Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Conan, what is best in life?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
Kurt Busiek and Cary Nord lured me in when they launched a retelling of Robert E. Howards Conan stories in Darkhorse comics. Then they left for a while, others tried to continue it and it just wasn't the same, so I checked out the original REH novels.... I've reread everything he wrote 2 or 3 times now.

So I'm going to have a bash at Conan stuff for a while. Theres a number of scenes from stories like Black Colossus, Queen of the Black Coast, The hour of the Dragon (best Conan story written), The Elephant tower and many others that I fancy having a crack at.

I'll just be pottering about with WIP images for a while, just roughing things out and seeing what grabs me as I work toward creating a mysterious ancient environment, Conan himself, some babe to appear needful of rescue while looking hot and a big ugly , seemingly impossible to beat monster for Conan to break into little pieces along with the environment while caught up in his desctructive mating dance!

If there are Conan fans reading and you ever had an idea for him, for anything relating to him, or you saw a cool piece of Conan art or a stunning location to use as reference for a story you read, let me know, post me a link.

I'm mostly interested in REH's stuff, but anything will do.

Anyway, just a first 3d doodle, I guess I was thinking a little about those huge crypt pillars in spooky ruins that Conan invariably stumbles into while simply looking for some ale and meat, maybe a little sleep, oh wait theres some undead horror from the pit in the corner... etc

Conan_WIP1.jpg

What is best in life? Well, Conan of course :)

Replies

• nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    Cool idea Kevin. Its always great seeing your finished pieces for gears and stuff, but it will be awesome actually watching as you work your way through a scene. Here is a link to a unofficial gallery of Frazetta's conan paintings, they are pretty good size as well so it might be of some use.

http://frankfrazetta.org/conan0001.php
  • ALPHAwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ALPHAwolf polycounter lvl 18
    To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women...?

sounds like a plan..ROR
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Kevin,

Nice to see you have finally have some downtime to work on some personal stuff. Looking forward to what you come up with!

Cheers!

-Tyler
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woa personal stuff? Nice! I like the composition it sits well as its own piece, almost like a elaborate backdrop for a model. It also looks like you could expand on it pretty easily. It will be cool to see where you take it.

Great subject material too. I also couldn't keep reading after Busiek left but I kept picking it up, I have about 15-20 issues I haven't read. I haven't thought about giving the old stuff a read, I'll have to check it out. I reread Cerebus not that long ago and by the end I wished for a few more books like the first.

Conan the Barbarian had some cool castle sets from what I remember, haven't watching in a while though but I remember a great set of stairs. I'll try and drop it in and see if there is anything worth noting. Aside from that, its going to be hard to find much env ref other then the latest comics, most of the art is hulking mass standing on a pile of bodies and or frozen rocks, or in a non discript cave/underground temple.

I remember one issue in the current dark horse series (I think it was toward the start) where he sneaks into a pallace looking for a box... I remember being mildly impressed by the background art. I'll hunt around for it too.
  • kite212
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    kevin's personal work! im am very excited to see your work flow and final result, a conan piece is going to be wonderful. nrek's link is defiantly worth a look, best of luck!
  • achmedthesnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    achmedthesnake polycounter lvl 17
    hhaaa the lamentaiton of thier wimen - stop whining and get to the chopper -

awesome kevin - i'm a huge fan of Robert e. howard's stuff , i'd love to see the blind space astral travelling elephant god - lol (such a pitty that he snuffed himself at 30, but i think that depression and outlook gave such vibrance and creativity in his works).

you should look at the 'age of conan_hyborian adventures' novels, which revolve around different characters in the smae universe, kinda interesting getting more background in the universe howard created.

i agree with the re-invisioning of the stories, since busiek and nord left , i'm no longer as keen to buy the separate issues, but i'll save up later when the're in the full graphic novel...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Can we see it without the orange outline and some wires rendered with it? (3D doodles are always fun to see their wires).
  • fast1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm i agree, good point there.clear.gif
  • scourgewarper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Was tragic he killed himself so young, the amount of work he produced up to that point was amazing. If you watch the extras on conan the barbarian special edition theres a lot of interesting stuff, REH was pretty much regarded as the local nutcase and wrote a lot of his work thinking conan was standing behind him in the dark waiting to cleave him in two.

That's a good remedy for procrastination in my book :)
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    AHHH nice, Finaly Im glad you manage to start this!!!

Cant wait to see how it turns out, If u need a CONAN or something... :)

ben
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    i'd love to see the blind space astral travelling elephant god - lol
    Yes.

This thread needs more Yag Kosha.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Conan_zenobia01.jpg

So I got back to my Conan stuff. I'm roughing in a scene from The Hour of the Dragon ( the best Conan story told imo) where king Conan's future wife Zenobia helps him escape Xaltotun's dungeon.

It'll be sort of Shemitish with a bit of Set engravings also as Xaltotun is from Acheron and they were Set worshippers in the past like Thoth Amon was later in Conan's time. I've always figured the Shemite folk were persians.

I'm aiming toward pushing more bold open warm stone work with intricate ornate props and pushing the interest and opulence in through that side of things more than the walls.

My plans may all change though, currently prepping main forms for Zbrush and ref gathering for the other props i want to throw in there.
  • nrek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nrek polycounter lvl 14
    CoOoOoOoOol, glad to see you coming back to this. I really like the slight bulge in the window irons, but at the same time the whole shape makes me think of an entrance to a sewer more than a window. A nice over-sized capstone at the top might be kinda cool to break up the plain circular shape and give it a x-mas ornament/acorn type shape. Just a thought. I eagerly await some zbrush goodness.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should probably mention that I'm basing this off an illustration by Gary Gianni. My favorite of the Conan artists is probably Mark Schultz but I really liked this particular scene by Giann1.

ZenobiaRef.jpg

As far as the neat ideas about how to break up the plain forms, I'm trying very hard not to do that, because I always do stuff like that and I want to try to be more restrained than normal.
  • mickyg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mickyg polycounter lvl 7
    It's always bugged me that the artists that draw Conan never seem to draw him the way I picture when I read the novels.

They always seem to make him over-muscled, like a bodybuilder. I get that he had muscles on top of muscle, but he is also described as moving gracefully, like a panther. If anyone has seen the average bodybuilder walk you would know that these guys don't move particularly gracefully. To me that indicates he should be leaner than he is portrayed. Still muscly, but lean muscle.

Anyway, I'm rambling off topic. Great start Kevin, I bet this will turn into something worth keeping an eye on.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Nice Kevin. Glad to see this come back from the depths. Will be nice to see your zbrush passes when you get to them.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    mickyg,, totaly disagree, brock lesnar wrestler / mma fighter brock-lesnar.jpg

is a mountain of muscle, and also extremely fast and agile a shooting star press
    is not an easy move for someone the size of him. (considering he's botched it once
    and broke his neck)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r32kaZifKHA[/ame]

lesnar built his muscle not only by roids an pumpin iron, but also a lot of cardio and running and stuff.
  • The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am a little upset you didnt say Frank Frazetta but I am sure whatever you are making is going to be amazing
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Rhinokey: the difference here is "what is expected" and "what is seen".
    From seeing the image of the guy you posted, I imagine him behaving much as a bodybuilder. That's because of my pre-concieved ideas on how such people move. Having a leaner, slimmer Conan would not stir up the same ideas on how he moves, just because one expects leaner "gymnast"-type guys to be more agile.

So how do you want your Conan recieved: a mean, lean killing machine, or as a block of muscle?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You two will no doubt be pleased with the choice of Conan for the new movie then:
    ok-i-like-this-jason-mamoa-2252534-242-322.jpg
    He sure wouldn't have been my pick.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    we are totaly derailing poor kevs thread,, he needs to post more sweets to get us back on track!

i know at one point HHH from wwe was in talks for the conan role, while i think he would make a good conan in look, i'm not sure of his acting abilitys only seeing him in small parts with poor writing and directing.

no i dont like skinny McRasta as conan.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Vig, you're probably thinking of Thulsa Doom's temple from the first movie. The set design in Millius' Conan was great, definitely good stuff to pull from.

And there is only one Conan for the silver screen...

conan.jpg
  • EbolaV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EbolaV keyframe
    awesome Kevin that you continue with it. Hope you have the time to finish it :)
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wha wha what?! Milius pissed from a great height upon Conan at every chance he got, didnt read the sources, years later still expressed complete disinterest. He wanted to make Conan about himself, took all the dark fantasy out of the thing and turned him into a cheerful pyschotic moron.

What makes Conan cool, for me, is the central philosophy of all the stories as noted at the end of the Beyond the Black River story where one of the woodsmen comments that

"Barbarism is the natural state of mankind. . . . Civilization is unnatural. It is a whim of circumstance. And barbarism must always ultimately triumph."

So I will be ignoring the films as a reference point!

I actually thought Jason Mamoa was a good bit of casting, if you check out his stuff in Stargate Atlantis you will note the Ronin character he plays is very much like Conan and he shows he has the range to do the action, the mirth and the melancholy sides of his nature.

Shame about the director and writer though....
  • DarthNater
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthNater polycounter lvl 10
    Looks awesome so far, I like the looks of those lamps.... I hate when people's 3d doodles are better than my actual finished art.... BASTARDS!
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    yea, not to derail but the movies were kinda lame. dont get me wrong, i love them but after reading the books the movies are so much more campy. its like comparing batman to the 60s tv show. i like cary nords rendition of conan in the graphic novels that run along the storys written by howard.

i dig what you have kevin, and would love to see more. you work is always so inspiring
  • Kessler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kessler polycounter lvl 17
    Just got my hair cut at the barber. Great start Kevin. I am exited to see your end product. if you know what I mean.