Home Technical Talk

Default settings in Maya 2009

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
I've notice some settings, I'd like to stay as defaults, will change after I've closed Maya 2009. What is the way to ensure my settings will remain the way I like, each time I've opened.

I'd like my scenes to use "no lighting", my hardware texture display to use "Unfiltered", both in viewport and UV editor, by default, for example.

Thanks, Maya is becoming awesome the more I learn how to bend it to my will.

-kpenis

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.djx.com.au/blog/customizing-maya/
    I believe these settings would go into Maya.env. Via the script editor, 'Echo all commands' can be turned on to get the names/arguments for the commands you want when you click on them. (since most non-scene based info doesn't normally show up there)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the bit about "userSetup.mel" is what I'm looking for, now to make the script... ;) thanks
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't work as good as I'd hope. Looks like I'd need to know a little more about mel scripting or maybe another approach. Thanks anyway.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    KP> There's also the feature to set your own default scene under the options of File > New. Meaning you can tweak a scene file to your liking, and have that as the default scene you start of with when you go New. Many things you might not have thought are saved as a scene-specific settings, such as Framerate for instance.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I had our tech artist set up a similar thing where my scene defaults to backface culled and wireframe on shaded it was some fancy shit though I have no idea how he did it. Killing people I use this script mapped to 6 which I can't live without. You might like it, texture mode with no lighting, I haven't looked at a textured model lit in the viewport in over 8 years seems completely pointless to me.

DisplayShadedAndTextured;
    $thePanel= `getPanel -wf`;
    modelEditor -e -dl none $thePanel;
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    Try to add that in your userSetp.mel
    // NoLight Mode
    modelEditor -e -dl none `getPanel -wf`;

// unfieltred mode in the Viewport
    modelEditor -e  -td "modulate" -ts 1 -ta 1 `getPanel -wf`;

// unfieltred mode in the UV Editor
    textureWindow -e -imageUnfiltered 1 polyTexturePlacementPanel1; txtWndUpdateEditor("polyTexturePlacementPanel1", "textureWindow", "null", 101);

About the "unfieltred mode in the UV Editor" line this is something I got on the fly... this is not clean at all but could work....