Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Appleseed Ex Machina

So I'm doing the combat armors as seen in Appleseed Ex Machina, thought I'd post here for critiques. This is my first go at a proper Sub-D workflow, I used to just go nuts with cutting things up with the intent of smoothing. So it took me a bit of getting used to, not adding things when I normally would and all. There's still a bit of pinching going on around some of the harder angles, but I've jacked around with them enough, and it's not terrible. I can always fix that up in photoshop if need be. (any tips on that would be most welcome, the panels bit, not photoshopping that is.)

Found a ton of nice reference shots of the toys they made, here's what I'm working towards:
Briareos_Deunan_01.jpg
and the WIP shots:
AEX_f_wip_01c.jpg
AEX_f_wip_01a.jpg
AEX_f_wip_02a.jpg
AEX_f_wip_02b.jpg
AEX_f_wip_04a.jpg
AEX_f_wip_04b.jpg

I'll be using thse for assets in Fallout 3 for fun, doing Briareos will be a little tricky on the rigging side. His proportions are much bigger than the skeleton, how feasible would it be to get 'proper' movement if the shoulders and head sat higher than the actual bones? I've never tried anything tricky like that before.

edit: hooray for surprise days off at work! and for whatever reason, my img tags didn't work before, so, fixed now.

Replies

• JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    That is actually looking really nice so far :) If anything I think the forearm pads / armor seem a bit to "sharp" and square, and looking at the reference, although it has nice / hard edges, the flow itself seems really organic, nice and smooth.

Eager for more updates, the back looks great.
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    wow, looks nice!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    great start loved the appleseed movies.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason: Thanks, I see what you mean, I think I'll give them another shot. I wasn't too pleased with how the indents ended up anyhow.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And more of the strappy stuff on the legs:
    AEX_f_wip_06a.jpg
  • j4polaris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j4polaris polycounter lvl 18
    looking fantastic! I can't wait to see Briareos. :)
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, I've hit a couple snags that I haven't seen before. Still searching out google for possible solutions, but I'll post this here while I'm at it.

I seem to have borked up my scene file a bit; Maya 2009, using a .ma file. Yesterday, I had lots of crash issues working on the kneepad. It was kind of random, but moving verts crashed nearly outright. Sometimes, just entering a selection mode would do it. Clean history, by the way.

I tried boxing the mesh, but that didn't help. Then I used the 'Optimize scene size', the thing that caught me off guard was that it removed 24 deformers. (but I don't use this often, so I don't know if that's normal.) I don't remember setting up 24 of them, just a wrap or two to help with the knee and elbow pads, but those were trimmed off the history when I was done with them. This fixed the crashing, but now I'm having trouble entering a selection mode for any mesh in the scene.

I can select the object, but not go directly into face/edge/vert selection, it just stays in object mode. If I click away, sometimes it does go over, but not always. It's also slow to pick objects, and even slower to say, select a face on a model that only has 200 or so. All the objects in my scene have this problem now, but if I create a new cube, it acts just normally.

Any suggestions? I'm likely to just export everything out as an obj and into a new scene, but that's kind of lame.l
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, that was kind of fun, fixed now. The Optimize Scene Size 'fixed' some of my groups, layers and consequently mirroring as well. Not sure how this works exactly, but instanced mirrored pieces had some fun back/forth connections with the real shapes, almost like a loop? (I mirrored a group to keep the transforms, so I'm having trouble visualizing what happened there. didn't originally notice the issue, since I had a display layer for this mirror group and it was hidden.)
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a whole lot of progress, double shifts and aforementioned scene file problems. Avoided the second problem at least. :) I'm a little worried about readability on the leg straps, but maybe that's just the lack of AA in the viewport, not too sure how sharp I should make those edges for the normal map.

AEX_f_wip_07a.jpg
    AEX_f_wip_07w.jpg
  • throttlekitty
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Great stuff, totally digging the progress of this piece!
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, redid the armguard, how's this?

AEX_f_wip_09a.jpg
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Looks rather strange without the buckles right now but I guess that will change when you add them. Looking close to the reference right now.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting back on track now, I spent entirely too long on the breastplate, the shapes on the abs forced me to up the polycount for the overall cage to keep it looking consistent. :/ Still doesn't feel quite right though.

AEX_m_wip_01a.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    it does look good though
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    Getting back on track now, I spent entirely too long on the breastplate, the shapes on the abs forced me to up the polycount for the overall cage to keep it looking consistent. :/ Still doesn't feel quite right though.

I think her abs are a little too high which may be causing the proportions to shift up a little too much.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaburan, er, that's the male side of things in that picture. Since these will be for a Fallout 3 mod, I'm kind of limited as far as proportions go.
    I just realized I never posted the final highpoly shots, so here's those. Been too lazy to get screens of the lowpoly and bakes, I feel compelled to pose the model, but I haven't rigged it yet. 2millionish faces.

AEX_f_wip_10a.jpg
    AEX_f_wip_10b.jpg
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd maybe widen her hips and pull in the shoulders a little if you can. The really broad armour around the shoulders is giving it a confusiungly masculine appearance at the moment.

Some really nice work, though. Looking forward to seeing it all baked out and textured.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Ooops double check your proportions! Way off at the moment ... (easy trap to fall into when working with separated detailled pieces ...)
  • Heart_Murmur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree, the upper torso is huge compared to the lower, making it seem masculine. I'd recommend in future projects to block out the proportions before going into detail, it is easier to correct/saves a lot of time when you find out you have a proportion issue.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior, y'know I reminded myself of that... when I was just about done. :) Thanks guys, I'll try shortening up the upper torso and bringing it in somewhat. Like I mentioned, I'm mostly constrained to the Fallout 3 body/skeleton; which already has some proportional issues. Bad me for using it as a template, but I don't think I have much choice in that aspect.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After a period of great illness(es), followed by general lethargy, I'm back to work on this again. Feeling a little rusty, I thought I should start on one of the guns rather than Bri's body. I've collected some fairly good reference shots of the rifle, but really struggled with the top shape of the main body. So, not much to see yet. All the shots make it look like the top angled bit has a curve to it, but ended up going with a straight cut, but it still looks a bit fat in the back, seen in the second shot.

M-117AMR01a.jpg
    M-117AMR01b.jpg
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    wow! THATS IMPRESSIVE! I was thinking of going into character modeling. Any idea where i should start? (im already pretty advanced in hard-surface modeling).
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where to start? Jump in and do it! (blockout/proportions, build up details, etc) Picking something someone else has already designed and sticking to it might be a good start; less chance to skimp on details perhaps.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking a bit more like a rifle now :) Cleaned up some wires, still a mess, and I'm ok with that, it's like 87.71% planar anyway. I've a feeling I did the grooves too tight together. I spread them out a couple of times, and they still get a bit lost.

M-117AMR02a.jpg
    M-117AMR02b.jpg

Here's a better ref pic of the rifle.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some of those creases in the gun are mad hard.
    loosen that shit a bit i want to see some smothness :D
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M-117AMR04a.jpg

A fair bit of progress, I've also been helping someone rig up some SFX for their mod project. I need to fix up the handle, the groove there sucks. Also, that little notch on the lower tip of the barrel? I spent wayyy too long on that, always ended up with some pinching, so I added more horizontal loops and fixed those up; but I was really resisting doing so. Not too happy with the circle/triangle cut nearby, but what I have works.

Bitmap, I haven't gone in to relax any edges yet, do you mean the overall hardness of the model or just the inset stuff? I really dig the boxy look of the butt area.

Also, is there a way I can set AA for the Maya viewport?
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M-117AMR05a.jpg

Alright, done with the highpoly unless anyone spots something they'd like to point out. My apologies for the height of the floating holes, looks kind of nasty from an angle.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    lookin goooood
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M-117AMRBakeTestFail.jpg

Ok, having problems here. I've never done highpoly bakes quite like this, so I read up a bunch today, but can't get a good result. I've got the hard edges there, UVs are split along them, and the shells separated. I've made an appropriate cage in Maya, and tossed the whole lot over to xNormal for bake testing before I move on. Even other areas like the smooth bevel-y bit on the main body are turning out bad regardless of hard or soft edges. So, what am I missing here?

Unless I really am missing the point and just need to bevel all those 90 degree angles?
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    If you made them hard and split the UVs, you should be fine.
    Most likely, the hard edge data got lost between maya and Xnormal. I would actually recommend you to bake the normals in maya, and the AO in Xn since it's so much faster for that. (might need a cage for the AO to match perfectly tho)
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did try a bake or two in Maya with mostly the same results, but thanks. Just got back to hit on the problem some more. xNormal controls ray direction via the cage, so a copy of the lowpoly inflated out should work fine for the 90 degree stuff, right?

Edit: Oh, and this time my Maya bake worked right off the bat for the hard angles, but not the smooth ones. Manipulating 'Search Envelope %' in Transfer Maps is supposed to in/deflate the displayed cage I thought. I'm not seeing any visual feedback on this, and I thought that's how it worked in the past.

Edit2: Turns out there's a discrepancy in my pre-vis app. Looks like it's getting binormals and tangents backwards when a couple flags are set. All is well.
  • iansmithartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iansmithartist polycounter lvl 14
    That body armour looks great, lots of great detail. Looking forward to seeing progress with the normal map. :thumbup:
  • Clockwork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior, y'know I reminded myself of that... when I was just about done. :) Thanks guys, I'll try shortening up the upper torso and bringing it in somewhat. Like I mentioned, I'm mostly constrained to the Fallout 3 body/skeleton; which already has some proportional issues. Bad me for using it as a template, but I don't think I have much choice in that aspect.

Hmm, is it not possible to make custom skeletons for Fallout 3?
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clockwork wrote: »
    Hmm, is it not possible to make custom skeletons for Fallout 3?
    Yes it's possible, but appropriate changes would need to be reflected in the animations. And there's entirely too many of those to even consider. Unless we had a batch tool to process things like bone length on them. :D
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone ever run into a little bug in maya where sometimes an undo action reverts to some old state of your UVs? I've usually done another undo or a redo and that fixes the problem, but not this time I guess. I was hoping to have my AO bake started before I went to work. gah.
  • Tea Monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tea Monster polycounter lvl 14
    Looking sweet. +1 on seeing your baking adventures.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clip texture has a little work to go, but I'm going to call it on the rest. I'm not entirely happy with it, but it came out pretty well; I've been going in circles trying to get the effects I want out of it.

Model is 4.9k triangles/2048 texture. i'm feeling naughty.

M-117AMRMarmoset1.jpg
    M-117AMRMarmoset1a.jpg
  • HAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAL polycounter lvl 13
    Well if the main part of the gun should be synthetic, you got way to much noise in your texture - as well in your metal parts.

Metal itself is not that noisy and the easiest way to make it look interesting is by using small details.

Check racer's tutorials here -> www.racer445.com

really good stuff and it should also cover a lot of the issues your texture has atm.

Also for the plastic, plastic in general has a high specular exponent value and a relativly strong specular.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice bake! good start on the textures too, I do agree with HAL
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks HAL, maybe I will sit this one down for a few days and give it another shot.
    My original plan was for a synthetic body, but it looked a bit too bland. Normally I'm a fan of minimalism, but it didn't quite come out right, so I veered towards this synth/metal hybrid look as I worked it up. (and stopped looking at references :O)
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I think the texture has too much grudge.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could use some advice or tips on this one, I'm having trouble getting at this here. Here's some references of more or less what I'm after:

The first is more accurate to what I'm wanting to create. Dark base for the 'pits', lighter layer for the 'bumps', which have a nice flat/plateau look in the spec (the second image has a more rounded bumpy look). Not sure exactly how much to put into the normal map. I've tried filtering different layers of noise, but can't quite bring them together to good effect. I haven't really gone after a grunge brush on this, not sure how to get all that pixelly goodness without overlayering with the brush, y'know?
    Does anyone have any insight on how to do this well?
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M-117AMRMarmoset2a.jpg

Embossing seems to help, I might go with this.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think this looks much better, maybe a bit bland still?

M-117AMRMarmoset3a.jpg
    M-117AMRWires.jpg
    M-117AMRFlats.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah looks great, a little wear and tear in the right places would really sell it
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Ged, I'm a little leary of going back in for that for this material, but I'll likely give it another shot later.

Getting Briareos started now, the arms aren't defined yet, and I'm working on the legs right now, they need to be a bit beefier. I searched around for a while, and couldn't find many good examples of shoulder topology. I don't really need them really super defined for this, so I don't really want to go nuts with my loops just now, but was curious what you guys' thoughts on that were?

Not too worried about the groin and knees, since those will be redone when I retop for the pants, kneepad and codpiece. The arms look like normal ones to me, with the exaggerated cybermuscle stuff being floating geometry.

Here's some refs:

AEX_B_Body1a.jpgAEX_B_Body1b.jpg
  • AprilStorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is amazing work. Did you ever finish the Deunan Knute model?