Home Technical Talk

maya scale issues

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
MikeF polycounter lvl 19
Got a stupid question here, just cant seem to figure it out,

I've got a rectangle and i've scaled the top inward to create a triangular shape, now i thought doing this would keep all the faces in line with each other, but for some reason the faces on each end seem to move downwards.

scaleissue.jpg

I've been using maya for 5 years now and i dont think i've ever noticed this happen, i'm very confused here, is this how scale works?!!? feel friggin retarded here....

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's correct, those are the centers for the triangular faces. Is this causing a problem for you?
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks for the link, it all makes sense, but something still isnt rite, because apparently i've been able to avoid this in the past.

I looked through some old files and found the same shape that i had made a long time ago and you can see that the two are identical, yet the face center is at a different location.

ScaleIssue2.jpg

On the left is the old and on the right is one i made just a minute ago.

Its mainly messing with my uv's
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Probably just something to do with how the face is triangulated.
    Select the mesh and set the Polygon Display options to show triangulation. I'm guessing that the face on the left has the triangle edge running in the opposite direction to the face on the right.

Either way, it doesn't matter. Personally I turn off "face centers" anyway, never really understood why you'd need that. It doesn't seem useful to me?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    what's it doing to the UVs?
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    It's not weird at all. Those faces on the sides are taller than the faces that are facing us. The point represents the center of the face, and the faces in your examples are of different height/width.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    Don't worry about it - those are just there for display purposes and have nothing to do with your mesh at all.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    alright, well i've determined its not actually messing with my uv's but it is affecting my envelope for baking inside of maya. Could not for the life of me get a clean bake with the generated envelope because the faces were skewed to match the face centers (i think at least)
    Either way, xnormal did the trick, just wish i could do it all in maya. Oh well 'tis life