Home General Discussion

Content aware tool photoshop - one click does it all

Just saw this video my mate linked me to, it looks pretty crazy for what it is which is essentially a one click tool.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH0aEp1oDOI[/ame]

Replies

• Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool but the final example doesn't make sense to me. I don't see any birds in the image prior but there's one in the top left smart filled area. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what he had before that...
  • Rox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rox
    Kovac wrote: »
    Looks cool but the final example doesn't make sense to me. I don't see any birds in the image prior but there's one in the top left smart filled area. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what he had before that...
    That's the magic wand cursor.

My mind is being blown by all this... junk people are making! First that smart resizing thingy, with the deciding what should be kept in the image, and now this. How the heck does it even work?!
  • LlamaJuice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LlamaJuice polycounter lvl 11
    Next update will entirely remove the need for half of us won't it? :( haha that's rather crazy awesome.
  • t4paN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    WTF, this shouldn't be possible. It irks me they don't show the image without the selection thingy after the C-A fill, so you could see whether the scene really fits together.
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    maybe photoshop just thought a bird would look pretty right there. good catch though, not sure how a bird ended up there if it wasn't in the original.

EDIT: oops... it is the cursor, should probably read the whole thread before giving smart answers
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Kovac wrote: »

Called bull on that one too for other reasons. There's no repetition or evidence of sampling on the sky or mountains. How did the program know those were mountains and to continue making it jagged? In other words why did it extend the horizon line on the left side, but made it rigid on the right?
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    It looks like it just sort of mirrored the shape of the mountain/horizon line silhouette-wise and then used whatever it does to fill in the area...

wait, how does it do that? Wizardry? alien technology? some sort of voodoo?

edit: wait, no, it's a bit more complex than just mirroring and the left side is more of a smooth form. The people at Adobe are sorcerers, confirmed.
  • Kovac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kovac polycounter lvl 18
    Haha Rox totally called that one... definitely the cursor.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    this is way cooler than content aware scale.
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    Photoshop is becoming self aware?!
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Adobe made a make art button. Cool!
  • carlo_c
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Photoshop begins to learn at a geometric rate until on August 29, 2010, Photoshop became self-aware

lol but seriously, if it works as advertised I can see it becoming such a huge time saver in the long run it's crazy. I hope it's not an early april fools :P
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    There have been videos of this tech in various forms for years, some of which are way more mind blowing that this (not that this isn't totally crazy already). It's awesome to see it's finally coming out!
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I thought it was an April Fools leak until I saw this video from 09

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFEBamdtdiI[/ame]
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    hmmmm, at beginning i was like sure i can see the artifacts in the healing brush, i beleive, then that end shot..........mmmmmmm..............

edit- just saw that video pseudo- ok maybe.......looks kindof understandable now, im geussing any shape that you completey encompass with the tool, it checks for colour ranges that cross the shape then fills that with a selection that it can find on the rest of the image...... impressive

still unsure about the panorama from the first though
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    get the fuck out! anyone can has photoshop skillz?!?
    > insert facepalm smiley here <
  • Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    too good to be true?!? you mean that when the awesome love machine tool from the gods finishes its progress bar voodooism that it won't look like a patch job of wonderous proportions and blurry smush mush dog slop?!?!?!?!
    egads!@!
    maybe not too awful, but not perfecto
    yeah i'm sorry... just look at the second video at the result @ 3:34...
    for quick starting points, yeah, but final finished result... hell no... a time saver, not a life saver.... oh, that sounds damn tasty..... lifesavers... yummm.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Great... An option box that pops up every time I hit delete. So I also have to hit enter or click it... What a joke, this should be a separate tool or action, not clog up a simple function like delete.

I usually don't prefer automatic solutions because they never work as nicely as in these videos. I guess we will see if they do ever implement it. Seems like a pretty interesting tool though. Should save some time clone stamping. The last example was by far the best.
  • griffinax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Build out the bushes, the foreground, the sky.."
    HAHAHAHAHAHAH! That a genius boy!
    This seems so.. illogical to me? Its one thing to identify the surrounding pixels and make a well calculated guess - which I suppose, couldn't be achieved so accurately with computing - and another to guess the ELEMENTS surrounding other elements.
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    If you look, you can see a section of the outer bit of the photo got copied, mirrored, and scaled outward to fit into the empty space, there are a bunch of repeating elements all around the border, and im sure up close the distortion is noticable, just a nice scale and sampler tool is all.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    griffinax wrote: »
    "Build out the bushes, the foreground, the sky.."
    HAHAHAHAHAHAH! That a genius boy!
    This seems so.. illogical to me? Its one thing to identify the surrounding pixels and make a well calculated guess - which I suppose, couldn't be achieved so accurately with computing - and another to guess the ELEMENTS surrounding other elements.

From what I understand from hearing about tech demos of this (they've been working on this for YEARS) is that it follows obvious lines (like the horizon line, buildings, parts of stuff, etc etc, and tries to figure out what to do from there. It samples the tree line for anything past the above of the hill, and samples the grass for anything on the hill, but all the program is seeing is sections. The deleting on the lens flair seemed really nice and easy.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 18
    Professional photo retouchers can expect to start being replaced by recent high school grads for $8/hour.

But on a brighter note, HOLY CRAP! That's awesome!
  • Progg
  • Flava-Fly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flava-Fly polycounter lvl 9
    Next thing you know there will be some kind of programme that can generate normal maps from your diffuse :o its the rise of the machines :<
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hear they may not release it because if content-aware fill is run on a blank canvas the universe implodes and new one is created.

They teased this last year, it took longer and gave crappier results, I'm glad they are sticking with it.
  • funshark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funshark polycounter lvl 16
    Vig >> ahahahah rock on!

Well, what about the trashy blend brush thingy in cs5? Since it'll be released in a couple of days :D
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    This'd be great if the rest of the app didn't run like refridgerated shit. It needs to be so much snappier than CS4 for me to be interested.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    This looks like a combination of the tech of their existing healing brush, patch tool, and pattern maker plugin.. and maybe a couple more.

You can analyze an image at more than an individual pixel level using a variety of techniques, also seeing as how CS3+ have started using GPU resources they could likely code this as a shader or a CUDA extension to the main program and do things that would bave been computationally prohibitive a matter of a couple years ago.