Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Only Running Footman (wip)

1.jpg?t=1268860103
2.jpg?t=1268860148
3.jpg?t=1268860184
4.jpg?t=1268860195

OK so quick rundown.
This is a building I found in London that I decided to model.
As of right now, I'm finished with the window, and tiles on the roof.
To do list
-door knobs
-second door
-power boxes and cables(?)
-menu "box"'
-lanterns
-signs and flagpole
-brickwork

I have noticed there seems to be an aversion to help new guys, but I could really use a critique.
Thank you for your time

PS. link for reference.
http://www.google.com/maps/place?cid=16823636762798343283&q=the+only+running+footman&hl=en&view=feature&mcsrc=photo&num=20&start=0&ved=0CJgBELUF&sa=X&ei=GxyhS7nfJo3qzATm-9C1Bg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Not a bad start. Your plan for the extra details sounds good.

The proportions look a little strange, though. The door seems far too high and narrow, it looks like you haven't accounted for the distortion from the photo angle when modelling it.

Do you have any front-on shots of the doorway so we can be sure?
  • Nebz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5.jpg?t=1268863637
    I'm a little ashamed I let that go unnoticed.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    Hmm, something with that door, makes it look odd... :p

Nice start though. ;)
  • Nebz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    5c.jpg?t=1268873372
    6.jpg?t=1268873386
    8695858.jpg?t=1268873400

ok, I widened the door a bit, but I think I made the whole thing to thin.
    I have a couple of questions as to what should be modeled, what should be left to normals, and what can be cheated with flats.

1) The brickwork: after staring at this building for a while I realized that the brickwork on the original is very well maintained, so I am debating modeling them in for the normal map or leaving them to the diffuse.
    2) Ironwork above windows: could I get away with flats?
    3)chains, lamp brackets, etc: basically question #2
    continued thanks
    -blue
  • MatthewS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea your proportions are a little off :\... u also seem to have left out that the middle windows on the second story are different than the rest i.e. they are wider. Your window ledge trim is also much less ornate than that of the ref... the small window on the first floor sinks into the wall instead of sticking out of it. The rounded window doesn't come out of the wall at the sides as much as you have it.

as for your questions...

1: depends on you... do you want to model in the brickwork for practice? you could do a zbrush sculpt. It certainly doesn't have to be done and can be done in texture only.

2: for this you could prob do planes with alpha for the lattice and some boxes for the little poles... You could model them in too as it is fairly simple geo. just depends on what you want for poly limits

3. if you can spare the polys then model them for the silhouette otherwise they can prob be textured on...

You should post screens of wires... it might be an illusion but i think i'm seeing stray lines in there.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    good start, one question, what is this model for? what type of game, what type of veiwpoint?
  • Nebz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    w1.jpg?t=1268917185
    w2.jpg?t=1268917202
    w3.jpg?t=1268917223

I have widened the footprint of the building and recessed both the small window and curved front, closer to the original.
    I need the practice with z brush, so I probably will model the bricks, just need to find a tutorial that works well for me.

As for what this is for, I have not really thought about it.
    I'm close to graduating at the AIP, and I found that I much prefer modeling props and buildings as to characters.
    I'm thinking a first person shooter would be best.
  • Nebz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry its been a while. life gets in my way.
    Standing polycount is 3775. Maps sizes are 2048, including chairs and tables.
    Expecting the final vount to be around 6000 when I duplicate the chairs and tables.
    Working on diffuse right now, any suggestions.
    4-1.jpg3-1.jpg2-1.jpg1-1.jpg

Also I obviously need a better render method. Suggestions?