Home Technical Talk

Blur Studio releases Py3dsMax beta

Amazing news for those of you looking to make the switch to Python.
"We have developed a way to run Python as a complete replacement of Maxscript in 3dsMax, utilizing Python and PyQt to develop tools, we're hoping to revolutionize the ability to develop fast, efficient and powerful utilities.
All the information you need to get going can be found at our new development website:
http://blur-dev.googlecode.com "
Read the full, original post by Eric Hulser on CGS - http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=816475

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Holy crap I didn't think they where going to take it that far...

Bye bye mel.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    hopefully they opensource this, bet there would be many who could contribute to making this robust... personally I would love to look into turning it into a Lua version.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    So does this potentially mean there could be universal scripts, or would the python still be calling functions and stuff unique to each software? Hmm come to think of it, I wonder exactly how the python interfaces with each software. Time to do some learning, I guess.

This really opens up some awesome possibilities.:)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah unless someone does some serious legwork I doubt there'd ever be a common python library for Max and Maya ... the ways for accessing various things and calling commands are so different it'd be a nightmare to try and sync it all up.

The main benefit is only having to learn one language instead of two or three :)

QT is also looking pretty promising now that it might get some support in Max since Maya is already moving towards it.
  • ArYeS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArYeS polycounter lvl 8
    Oh finally... now I have the reason why to learn python