like this, I just unwrapped the lowpoly, and using the uvs I put high poly detail bits (like bolts and seams and stuff) on top of a polyplane with the uvs as a texture on it on it, and just baked that when I got it all laid out.

imagine if you will, your texture with the uv coords under all that stuff.
    uvhighpoly.jpg

that's one way to avoid some issues with stuff like this. You can always do a blend of all sorts of techniques to get what you need, and that can include just going in and manually painting out stuff.
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, that sounds like a pretty reasonable conclusion to all of this. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything and that what I was seeing was indeed banding.

I think now I understand:
    • Why the banding is occurring,
    • That there is nothing I can do about it directly
    • The only way around it is to modify my work flow a bit or paint it out.
    I really appreciate everyones help with this, understanding these issues from all angles is really helpful to me, maybe it helped someone else to.

EDIT: The one thing I am wondering though is how this sort of thing is handled in non-realtime renders like those for film. They seam to have ways of working around this issue.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocose wrote: »
    EDIT: The one thing I am wondering though is how this sort of thing is handled in non-realtime renders like those for film. They seam to have ways of working around this issue.

AFAIK they use higher bit depth textures when needed, like 16bpc displacement maps instead of 8pc (256 grays). They're not as concerned about memory as we are!
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone, I just wanted to mention that I was able to hide this issue to a good extent by adding noise to my specular map. It wont work very every model but man it hid it on this one pretty good.
  • Harry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harry polycounter lvl 13
    it looks to me like you allowed the working model to be traced but idk
  • jocose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its pretty well established what was going on and that this isn't an issue 99% of the time. I just had a special circumstance that made it really difficult for me to avoid this showing up. I just wanted to post and let people know that adding noise helped quite abit in case anyone else ran into this.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I just noticed this problem is pretty evident in mass effect 2. The cerberous armour has this banding showing pretty clearly across the visor. Guess Bioware didnt find a fix :)
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    perna i dont understand how you wouldnt get banding in your map if you push the levels that far, are you rendering in 32 bit ;-p

ive had these since day one normal mapping, thats why all the vehicles that are really shiney and flat surfaced dont use normal mapping from high to low...IME

there is a limit to the fidelity in the tangent offset...and if you have alot of polys in your low, its often worse to have a normal map as your stretching a few values across a large space ontop of speed and dds artefacts its another reason to not use normal maps at certain times
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Plus you can turn on render dithering, in Max at least, which helps hide any banding.
    http://kdc.ethernia.net/wp-content/uploads/tut2.jpg